College Football Matrix: Anti-Coach Effect

Mavric

Bo was a decent coach, but couldn't bring in super talent at skill positions. How many teams have a better overall qb than Nebraska. There are alot better QB's in the nation than TA is. Ameer ended up being a diamond in the rough, and will give credit to Bo for him and Gregory, but those are only two players out of many.

Looking at the talent pool right now, we are 1 deep with really good to modest talent level. Beyond that we have really nothing to choose from that wows anyone. This is the state of the program. This is on recruiting over the last 3 years or so. This is a former staffs created issue that now the current staff has to correct and coach players up that might not be coachable at this point. No one will say that Riley couldn't have done better with what he has, but no one knows that Bo would have had any better success with the current roster. You and say "run the ball more", but we have been saying that since Solich was fired. Beck/Watson/ Langsdorf all have that in common. Remember all the games that TMart just dropped back and passed alot, and he was a better runner than TA is. Tmart could go the distance, and TA a good scrambler, can't out run safety's.

Can't forget that injuries have had an impact on the season and the chemistry of this season.

DPE being out for the 1st half of the season, and still not appearing to be full strength, has made some things more difficult.

Not having consistency in the secondary due to injuries also hampers the teams overall sense of chemistry.

I do believe that not having any depth, and talented depth, has lost this team at least 2 games this season.

Take your Big Red blinders off, and watch opposing teams just fly by us on certain players. Thats talent. Sure schemes put you in position to make plays, but talent finishes them off. Confidence also plays a part. This team has never had any confidence since getting drilled by Wiksy last season.

So Einstein should have been a football coach.............? Then lets take the science teacher out of UNL class room and have him coach the team the rest of the season if smarts is all it takes. Bo might have been smart, but what was his major?

I hated Bo. Respect what he did in rebuilding some of what was lost do to Callahan's lack of coaching. Admire him for trying to get things going and back to what was Nebraska Football. The thing is he didn't give a hoot about the history or tradition of this program. He was from "the Ohio State Univerisity" and I think some sense of that came up on occasion. Until this school or program brings back the history and tradition to a 100% level, your never going to get a coach and staff to buy in and sell out for the program. It take some sense of pride and pride in the name on the front of the jersey.

Even though I did not like Bo, he should not have been fired in the manner he was let go. He did win games, and did keep Nebraska semi competitive against most Big 10 schools. He was falling short against the elite schools, and that was talent related and coaching related as well. His teams imploded when pushed, and so did he.

I trully think that in order to get the program back to high standards, this season almost had to happen. You almost need to hit rock bottom in order to get better. This team wasn' winning the Big 10 crown this season regardless of who was coaching it. This team may not have even won the west div this year no matter who was the coach. We haven't won the West since reorganizing the divisions, so why do so many get bent out of shape when we lost 5 games already. Expectations are too high. I think those players that come back next year will have even more fuel to the fire to get better. This is a good thing most of the time.

Im not putting any of what happened to our Oline on saturday on the coaches or scheme, etc. That's all attitude. Or lack there of. I played line. And no one will ever convince me that what happened saturday was scheme or coaching. To repeatedly let a guy go up and down the line and take turns making our front 5 his bitch? Cmon. 3 guys running right by him on a pull play? Hell, one play our pulling guard looked like he quivered to avoid contact with him. This is a vine put on twitter by Welch. I'm not finding it. You can if you wanna see it. it's actually pretty funny. but it's all attitude. to not let sh#t like that happen. Attitude and focus. Damnit, at some point

Coaches

Coach

and

players

play.

• Fire 1

Kansas football, is well, Kansas football. Good example, they fired a coach who lead them to a BCS bowl win, and fired him because he was a prick like Bo.

How much do you think they could redo that now!

Rock bottom is this bunch of players might have to hit rock bottom. I would much rather see us lose games by 30 than repeatedly lose by a couple. Losing games by a few points to me is worse than losing and getting your rears kicked. This way to losing just either fortifys the coaching or the players who aren' t changing there ways. Go out and absolutely get drilled, and then, maybe our staff and players might realize what they are doing isn't working or benefitting the team. Until that happens, the coaches won't change, and the players won't improve. House of mirrors.

Kansas football, is well, Kansas football. Good example, they fired a coach who lead them to a BCS bowl win, and fired him because he was a prick like Bo.

How much do you think they could redo that now!

Rock bottom is this bunch of players might have to hit rock bottom. I would much rather see us lose games by 30 than repeatedly lose by a couple. Losing games by a few points to me is worse than losing and getting your rears kicked. This way to losing just either fortifys the coaching or the players who aren' t changing there ways. Go out and absolutely get drilled, and then, maybe our staff and players might realize what they are doing isn't working or benefitting the team. Until that happens, the coaches won't change, and the players won't improve. House of mirrors.

Probably no more than we will be in a few years.

Though, Mangino was truly a prick (and actually abusive to his players).

If NU starts getting killed, this staff won't last more than another season.

Can't we just agree that Bo needed to go and that Riley sucks this year?

It is okay to say that.

