Trev Alberts

C N Red

Mizzou is dual affiliated becuz the SEC doesn't have wrestling.

UNO would have built a great D1 program, and actually they would probably be better than NU if it weren't for the big 10.

Honestly, Coach Denney might be the best coach out there. It would be awesome to see him coach at Div1. He turned Marysville into a power in 3 years. They didn't even have a program before he got there!

• Fire 1

UNO would have built a great D1 program, and actually they would probably be better than NU if it weren't for the big 10.

Honestly, Coach Denney might be the best coach out there. It would be awesome to see him coach at Div1. He turned Marysville into a power in 3 years. They didn't even have a program before he got there!

So what you are saying is that a D1 program would be very wise to hire him because he has an amazing track record not only with his wrestlers but with winning, big. Hmmmm...interesting idea...

By the way, I have been to a few Denney clinics (even won a T-shirt) when I was coaching wrestling years ago.

He might be good but there is a certain coach over in Iowa that I would argue is the best.

I'm not going to act like I know Coach Denney and his accomplishments. But, Marysville is still a D-2 school.

My biggest point about UNO going D-1 is that it would have been very difficult to keep wrestling on a logistical basis. The Summit League doesn't have wrestling, and only NDSU and SDSU have wrestling programs. Yes, NDSU and SDSU are affiliate members in the Big 12 wrestling conference, but that wasn't available when Alberts made the decision to move UNO to D-1.

So what you are saying is that a D1 program would be very wise to hire him because he has an amazing track record not only with his wrestlers but with winning, big. Hmmmm...interesting idea...

By the way, I have been to a few Denney clinics (even won a T-shirt) when I was coaching wrestling years ago.

Growing up in Omaha and wrestling at Coach Denney's HS alma mater, I was always watching UNO wrestling. He was there for 30+ years, and only once did his team rank outside of the Top 10 nationally. It was a true crime to watch that program end.

Growing up in Omaha and wrestling at Coach Denney's HS alma mater, I was always watching UNO wrestling. He was there for 30+ years, and only once did his team rank outside of the Top 10 nationally. It was a true crime to watch that program end.

No shiz.

Agree!

Some of the misinformation or plain lack of knowledge is disturbing.

1. It's public knowledge Alberts let them know over the phone they were cut. It was in the newspaper and reported as fact. Locked them out of the building and couldn't even get in to get their stuff, after just winning a National Title. - That alone is true lack of class

2. Why are so many of you still using the financial excuse? Wrestling was self sustained and in fact, ahead on money! And moving to D1 would not have changed that at all. They would still host the same tournaments and same clinics that brought in the money. Little known fact they hosted many huge youth tournaments that brought in big bucks, so money is a piss poor, made up excuse. They made their own money and a surplus of it.

3. They would have competed just fine at D1 level. They already competed in many D1 tournaments as it was and many of their wrestlers beat highly ranked D1 guys on a regular basis. UNO got a lot of guys over the years that were sought after D1 recruits.

All in all, football got cut so it wouldn't compete with big brother UNL. Wrestling got cut as an excuse to start hockey. Title IX, money, or any other excuse is just that, an excuse. As far as UNO hockey being the only hockey in the state, that's bs too. They have it in Kearney. Although it's not college. Trev has no character and certainly no class. And quite honestly, nobody outside of Omaha cares about UNO hockey to my knowledge. In fact, I had no idea it almost got cut until a booster came in. Maybe it's not the gravy train it was supposed to be? That would have been funny. I'll assure you there were many outside Omaha that followed and loved UNO wrestling and football.

And if the move was for UNO basketball to go D1, why? They're not good, and heck, UNL is not good at basketball either! Wanna save some money? Cut those programs!

