To those who want to run the ball more (me included), this is NOT the staff that knows HOW to do it

ajt1970

I have said this repeatedly on this board and other places, Riley and Langsdorf and company are not, and will never be, the ones to bring Nebraska back to glory, and certainly not with a powerful rushing attack.

Just listen to them in their press conferences. The running game is barely mentioned, maybe as a quick comment on the running game (I laughed to myself when Langsdorf said they did a good job running the ball when all the team had was a paltry 150 yards or so...really? That is a "good job" running? Try 300+). All their focus and attention is on the passing game. It is what they know, what they are comfortable with. Just listen to them...it is always about "routes, coverage, throwing the ball, pass protection, QB made some good throws"...even when talking about running backs, more of their choice of words (hence, focus) is on "running routes" and "pass protection" than it is actually running the ball. These are dead giveaways of showing just how committed this staff is to the passing game and how little they are committed to the running game.

And I still have yet to see any kind of audible system on running plays for getting out of dead plays and checking into good running plays. If the playcall from the huddle is I-back inside zone and clearly the defense has the middle clogged up based on their formation, check out of it into an outside stretch play away from the free safety, QB counter or bootleg, etc. It's all about the numbers game at the point of attack. If you have 5 guys versus their 7 in that area, not a good idea. Yet, it looks to me like Nebraska sticks with the huddle playcall regardless of what defensive front is shown. Dumb if that is true.

I get it when fans say to RUN THE BALL. I say the same thing every gameday this season. But this staff is very limited in what they know about building a solid running attack. They aren't capable. To execute the running attack CORRECTLY and in a DOMINANT way, you have to have the talent (which I feel NU has, it is good enough) and you need the right coaching staff technicians for knowing and understanding the running game, and that at the moment Nebraska does not have.

Langsdorf and Riley want to gunsling the ball around 50 times a game if they can (49 today) and to fans like me, that really really sucks. So if Riley and Langsdorf aren't the answer, then what is....unfortunately until NU gets a new coaching staff in that DOES understand and place a huge emphasis on the running attack, we are stuck with a has-been-that-never-was coaching staff and their gunslinging ways. And that is a travesty.

• Fire 1

I honestly don't care what we do if it wins. If we throw it around like Baylor that's fine if we win like Baylor. Did that sentence just happen? What world do we live in?

Honestly, I do care how we win as well as that we win! for now, I would like to win anyway possible but it appears that winning is not 'in the cards' this season. I therefore believe we must focus on the future! Riley is here to rebuild Nebraska into a championship caliber program who can get us back in to the top ten of college football.

I believe Riley needs to focus on 2016 and 2017. Assuming he is going to be retained for another year or two, he needs to show progress NEXT YEAR. Winning a crappy bowl game is NOT as important as having a winning season next year! To do that, he better be getting his young players as much experience and practice and game reps as possible. We can't afford to play seniors and even juniors as 2nd stringers at this point in the season. next year starts Saturday in my view! Play the freshmen and sophs.

Talk to us about those running stats from today.

Please tell me, what is so difficult to grasp about this?

THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO RUN THE BALL OR COMMIT TO THE RUN. THE RUN IS MERELY WINDOW-DRESSING FOR AND COMPLIMENTARY TO THE PASSING GAME WITH THIS STAFF.

The reason our rushing game is unsuccessful is because we have ZERO COMMITMENT TO IT. There is no creativity to our running game, and no technique or toughness instilled into these kids to foster a running game. Our starting running back isn't our starter because he is our best runner, but because he is our "best all around back" (Riley's words in his presser a couple of weeks ago), ie: He catches the ball and pass protects the best.

How many different types of ways did we attack Northwestern's defense with our rushing game? Did you see a lot of variety besides Newby and/or Cross up the gut? I remember 1 option play with TA (when he scored a TD), 1 bootleg run with TD (also a TA TD), 1 jet sweep attempt, 2 rushes by Jano up the gut. Did you see anything else that I missed? Were there any counter plays? Did we run any zone read? Any other traditional option looks besides the 1 TA scored on? Any more bootleg rushes besides the one TA scored on? Any sprint-outs? Any halfback sweeps/tosses? Did any of our other running backs besides the aforementioned get a shot to carry the ball when Newby and Cross clearly weren't getting it done? Like oh, I don't know, those 2 freshman who looked good earlier in the season, Wilbon and Ozigbo, who have seemingly COMPLETELY disappeared from this team?

