LJS: Christopherson Game Recap

zoogs

I sort of take that quote as he realizes he is starting to lose the grip of this team and players are quitting on him....

This is worse than 2007.

i don't know if his kids are quitting on him, but i am pretty sure our guys doubt his offensive philosophy at least and the defensive secondary coach should be relieved at the end of the season.

Although these players are adults, they are young adults who are still learning....you start to lose enough close games and don't win you develop doubt in what a coach is coaching. I am sure there is a lot of frustration with the players because they are losing all these close games and you can go back and look at poor coaching decisions on how we lost those close games.

I don't think they are quitting...I think the scores show they fight. I think they are just not sold on Rie

What a motivational speech there, Coach... Makes me want to jump right up and fold some socks or maybe wait till after a nap.

Perhaps we should change our slogan from "Go Big Red!" to "Show up if you feel like it, or whatever."

Yep. IIRC we lose one more home game and it will be the first time in history we have a losing record at home......

Just an average guys mentality with no real expectations of achieving greatness......

that statement scares me, at 62 he is not going to ride off in the sunset as a guy with an impressive record.........he is comfortable with his coaches, Banker and others, who have enjoyed no particular success either......he has been a .500 guy and stuck at Oregon State for years........he seldom switched out any of his assistants, hoping to get better, so that tells me his comfort zone is not predicated on the drive for wins........average Joe, we f'ing don't need that!

Realistically could you see him getting rid of any of "his guys" at the end of the season? I can't, if you have never done it and you are 62 now and in the final 3-10 years of your career you probably don't start doing it now.

What a motivational speech there, Coach... Makes me want to jump right up and fold some socks or maybe wait till after a nap.

Perhaps we should change our slogan from "Go Big Red!" to "Show up if you feel like it, or whatever."

shows me that Riley knows how to lose...........2-3 more years?? no f'ing way! he will fold under the pressure, this is not f'ing Oregon!!!!!!!!!!!

I sort of take that quote as he realizes he is starting to lose the grip of this team and players are quitting on him....

This is worse than 2007.

This isn't 2007...we won't get that until 2017. That will come after the losing becomes the accepted culture. I think Riley is losing this team, it's current roster. A team made up mostly of Juniors and sophomores. They've been shown all the worst ways of losing this year. Blow outs happen. Heisman candidates happen. Giving your all on comebacks to lose for poor clock management or play calling guts you. That losing is the kind that makes guys pull up on a route, stumble in pursuit, whiff on a block, and makes every injury seem major.

Imani Cross said yesterday he didn't want to make a negative statement and therefore didn't want to say anything at all. That shows what's in the locker room psyche. Bring in whoever you want and they'll learn that attitude from upperclassmen, that's the way it has ALWAYS worked. You can talk about flushing out the "bad apples" all you want but the end result will be 2007 when you have nothing but a roster of guys just out for themselves and no "team" at all.

An honest question. What in Riley's career makes you think he will be successful here?

He sure sounds like he knows what he's talking about, unlike Bo Pelini.

Riley always seems to have the right answer and he seems to see the same things that I believe this team needs to fix. He clearly doesn't see the effort thing as an issue from what we've heard him say. So I guess that's good for him and is definitely telling as to why he doesn't seem to be too worried about accountability. Hard to address a problem that you don't see as a problem in the first place.

Aside from that, I've always liked his plan. I like the coaches he's surrounded himself with. I like the philosophy and scheme on both offense and defense. I just don't think the players excute either one very consistently.

I'd like to see the guy get a shot at things with a little bit more of a roster he's built for himself and his coaches.

Aside from that, I can't judge him too much based on his history as far as win/losses go. He was at Oregon St.. Nobody wins there........ except for Riley.

A lot of smart people say he's a good coach. He was offered some really top tier positions in the past, that can't be for no reason.

I'm not going to judge him too harshly based on his 8 games so far into this season either.

Like I said, I just like the way he does things and I happen to think both the offensive and defensive plans will come together just fine if we can get guys to execute them more consistently. It's not happening right now.

Riley talks a great game, and says all the right things, but that doesn't magically turn L's into W's. Nothing I have seen from this coaching staff's decision making so far this season says they have the capability to coach a consistent winning football team. But hey, maybe just like Oregon St we'll have that 1 year out of 10 where the ball bounces a different direction and we win 10 whole games. Too bad every other season, just like this one, we'll shake our heads and try to figure out why we hired this staff in the first damned place.

• Fire 1

Hmmm, that is interesting. I am not a big fan of his press conferences and what he says, I don't know exactly why but it just seems like it is probably the same exact things he has been saying forever. I do like how approaches the questions and the press conferences though.

I also don't like who he surrounded himself with but that is just a philosophy thing on my end. If I was him I would have went and found the very best recruiters that I could possibly get. That would have been the most important part of the job description. But that is just what I think he should have done.

Bingo--I share the same thoughts in regards to Riley's comments after losses sounding like he's said all this before.

After the Wisconsin game press conference, I was thinking about trying to find a video of one of his Oregon St press conferences following a loss to see if this is the same rehearsed pattern.

Golly, we sure tried like heck to win that one, but boy we just couldn't get it done.. . We'll go back to work on Monday and try are darnedest to get better, aw shucks losing sucks.

I just feel bad for the players. Riley had a shot to hire an excellent staff. He's been in the business long enough to have connections. What he had at Oregon State, worked for Oregon State. Mike needs to take a real long look in the mirror and decide it's either him or them. There are coaches out there that will go out and find the best assistants possible. I think he at least could consider staff changes otherwise if it's the same result in year 2, he's a goner.

This is worse than 2007.

2004. 2007 was 4th year of a regime. So much different circumstance. Why cant you ppl think a little bit instead of making kneejerk overreaction comments. Anyone could see this storm coming if we lost an early game or two. This team is mentally weak under diress. Has been for years. They arent quitting cuz they doubt riley. Theyre quitting cuz they second guess the change. They dont wanna understand the process of system changes. Cuz like theyre old Bofriend "theyre not big picture ppl".
  • Fire 1