• Fire 2

1. It's public knowledge Alberts let them know over the phone they were cut. It was in the newspaper and reported as fact. Locked them out of the building and couldn't even get in to get their stuff, after just winning a National Title. - That alone is true lack of class

2. Why are so many of you still using the financial excuse? Wrestling was self sustained and in fact, ahead on money! And moving to D1 would not have changed that at all. They would still host the same tournaments and same clinics that brought in the money. Little known fact they hosted many huge youth tournaments that brought in big bucks, so money is a piss poor, made up excuse. They made their own money and a surplus of it.

3. They would have competed just fine at D1 level. They already competed in many D1 tournaments as it was and many of their wrestlers beat highly ranked D1 guys on a regular basis. UNO got a lot of guys over the years that were sought after D1 recruits.

All in all, football got cut so it wouldn't compete with big brother UNL. Wrestling got cut as an excuse to start hockey. Title IX, money, or any other excuse is just that, an excuse. As far as UNO hockey being the only hockey in the state, that's bs too. They have it in Kearney. Although it's not college. Trev has no character and certainly no class. And quite honestly, nobody outside of Omaha cares about UNO hockey to my knowledge. In fact, I had no idea it almost got cut until a booster came in. Maybe it's not the gravy train it was supposed to be? That would have been funny. I'll assure you there were many outside Omaha that followed and loved UNO wrestling and football.

And if the move was for UNO basketball to go D1, why? They're not good, and heck, UNL is not good at basketball either! Wanna save some money? Cut those programs!

UNO had hockey well before the move to D-1 and the cutting of wrestling. Also, you can't compare the hockey that is played in Kearney, Lincoln, and the Omaha Lancers to UNO hockey. The Lancers, Stars, and Tri-City Storm is Junior Hockey played by 17-18 year old high school kids. UNO is at the top of college hockey and has gotten great crowds in Omaha for years.

UNO probably doesn't care about people outside of Omaha. They are trying to position itself at Omaha's "state school" and that's fine. UNL will always be #1 for most Nebraskans, but getting a decent crop of students from the Omaha metro area and being a school of 15K students is great for UNO.

Finally, I never wrestled and I never played hockey. But, if I had my choice of going to a college hockey game or a college wrestling meet on a Friday night, I would choose hockey. I think the average person would agree with me.

UNO had hockey well before the move to D-1 and the cutting of wrestling. Also, you can't compare the hockey that is played in Kearney, Lincoln, and the Omaha Lancers to UNO hockey. The Lancers, Stars, and Tri-City Storm is Junior Hockey played by 17-18 year old high school kids. UNO is at the top of college hockey and has gotten great crowds in Omaha for years.

UNO probably doesn't care about people outside of Omaha. They are trying to position itself at Omaha's "state school" and that's fine. UNL will always be #1 for most Nebraskans, but getting a decent crop of students from the Omaha metro area and being a school of 15K students is great for UNO.

Finally, I never wrestled and I never played hockey. But, if I had my choice of going to a college hockey game or a college wrestling meet on a Friday night, I would choose hockey. I think the average person would agree with me.

True, I shouldn't have said start hockey but should have said build hockey. What's the difference though of 17-18 year old kids and college hockey? Not much! My point is, there really was no good reason to cut a self sustaining National Champion program!

• Fire 1

True, I shouldn't have said start hockey but should have said build hockey. What's the difference though of 17-18 year old kids and college hockey? Not much! My point is, there really was no good reason to cut a self sustaining National Champion program!
There is a huge difference between the USHL Junior Hockey and top level D-1 hockey.

Also, there is a huge unknown if UNO wrestling would have been at be championship level at D-1. The move to D-1 was to grow the school.

Finally, how many people would actually attend the UNO wrestling meets. Yes, they were able to pay for the expenses with donations and other funds, but wrestling wasn't carrying other sports programs like UNO hockey does.

• Fire 1

Dunno who paid him. Have to assume the U. What I do know is the program was in the green, by a long ways. As far as hockey carrying UNO money wise, not sure how that can be true if it was almost cut before outside fundraising kicked in. Must not have been carrying very well if that's the case. I think it's a safe bet wrestling would have succeeded at D1 if you simply take past athletes individual results against D1 opponents. They held up just fine.