"Oh, we got stuffed, time to go back to the air!" THAT is the mentality of this staff. Watch the Iowa-Northwestern game and observe how Iowa's run was kept in check at first, and then proceeded to wear down and then dominate Northwestern with their rushing attack and physicality. That is what commitment to the running game is. This team simply is not coached or taught how to have a physical running game. It is a technique and mentality which these coaches simply do not possess or understand--it is completely foreign to them. This has become quite clear. If a run gets stuffed, we go straight to the pass. How many times did we even run the ball twice in a row? Let alone three times in a row.

Here are some stats for you: There were at least 50 pass plays called in this game (if you count the plays Tommy was sacked) out of 86. That is calling for a pass play on 58% of your offensive plays. Please tell me in what alternate universe it makes sense for Tommy Armstrong to EVER be asked to throw 50 passes in a game? Or in what alternate universe a Tommy Armstrong led Nebraska team has over 50 pass plays and expects to win?

To paraphrase Dan Hawkins: "This ain't Corvallis, brother."

• Fire 1

I honestly don't care what we do if it wins. If we throw it around like Baylor that's fine if we win like Baylor. Did that sentence just happen? What world do we live in?

Honestly, I do care how we win as well as that we win! for now, I would like to win anyway possible but it appears that winning is not 'in the cards' this season. I therefore believe we must focus on the future! Riley is here to rebuild Nebraska into a championship caliber program who can get us back in to the top ten of college football.

I believe Riley needs to focus on 2016 and 2017. Assuming he is going to be retained for another year or two, he needs to show progress NEXT YEAR. Winning a crappy bowl game is NOT as important as having a winning season next year! To do that, he better be getting his young players as much experience and practice and game reps as possible. We can't afford to play seniors and even juniors as 2nd stringers at this point in the season. next year starts Saturday in my view! Play the freshmen and sophs.

So you're saying don't play:

Tommy Armstrong

Josh Banderas

Cethan Carter

Maliek Collins

Sam Cotton

Ross Dzuris

Sam Foltz

Trey Foster

Ryker Fyfe

Nate Gerry

Lane Hovey

Kevin Maurice

Greg McMullen

Alonzo Moore

Terrell Newby

Brandon Reilly

Michael Rose-Ivey

Vincent Valentine

Jordan Westerkamp

All of whom are juniors and returning next season? Makes. Sense.

Doesn't Baylor actually run the ball a ton?

Yep. 25th in rush attempts. They've finished in the top 15 in rush attempts the last couple years also, but you know what are stats these days

^ To the OP, it's definitely possible. I mean, either the run game just isn't that talented anymore, which is another serious possibility, or the coaches are only average at figuring out how to put together a potent rushing attack (between design and playcalls).

It could even be a little bit of both.

I think they're trying, but they're not finding enough that's able to work. It's come close. But no cigar.

The jet sweep (and fake action) is nice, the occasional FB run is nice, QB designed runs are nice, but these are never all the time. Maybe they should tr to do it all the time and throw in X, Y, and Z other plays -- or maybe these guards and RBs just don't have it. :shrug:

• Fire 1

Every time Newby does get the ball he runs into his own linemen and falls down. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in commiting to the run game. There are just so many issues its hard to focus on one

Agreed that Newby is horrible. But rather than abandon the run, why not plug in an actual running back instead of a glorified pass blocker?

Hujan - I agree with you.

"rather than abandon the run, why not plug in an actual running back instead of a glorified pass blocker?"

But that is just how this staff chooses to see the game, thru the lens of pass-the-ball-around NFL style, so everything revolves around that basic philosophy. Hence, I-backs and fullbacks are graded on their route running and pass protection blocking, Not on their running abilities of finding running lanes, breaking tackles, etc.

If someone is happy with a pass-first mentality and very little DETAIL to running the ball, this is the kind of coach for you (though I feel it will never lead NU back to elite status). However, for guys like me that know and appreciate a punishing runshing attack, these Oregon State guys with their limited knowledge in being technicians at committing and establishing the running game, they will never be the answer.