Trev Alberts

C N Red

So a handful of people have mentioned his "resume" at UNO? What would standout on his resume at UNO that would make him more qualified than 200 other D1 ADs? Or more qualified than 50 other high level assistant ADs at top notch athletic programs? Has he ever managed a budget comparable to UNL? Has he ever been in a department that has a top flight football team? Has he ever fundraised to a level that would allow the type of capital projects that the athletic department at UNL has?

FWIW, I have no opinion on why he cut football or wrestling at UNO. Sounds like he made a tough decision.

Whatever people think of Byrne, Peterson, or Eichorst, their resumes were 10x better than Trev's when we hired them. They had all been working in athletic administration for years and had big time AD experience (Oregon, Pitt, Miami).

If we were to hire a new AD who must have "Nebraska ties", the Greg Byrne at Arizona should be the target.

So a guy who wouldn't put any money into his flagship sport, a guy that propagated the worst era of football in a few generations, and a guy who many would already like to see canned. Those resumes though.

So a handful of people have mentioned his "resume" at UNO? What would standout on his resume at UNO that would make him more qualified than 200 other D1 ADs? Or more qualified than 50 other high level assistant ADs at top notch athletic programs? Has he ever managed a budget comparable to UNL? Has he ever been in a department that has a top flight football team? Has he ever fundraised to a level that would allow the type of capital projects that the athletic department at UNL has?

FWIW, I have no opinion on why he cut football or wrestling at UNO. Sounds like he made a tough decision.

Whatever people think of Byrne, Peterson, or Eichorst, their resumes were 10x better than Trev's when we hired them. They had all been working in athletic administration for years and had big time AD experience (Oregon, Pitt, Miami).

If we were to hire a new AD who must have "Nebraska ties", the Greg Byrne at Arizona should be the target.

So a guy who wouldn't put any money into his flagship sport, a guy that propagated the worst era of football in a few generations, and a guy who many would already like to see canned. Those resumes though.

Byrne didn't put any money into football? He did Husker Vision. He got the first stadium expansion.

Guys with little to no big time AD experience seem to be working out well across the country. Just look at Pat Haden or Dave Brandon...

As for Pederson, he had "Nebraska ties" and was endorsed by Tom Osborne.

Byrne didn't put any money into football? He did Husker Vision. He got the first stadium expansion.

Guys with little to no big time AD experience seem to be working out well across the country. Just look at Pat Haden or Dave Brandon...

I said flagship sport, not stadium. Ol' dollar Bill was way too focused on the non-revenue sports. Now while that's great and all, he should have invested more in the football program than he did. I don't see how Husker Vision and skyboxes helped the team on the field.

I said flagship sport, not stadium. Ol' dollar Bill was way too focused on the non-revenue sports. Now while that's great and all, he should have invested more in the football program than he did. I don't see how Husker Vision and skyboxes helped the team on the field.

How was he supposed to help the team on the field? Design plays for TO and FS?

We won 3 NCs and played for 2 more when he was at UNL. And we came razor close to playing for 2 others.

We won 3 NCs and played for 2 more when he was at UNL. And we came razor close to playing for 2 others.

Solich commented that Byrne let the football facilities age, while Byrne pumped money into other sports and new sport programs. Byrne always wanted the Sears Cup (or whatever it's called now or then) that went to the best athletic program overall. I am not saying either one is "right", I am just saying that Byrne's focus was on other things besides football.

All that from a coach that was around long before Dollar Bill came here. The rest of the country caught up with our training facilities while he was here and then he packed up and left when the football team really started to struggle. Great guy though. Could really open some checkbooks.

He cut a wrestling program on the night they won a national championship. And told the team over the phone.

Zero class.

Who told you this? The aquarium guy. You believe everything you hear?

Coach Denney came out and said it. The next day after it happened.

Trev can f himself.

You think the wrestling program was leaking money? Do your research. It completely self sustained itself. Cut football by all means but the damn wrestling program was not needed to be cut.

• Fire 1

He cut a wrestling program on the night they won a national championship. And told the team over the phone.

Zero class.

Trev can f himself.

You think the wrestling program was leaking money? Do your research. It completely self sustained itself. Cut football by all means but the damn wrestling program was not needed to be cut.

Yeah, what he said.

Zero class.

Trev can f himself.

Yeah, what he said.

I think the one issue was that the conference that UNO was going into didn't have many schools with wrestling programs. I think a lot of schools with wrestling programs have faced that issue in recent years.

Cater to bball. All it comes down to.

And when it comes down to a small D-1 athletic department, basketball is going to be the main revenue source. UNO just happens to also have hockey which brings in strong revenue for the athletic department. It was a business decision for the long-term viability of the school and athletic department, and sometimes people have feelings get hurt in business decisions.

And when it comes down to a small D-1 athletic department, basketball is going to be the main revenue source. UNO just happens to also have hockey which brings in strong revenue for the athletic department. It was a business decision for the long-term viability of the school and athletic department, and sometimes people have feelings get hurt in business decisions.

No. Not when it's a self sustained program as described by coach Denney himself.

• Fire 1

No. Not when it's a self sustained program as described by coach Denney himself.

But, would UNO wrestling be the same at the D-1 level? The competition that they would have faced would have been a lot tougher. They weren't going to be instantly a D-1 power that they were in D-2. I agree that it's possible that Denney could recruit and might have "built" a D-1 program. But, competing against Iowa, Iowa State, Oklahoma State and others is different than competing against D-2 programs.

Also, would the program still be "self-sustained" at the D-1 level? Who would the wrestling program be going up against at the D-1 level without conference opponents? There would definitely have been higher travel and other expenses at the D-1 level. I understand that the Big 12 has added affiliate members for wrestling in the past year or two, but that option wasn't available for UNO when the decision to cut wrestling was made.

I am sure you know more about the wrestling program at UNO than I do. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert. But, I do understand the simple economics that would be involved in sustaining a minor sport like wrestling.

But, would UNO wrestling be the same at the D-1 level? The competition that they would have faced would have been a lot tougher. They weren't going to be instantly a D-1 power that they were in D-2. I agree that it's possible that Denney could recruit and might have "built" a D-1 program. But, competing against Iowa, Iowa State, Oklahoma State and others is different than competing against D-2 programs.

Also, would the program still be "self-sustained" at the D-1 level? Who would the wrestling program be going up against at the D-1 level without conference opponents? There would definitely have been higher travel and other expenses at the D-1 level. I understand that the Big 12 has added affiliate members for wrestling in the past year or two, but that option wasn't available for UNO when the decision to cut wrestling was made.

I am sure you know more about the wrestling program at UNO than I do. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert. But, I do understand the simple economics that would be involved in sustaining a minor sport like wrestling.

UNO was a power in D2 when it came to wrestling. The transition to D1 might have affected them for a couple years but eventually, they would have been very competitive. There are a lot of smaller D1 schools that have good wrestling programs.