College Football Matrix: Anti-Coach Effect

Mavric

Almost losing to South Dakota State one year, Wyoming another year, and McNeese State last year. You cannot possibly tell me that those are more talented teams than Nebraska.

In case you missed it, Riley actually did lose to Illinois.

Illinois.

Who's to say that Pelini wouldn't have?

Well...history I guess.

Look, hate Bo, Love Bo...the simple fact is he won well over 60% of his games and the simple fact is he got blown out bad about 15-20 times.

Love Riley or hate Riley...the simple fact is he has lost over 100 games and has started off horribly this season. But he has some very nice wins on his resume.

Still though, as close as we came against those "automatic win" teams I listed above, it's not a stretch to think that Nebraska would've found a way to lose against Illinois this year with Pelini coaching too.

Is this based on recruiting rankings of the incoming class when they sign?

Or is it based upon the number of guys that are actually still on the team or panned out?

I mean, if they're just including committed classes, is that really an accurate way to do things? We have a lot of guys that were Pelini recruits that never made an impact when Pelini was here, and haven't been impact players in Riley's tenure yet. A bunch of them aren't even on the team anymore.

Obviously though, if we're talking about Riley doing less with more in THIS SEASON then it's only fair to judge him on what he actually has? Or is this just another one of those things we come up with to dump on Mike Riley....?

Mauro Bondi

Joe Carter

Max Pirman

Charles Jackson

Aaron Green

David Santos

Zach Sterup

Bubba Starling

Ryan Klachko

Tyler Moore

Aaron Curry

Corey Whitaker

Leroy Alexander

Jared Afalava

Avery Moss

Thomas Brown

Paul Thurston

Drake Martinez

Trevell Dixon

Dwayne Johnson

Boaz Joseph

Matt Finnin

Ernest Suttles

David Knevel

D.J. Singleton

Adam Taylor

Zach Hannon

Johnny Stanton

Gabriel Miller

Kevin Gladney

Greg Hart

Courtney Love

A.J. Natter

Deandre Wills

A.J. Bush

Sedrick King

Jariah Tolbert

Joe Keels

Jaevon Walton

Robert Lockhart

Peyton Newell

Lorenzo Stewart

Monte Harrison

Zack Darlington

Trai Mosley

Tanner Farmer

I mean.....that's a lot of names. Those are all committed players from 2011-2014 that have not really been impactful here at Nebraska. Riley's only been here 10 months.

Are all those let downs Rileys fault too?

Get f'ing' real.

being out coached regularly is Riley's fault.... Cant blame everything on Bo because you got what you wanted (Bo canned). I was over Bo's behavior to but you will never convince me that this team is really a 3-5 team.. and those of you living in the 12 points from 8-0, grow up. Reality is that were 3-5 and these coaches suck...

Almost losing to South Dakota State one year, Wyoming another year, and McNeese State last year. You cannot possibly tell me that those are more talented teams than Nebraska.

Illinois.

Harold the old man that hangs out over by Joe's crab shack told me he traveled to our Earth from a dimension where Pelini was still head coach and he said we didn't lose to Illinois. He also said before he got to this dimension he stopped off at a world where chickens evolved as the dominant species. They played football still and Nebraska's chicken team did not lose to Illinois.

• Fire 2

Illinois.

Harold the old man that hangs out over by Joe's crab shack told me he traveled to our Earth from a dimension where Pelini was still head coach and he said we didn't lose to Illinois. He also said before he got to this dimension he stopped off at a world where chickens evolved as the dominant species. They played football still and Nebraska's chicken team did not lose to Illinois.

That's as compelling an argument as any, I suppose.

Is this based on recruiting rankings of the incoming class when they sign?

Or is it based upon the number of guys that are actually still on the team or panned out?

I mean, if they're just including committed classes, is that really an accurate way to do things? We have a lot of guys that were Pelini recruits that never made an impact when Pelini was here, and haven't been impact players in Riley's tenure yet. A bunch of them aren't even on the team anymore.

