Trev Alberts

C N Red

Just had to start this thread. I get soooo sick of people bashing Trev about getting rid of football and wrestling at UNO.

ADs DO NOT want to drop programs!! It was about economics. The programs were leaking money. He could have kept them and in a couple years he could have folded the entire sports department.

Or, he could get rid of a couple big money losers and focus on one big sport(hockey) that could make money considering its the only one of its kind in the state(i.e. no fanbase competition). He made the right decision and has saved other sports b/c of it.

It was a thankless job and took some balls to do it. Now they are starting to thrive b/c of the hockey program. And who knows, maybe they can bring back wrestling, football, or both someday b/c of his actions. It could be a sportless university if not for what he did.

• Fire 7

I said this in another thread, but what qualifies Trev Alberts to be AD at Nebraska? And "he played at Nebraska" doesn't count.

I'm not saying he is. I just want people to understand what happened. Almost everytime i see something said about him on here a snarky remark about him coming in to get rid of a program happens. People have no clue.

But also, what qualified Eichorst? B/c he did it at Miami and WW?

What qualified TO? He'd never done it before.

Or Bob Devaney?

Or Stevie P? B/c he did it at Pitt?

I'm not so worried about a person qualifying for it as much as fitting the AD position at Nebraska. But i do know i definitely dont want someone who is brought in to just do the Weasel chancellors dirty work. And i say that being a fan who wasnt really sad to see Bo go.

• Fire 3

I said this in another thread, but what qualifies Trev Alberts to be AD at Nebraska? And "he played at Nebraska" doesn't count.

Dame that makes frost to be our head coach, but that reason doesn't count either.

I had an athletic coaching class in college and we discussed UNO cutting fooball. He laughed at the thought of Albers cutting it to help out DONU

Trev had to make hard decisions to cut football and wrestling in order to make a long-term success of the UNO athletic department. I think he has made the right decisions. The hockey team made the Frozen Four last season and is currently ranked #1 in the country. They just opened up an on-campus arena that is perfect for their needs. It would be cool for UNO to earn a trip to the NCAA tournament in basketball. UNO is better off being a small D-1 program than a D-2 program with football and basketball, where the athletic department was losing money.

He cut a wrestling program on the night they won a national championship. And told the team over the phone.

Zero class.

I'm sure Trev wishes it was handled differently, but the information was coming out so he couldn't handle it in person and in a more appropriate time.

Regardless how the situation was handled, he made tough decisions which have turned out to be positive for the university and the athletic department.