Yays and Nays: Huskers have lost control of their backyard

NUance

562bd661066a5.image.jpg?resize=620%2C464

Yays and Nays: Huskers have lost control of their backyard
8 hours ago • By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON | LINCOLN JOURNAL STAR

<snip>

Nay

You can say run the ball more all you want. And, one supposes, you could make a case that a team can't run the ball effectively without total commitment to it. But you might also see where Langsdorf is coming from on days like Saturday.

When your offensive line is getting swallowed up front, when you can produce just 82 yards on 38 carries, the coordinator is in a predicament. He gave the ball to his backs 25 times. Not once did the Huskers break a run of at least 10 yards on those carries.

LINK

Christopherson points our a few of the bad things from Saturday. And tries to find a few bright spots.

Watched Carolina Panthers last night. They did a great job showing Cam running the zone. Showed how effective it is. Against Philly who hadn't allowed a single 100 yrd rusher all season. Another thing was watching Stewart and Tolbert hit the line like wrecking balls hole or not. And actually getting yards after contact. I have yet to see Newby run with authority or get yards after contact.

The greatest comment I heard was on Cam running. "With a running QB, you now have and extra guy (RB) to block so you are now 10 on 11 and a chance to spring something. Langs might be "committed" to a run game, but its in number of plays called, not actually trying to get something done. Newly between the tackles? Stupid.

You have to use a guy multiple ways to keep from tipping your hand just from personnel out on the field.

No, Newby isn't great between the tackles, but as I said, don't wanna tip your hand.

Also, anyone can run up the middle if the line play is efficient/sufficient. LaMichael James did it at Oregon.

Maybe more 2 back sets? More designed QB runs? Go back to the zone read?

That's my biggest frustration with this staff. All the talent at the RB position, a dynamic runner in TA, speed in DPE, Morgan, Turner etc and they have no concept on how to use any of this. Its like they were so "poor" at OSU, they just want to play with all the new toys once or twice and then move onto the next new toy because there are so many...

Watched Carolina Panthers last night. They did a great job showing Cam running the zone. Showed how effective it is. Against Philly who hadn't allowed a single 100 yrd rusher all season. Another thing was watching Stewart and Tolbert hit the line like wrecking balls hole or not. And actually getting yards after contact. I have yet to see Newby run with authority or get yards after contact.

The greatest comment I heard was on Cam running. "With a running QB, you now have and extra guy (RB) to block so you are now 10 on 11 and a chance to spring something. Langs might be "committed" to a run game, but its in number of plays called, not actually trying to get something done. Newly between the tackles? Stupid.

I live in Charlotte and have watched the Panthers for the last 15 years. While I agree it was awesome to see such a powerful running game last night against a stout D, the Panthers have been doing this for years. This is their offensive identity. The #1 receiver is Ted freakin Ginn. They've drafted/signed linemen with the power run mentality in mind. Nebraska seems to have recruited linemen all over the place, with no real purpose in mind. It also helps to have RB's like Stewart and Tolbert who will run over defenders and fall forward for an additional 2-3 yards instead of try to side step them (Newby) up the middle and get tackled backwards. Simply falling forwards on runs completely changes the down/distance by more than many realize.

• Fire 2

I live in Charlotte and have watched the Panthers for the last 15 years. While I agree it was awesome to see such a powerful running game last night against a stout D, the Panthers have been doing this for years. This is their offensive identity. The #1 receiver is Ted freakin Ginn. They've drafted/signed linemen with the power run mentality in mind. Nebraska seems to have recruited linemen all over the place, with no real purpose in mind. It also helps to have RB's like Stewart and Tolbert who will run over defenders and fall forward for an additional 2-3 yards instead of try to side step them (Newby) up the middle and get tackled backwards. Simply falling forwards on runs completely changes the down/distance by more than many realize.

Agree. IDENTITY. We haven't had one in years. They have a system and draft/trade for it. On both sides of the ball. Rex spoiled us with the bolded. I don't think he rarely lost a yard if he got to the LOS.

