Eichorst Rant

I , for one, think Eichorst simply biding his time until Alverez retired at Wisconsin.

His tenure at Nebraska will help accustom him to Big Ten

For which you have absolutely nothing but your wild ass guess to base that off of.

Don't you know Eichorst just came here to sabotage the Nebraska football program, thus making it easier for Wisconsin to control the West when he takes over for Alvarez in a couple years?

I don't think Riley should be fired not should this hired be considered "bad" yet. Riley came into a very toxic environment and has brought an entirely new system in. I figured this year would be tough and I figured this would take more than a year to fix some of the problems the program had developed under Pelini. While I'm not happy with the results so far I am quite optimistic that Riley can win at Nebraska.

As far as the AD, I think you have to look at the entire athletic program as a whole while also giving Riley more than a year (half season) to determine the quality of the hire.

This is why the Riley hiring really struck me as odd when it was announced. Personally, I was and still am very excited about the Riley hiring. However, I do wonder why he took the job? He has been given ample opportunities over the years to leave Oregon State, but he stayed. He was offered much better jobs than here, yet he stayed at Oregon State. Riley has been around the block enough times to know exactly what he was getting himself into by taking this job. The one thing I still do not understand is why he took it. Going to a program underperforming in a recruiting hotbed like USC sounds a lot more enjoyable than coming to a program who just fired a perennial nine win coach where recruiting is difficult at best.

The only thing similar between Riley and Clownahan is the situations they inherited when they came here. Both came into a situation where there was a lot of questioning with regards if the previous coach should have been removed. Both came into a program that had won nine games the year before. Other than that, there really is no comparison.

Honest answer, he was going to be force retired/resigned. People were not happy with his results there.

And the offers to better jobs than Nebraska, to the extent one can rely on those rumors, were years ago and in the midst of the moderately successful run that OSU had between '06 and '08. Even then, it was a bit of a mirage. Oregon State was fairly talented those years.

From the 2007 to the 2009 drafts, they had 11 guys draft. Despite that, they lost to some awful teams badly those years.

By comparison, NU had 10 guys drafted (including a kicker).

Personally, I think the serious offers/interests to Riley weren't really there.

The only thing similar between Riley and Clownahan is the situations they inherited when they came here. Both came into a situation where there was a lot of questioning with regards if the previous coach should have been removed. Both came into a program that had won nine games the year before. Other than that, there really is no comparison.

Both brought in an NFL type offense. Both brought in their medicore buddies as DC. Both started a square-peg QB in a round hole. Both were hired by Harvey's henchmen. Both broke longtime NCAA leading streaks in their first season. Both had trouble dealing with the huge rosters in spring ball.

Should I keep going?

• Fire 2

Both brought in an NFL type offense. Both brought in their medicore buddies as DC. Both started a square-peg QB in a round hole. Both were hired by Harvey's henchmen. Both broke longtime NCAA leading streaks in their first season. Both had trouble dealing with the huge rosters in spring ball.

Should I keep going?

So will both show marked improvement in their second season? And win the division in their third?

• Fire 1

Should I keep going?

So will both show marked improvement in their second season? And win the division in their third?

And then both will keep their buddy defensive coordinator hire around longer than they should and tether their head coaching career at Nebraska to the team's history-making poor defensive performance?

Should I keep going?

Marked improvement? I guess that's one benefit of having a historically bad season. Having another historically bad season the very next year can look like marked improvement if it's not quite as historically bad as the first.

Callahan's 2nd season was still the 3rd worst season at Nebraska in 36 years.

• Fire 1

Should I keep going?

1. Pro-style offenses really aren't that uncommon in college football. Shawn Watson's offense was based on the WCO. Tim Beck's offense didn't look all that much different from Watson's to me, but since he called it "multiple" I guess that's what everybody went with.

2. So did Pelini after Carl went to FAU.

3. So did Watson and Beck with Martinez and Armstrong.

4. Harvey hired Osborne too, so I'm not sure where you're going with the "henchmen" thing.

5. The streak that Callahan broke was a lot more important. I don't think very many people even knew that there was a "home opener winning streak" until we lost to BYU. This would be a more meaningful comparison if we finish with a losing record this year (which, to be fair, is very likely to happen).

6. To be honest, I'm not sure what you're referring to here.

Really the only other major similarity that couldn't be claimed for Pelini or pretty much any other coach we could've brought in instead of Riley is that, if we finish with a losing record, he and Callahan both did that their first year. Everything else just seems like a reach to me.

GBR that is what I am worried about...say he finishes 4-8 this year...next year he goes 6-6...are we all of a sudden supposed be thrilled?

Upward trend!

But 4-8 would definitely qualify as historically bad. It would be the worst season since 1958. 57 years.

Out of 126 Husker football seasons all time, 4-8 would rank as #116 by winning percentage.

8 losses would be the 2nd most losses ever recorded by a Husker team in 126 years.

If he happens to lose out and go 3-9? That would tie for the most losses EVER recorded by a Husker football team.