Depends on what poster or mod you're talking with, unfortunately. But yes--Pelini needed to go, and Riley (in particular--his choice in staff) sucks. Riley seems like a nice guy, but some of his choices were poor at best. It's why I'd be for giving Riley another year to turn things around, provided he replaced our coordinators and DB coach, at least, and the effort is made to get someone who has had a track record of success as a coordinator.

And just so folks realize, just because someone is anti-Riley, it doesn't mean they're pro-Pelini. I know some folks can't help but think in black and white terms...but the reality is that this is a very gray area we're dealing with. Many of us felt that there wasn't an effective coaching search, that effort wasn't made by Eichorst and Harvey to bring someone of quality in, and Riley was (at best) a very underwhelming hire for a program that aspires to conference and national championships. But this choice can be salvaged with the right coordinators and position coaches.

But that doesn't mean that we wanted Bo to continue bad-mouthing fans, the program, and to act like a bargain-bin Woody Hayes (with apologies to our tOSU fans that slum it here).

• Fire 4

Im not putting any of what happened to our Oline on saturday on the coaches or scheme, etc. That's all attitude. Or lack there of. I played line. And no one will ever convince me that what happened saturday was scheme or coaching. To repeatedly let a guy go up and down the line and take turns making our front 5 his bitch? Cmon. 3 guys running right by him on a pull play? Hell, one play our pulling guard looked like he quivered to avoid contact with him. This is a vine put on twitter by Welch. I'm not finding it. You can if you wanna see it. it's actually pretty funny. but it's all attitude. to not let sh#t like that happen. Attitude and focus. Damnit, at some point

Coaches

Coach

and

players

play.

Sterup got put on his ass 3-4 times by the DE. Cav said our guys weren't playing with leverage and were getting manhandled and that it should never have happened.

Can't we just agree that Bo needed to go and that Riley sucks this year?

It is okay to say that.

Depends on what poster or mod you're talking with, unfortunately. But yes--Pelini needed to go, and Riley (in particular--his choice in staff) sucks. Riley seems like a nice guy, but some of his choices were poor at best. It's why I'd be for giving Riley another year to turn things around, provided he replaced our coordinators and DB coach, at least, and the effort is made to get someone who has had a track record of success as a coordinator.

And just so folks realize, just because someone is anti-Riley, it doesn't mean they're pro-Pelini. I know some folks can't help but think in black and white terms...but the reality is that this is a very gray area we're dealing with. Many of us felt that there wasn't an effective coaching search, that effort wasn't made by Eichorst and Harvey to bring someone of quality in, and Riley was (at best) a very underwhelming hire for a program that aspires to conference and national championships. But this choice can be salvaged with the right coordinators and position coaches.

But that doesn't mean that we wanted Bo to continue bad-mouthing fans, the program, and to act like a bargain-bin Woody Hayes (with apologies to our tOSU fans that slum it here).

I will agree that Riley could probably change a lot of Husker fans' minds if he found better assistants. We have some decent ones (I'd say that Williams, Bray, and Hughes are doing okay so far) but we have some that are holding us back too (Read and Stewart for sure, jury's still out on Banker and Langsdorf in my mind).

Coaches

Coach

and

players

play.

Read my sig. Let it sink in.

• Fire 2

Coaches

Coach

and

players

play.

This play? https://vine.co/v/eYO9mQi3IvE

Found in the Creativity in the Run Game thread http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/77085-creativity-in-the-run-game/page-3

Coaches

Coach

and

players

play.

Found in the Creativity in the Run Game thread http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/77085-creativity-in-the-run-game/page-3

Got the first down, right?

Coaches

Coach

and

players

play.

Got the first down, right?

Yep. Not pretty but effective.

Also, since we're bringing this up again, look at those plays again and see how many of the "outside" plays are very similar.

Here's a refresher:

if8y5X.gif
aigiZE.gif
U3ihzN.gif
05rmVZ.gif
8VniWq.gif
mDqb35.gif
So out of those those six plays, not only is only one truly an "outside" run, the other five are all slow-developing plays with linemen pulling. So we basically ran two different "outside" plays (slightly varied). Like I said, not much creativity.

Slow developing plays with linemen pulling was a bad idea because we were having success running it straight at them?

Or you wanted us to get "more creative"? Which is it?

We averaged 2 yards a carry. You've got six GIF images staring you in the face showing you our offensive line was out-matched, but you want to run the ball more and maybe even throw in a few more wrinkles?

Holy Moly, man women and child you would put us in the gutter! Thankfully Huskerboard does not call the plays or we'd really be in trouble.

Slow developing plays with linemen pulling was a bad idea because we were having success running it straight at them?

Or you wanted us to get "more creative"? Which is it?

We averaged 2 yards a carry. You've got six GIF images staring you in the face showing you our offensive line was out-matched, but you want to run the ball more and maybe even throw in a few more wrinkles?

Holy Moly, man women and child you would put us in the gutter! Thankfully Huskerboard does not call the plays or we'd really be in trouble.

And we're not in real trouble now? Anyone on Huskerboard could do as well as Riley has this year. The team could've done better with no coach.

• Fire 1