I have complained about this mismatch crap at NU for years. No system, means no specific recruiting. How do you effectively target guys when you run hodge lodge of a scheme.

Lived in Charlotte when they got Panthers and left in 2002. I have followed them ever since. Been back in NC the last 8 years. They look good right now. GB will be a huge test.

Agree. IDENTITY. We haven't had one in years. They have a system and draft/trade for it. On both sides of the ball. Rex spoiled us with the bolded. I don't think he rarely lost a yard if he got to the LOS.

I have complained about this mismatch crap at NU for years. No system, means no specific recruiting. How do you effectively target guys when you run hodge lodge of a scheme.

Lived in Charlotte when they got Panthers and left in 2002. I have followed them ever since. Been back in NC the last 8 years. They look good right now. GB will be a huge test.

I agree completely, and hopefully we are seeing this change soon here at Nebraska. To run this scheme effectively that Riley wants to run we are going to need really good Tackles. Getting Farniok and Nathan Smith would be a HUGE coup for this team. Athletic tackles that can pass block are essential to the pro style team that Riley envisions. With the amount of screens that we're going to be running, all linemen must be able to get out into space and make blocks. This is part of the issue with our screen game now, many (if not all) of our starting offensive linemen simply don't have the athleticism or ability to get out in space on a screen and make a legal, effective block down the field. While drops from the WR's have been the #1 issue for me the past 6-7 games, the inability of the O-Line to seemingly do anything is #2.

Yay
The Huskers were helped by some drops, and clearly Northwestern quarterback Clayton Thorson is a work-in-progress. And the Wildcats did throw for 121 yards in the final 15 minutes.
So this "yay" is not exactly shouted through a megaphone, but Nebraska did hold Northwestern to 177 passing yards, which was about half of the average the Huskers were giving up each game. The Wildcats had just 16 passing yards in the first half.

Our pass D did look better--for about three quarters. But then the Northwestern offense showed a little life in the 4th quarter. And our own offense didn't. Until it was too late. :hmmph

I am amazed at how bad NU has become at home. This has been an issue for a number of years, but the team doesn't want to take advantage of the home crowd.

NU's crowd is typically a crowd that feeds off great play by the team. When NU was a dominant team, the team would enforce it's will, jump out ahead of a team, and the crowd would feed off that, then the team would feed off the crowd. It was a repetitive cycle.

Now, the team comes out flat with no urgency. The team makes early mistakes, falls behind, and the crowd's attitude is "well, here we go again". The crowd wants to see good football, and that's not happening.

Yay
The Huskers were helped by some drops, and clearly Northwestern quarterback Clayton Thorson is a work-in-progress. And the Wildcats did throw for 121 yards in the final 15 minutes.
So this "yay" is not exactly shouted through a megaphone, but Nebraska did hold Northwestern to 177 passing yards, which was about half of the average the Huskers were giving up each game. The Wildcats had just 16 passing yards in the first half.

Our pass D did look better--for about three quarters. But then the Northwestern offense showed a little life in the 4th quarter. And our own offense didn't. Until it was too late. :hmmph

McKewon had a great point that the 2 long Thorson runs were against NU's pass D. Yes, they were rushing yards, but they were against the pass D. The pass rush left open lanes for the QB to run, and then the back 7 were caught flat-footed and slow to respond. That's exactly what happens when NU faces pass plays.

Yay

McKewon had a great point that the 2 long Thorson runs were against NU's pass D. Yes, they were rushing yards, but they were against the pass D. The pass rush left open lanes for the QB to run, and then the back 7 were caught flat-footed and slow to respond. That's exactly what happens when NU faces pass plays.

I wonder if our leaky 4th quarter pass D was due to adjustments we made to account for Thorson's running? Just spitballin' here.

Yay

I wonder if our leaky 4th quarter pass D was due to adjustments we made to account for Thorson's running? Just spitballin' here.

I read that NU did make adjustments to play more contain after Thorson's big runs in the first half. That led to more plays from the RB and TE. Either way, it's the pass defense that allowed Thorson's big runs in the first half. The pass defense has been terrible all season long, and Banker/Riley don't seem to concerned about it.