Obviously though, if we're talking about Riley doing less with more in THIS SEASON then it's only fair to judge him on what he actually has? Or is this just another one of those things we come up with to dump on Mike Riley....?

Mauro Bondi

Joe Carter

Max Pirman

Charles Jackson

Aaron Green

David Santos

Zach Sterup

Bubba Starling

Ryan Klachko

Tyler Moore

Aaron Curry

Corey Whitaker

Leroy Alexander

Jared Afalava

Avery Moss

Thomas Brown

Paul Thurston

Drake Martinez

Trevell Dixon

Dwayne Johnson

Boaz Joseph

Matt Finnin

Ernest Suttles

David Knevel

D.J. Singleton

Adam Taylor

Zach Hannon

Johnny Stanton

Gabriel Miller

Kevin Gladney

Greg Hart

Courtney Love

A.J. Natter

Deandre Wills

A.J. Bush

Sedrick King

Jariah Tolbert

Joe Keels

Jaevon Walton

Robert Lockhart

Peyton Newell

Lorenzo Stewart

Monte Harrison

Zack Darlington

Trai Mosley

Tanner Farmer

I mean.....that's a lot of names. Those are all committed players from 2011-2014 that have not really been impactful here at Nebraska. Riley's only been here 10 months.

Get f'ing' real.

being out coached regularly is Riley's fault.... Cant blame everything on Bo because you got what you wanted (Bo canned). I was over Bo's behavior to but you will never convince me that this team is really a 3-5 team.. and those of you living in the 12 points from 8-0, grow up. Reality is that were 3-5 and these coaches suck...

I heard two little kids talking last Sunday and one of them stated "Nebraska sucks". Certainly his point of reference is limited as he has only played one year of midget football. Should I give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you starred in high school, played Div 1 football and now coach somewhere? Or are you like this kid and basing your statement on record only and stating it must be on the coaches?

Please remind me which games we've lost this season due to being the lesser talented team?

Have you not seen our Offensive Line, Linebackers, Running Backs, QB and some corners? Miami and Wisconsin both have more talent.

So if you feel like counting Miami and Wisconsin, there's 2. What's our record again?

Dodge it all you want bud. You asked and I answered. Now you are just taking jabs as usual.

So is TA more talented than Taysom Hill? More talented than Wes Lunt or even? Should Jamal Turner briefly stop on a deep route when a nice pass is coming his way for what looked like a sure TD? Should Reilly drop a pass near the end zone? Tell me what game was it that Gerry dropped an INT that hit him in his hands? Illinois or Wisconsin? Should the kicker miss that many FGs in games that those points may have made a difference? How about the OL that keeps losing the battle at the line of scrimmage in almost every game they've played? Along those lines, why is that our QB is running for his life on many pass attempts each game when there isn't even a defensive blitz? And I haven't even touched on the LBs, the injuries to key players (VV, DPE, MRI).

Keep pecking at the HC and assistants if that's your entire prerogative. When the ball is snapped, each player has a job to do within the play. These guys - and I love them - they are just not talented enough to get it done. They are giving their best and I can see that. But their best is getting beat in every fourth quarter. Maybe that's just a depth issue - or questionable backup talent.

Didn't dodge anything "bud".....I took the answer you provided and asked why we've got the worst record through 8 games in decades. Maybe players aren't producing if you want to go with that. With Pelini, we'd either call it out for throwing players under the bus, or harp on that ol' "execution" thing again.

Here's the problem. Pelini found a way to get guys to play for him well enough to win 70% of his games. So yes, "pecking" at the HC is my prerogative. It's not like his coaching history didn't shout loud and clear to us this was coming.

Losing to Minnesota two years in a row when they ran the exact same play for seemingly the entire game both years.

Giving up 408 yards to Melvin Gordon in less than 45 minutes of game time.

And I would argue that he had more talent on those teams than Riley has this year (can you honestly say that anybody has proven to be a good replacement for Randy Gregory or Ameer Abdullah yet?).

Winning 70% of his games doesn't tell the whole story. Not even close.

Pelini is gone. It's history. Let it go.

We replaced him with a much worse coach. Hip hip hooray.

• Fire 2

Please remind me which games we've lost this season due to being the lesser talented team?

Have you not seen our Offensive Line, Linebackers, Running Backs, QB and some corners? Miami and Wisconsin both have more talent.

So if you feel like counting Miami and Wisconsin, there's 2. What's our record again?

Dodge it all you want bud. You asked and I answered. Now you are just taking jabs as usual.

So is TA more talented than Taysom Hill? More talented than Wes Lunt or even? Should Jamal Turner briefly stop on a deep route when a nice pass is coming his way for what looked like a sure TD? Should Reilly drop a pass near the end zone? Tell me what game was it that Gerry dropped an INT that hit him in his hands? Illinois or Wisconsin? Should the kicker miss that many FGs in games that those points may have made a difference? How about the OL that keeps losing the battle at the line of scrimmage in almost every game they've played? Along those lines, why is that our QB is running for his life on many pass attempts each game when there isn't even a defensive blitz? And I haven't even touched on the LBs, the injuries to key players (VV, DPE, MRI).

Keep pecking at the HC and assistants if that's your entire prerogative. When the ball is snapped, each player has a job to do within the play. These guys - and I love them - they are just not talented enough to get it done. They are giving their best and I can see that. But their best is getting beat in every fourth quarter. Maybe that's just a depth issue - or questionable backup talent.

Didn't dodge anything "bud".....I took the answer you provided and asked why we've got the worst record through 8 games in decades. Maybe players aren't producing if you want to go with that. With Pelini, we'd either call it out for throwing players under the bus, or harp on that ol' "execution" thing again.

Here's the problem. Pelini found a way to get guys to play for him well enough to win 70% of his games. So yes, "pecking" at the HC is my prerogative. It's not like his coaching history didn't shout loud and clear to us this was coming.

Losing to Minnesota two years in a row when they ran the exact same play for seemingly the entire game both years.

And I would argue that he had more talent on those teams than Riley has this year (can you honestly say that anybody has proven to be a good replacement for Randy Gregory or Ameer Abdullah yet?).

Riley is our coach now. It's history. Let it go.

• Fire 1

Riley is our coach now. It's history. Let it go.

No, it's current events. Which was my point.

• Fire 1

Tell that to TheSker, he's the one who brought up Pelini in the first place.

Holy crap, that's the best joke I've heard all day.

There are actually people that are so uneducated and clueless that they actually believe Bo Pelini is a better coach than Mike Riley. That one has me rolling pretty good. Thanks for that.

I wonder what it would be like to be so simple minded that you'd believe that just because one coach won 9 games and one coach has 3 wins, that that automatically means the 9 win coach is the better football coach. Oh, the bliss that comes with absolute ignorance. I wish I could step back in time to a place where I was once immature and didn' t have to use my brain.

• Fire 2

But who was coaching the chicken Nebraska team... That's the question we should all be asking here...

Also how can we get him to human Nebraska...

Illinois.

• Fire 2

Holy crap, that's the best joke I've heard all day.

There are actually people that are so uneducated and clueless that they actually believe Bo Pelini is a better coach than Mike Riley. That one has me rolling pretty good. Thanks for that.

I wonder what it would be like to be so simple minded that you'd believe that just because one coach won 9 games and one coach has 3 wins, that that automatically means the 9 win coach is the better football coach. Oh, the bliss that comes with absolute ignorance. I wish I could step back in time to a place where I was once immature and didn' t have to use my brain.

If we are going to completely throw out wins and losses, which might seem like an important indicator, what is your criteria to determine if one coach is better than the other?