McKewon: Why Huskers Can't or Won't Run the Ball

The Michigan State game proves that when you hand off the ball 7 yards back and dance around like you're playing flag football it's not nearly as effective as hitting the hole fast and hard like they do in tackle football. Some might see this statement as hyperbole but I'm just putting it out there as a general guideline.....there are in fact times when it's better to wait and see what opens up; there are several types of draw plays that can be effective against an aggressive pass rush and an occasional end-around can be a pleasant change of pace as well.

Jay Foreman:

What was different for Nebraska against Michigan State?

Offensively, once they got going, that was the first game they tried to run the ball, and they could even do better. That’s the first game where they ran the ball even if they didn’t get that 15 or 20 yard run right away. They ran the ball better than I thought they would. I thought Michigan State would be better against the run coming off a bye, but when you think about it, that’s the best time to play a team sometimes — off the bye week.

Talk more about the running game. What was working?

I think it was a combination of things. They stuck with it. I think Cethan Carter really had a good game on the edge against some good defensive ends. I think they stuck with it and guys came out early and won some one-on-one battles.

First and goal, and we pass twice. Once for a loss on an unblocked "bubble screen" and then the pick. Boos were sounding around Memorial Stadium, not at TA for the pick, but for calling pass plays inside the ten yard line.

We get the ball first and goal in the second half and run three times (although I'm not sure why we ran an injured Newby out of the spread with no fullback) and score on TA's QB sweep.

So we CAN run it after all. I wondered if the boo birds influenced the play calls in the second half, or just the pick. Either way, I hope it is a lesson learned by the staff.

• Fire 1

is it just me or am I the only one that hates the jet sweep they run? It seems very predictable (still seeing the last offensive series with byu flashing in my eyes). Cross seemed to really play well once he got touches, he's a load and have felt we haven't utilized him enough this year.

• Fire 1

is it just me or am I the only one that hates the jet sweep they run? It seems very predictable (still seeing the last offensive series with byu flashing in my eyes). Cross seemed to really play well once he got touches, he's a load and have felt we haven't utilized him enough this year.

I don't hate it. But it's not the magic bullet it was made out to be after Riley was hired.

Moore and Reilly have been very successful running it this year. Turner and DPE not so much. I thought after Reilly and Moore had some early success that teams adjusted and were maybe keying on DPE but then it worked well again against MSU.

I don't hate it. But it's not the magic bullet it was made out to be after Riley was hired.

Moore and Reilly have been very successful running it this year. Turner and DPE not so much. I thought after Reilly and Moore had some early success that teams adjusted and were maybe keying on DPE but then it worked well again against MSU.

I think a 100% DPE was likely the coach's ideal man for running the jet sweep this season given his athleticism and speed. I don't hate the jet sweep either, but, I do think it takes a certain type of player to be able to run it well and the guy they would've liked to see run it missed most games this season.

So we CAN run it after all. I wondered if the boo birds influenced the play calls in the second half, or just the pick. Either way, I hope it is a lesson learned by the staff.

The concern for me has always been how the team executes. From week-to-week, I've personally never had the feeling that our coaches didn't try to run the football. But, I know in some of those games where we passed near 50 times, part of that was because the team just wasn't executing. A missed block there, a missed read over here, and all of a sudden I think the coaches start to feel like passing is their only option to succeed.

We have to give a lot of credit to the guys against MSU because we didn't do anything revolutionary. We made some small shifts on the line and featured Cross, but a lot of what we were running wasn't anything new or drawn up in the dirt seconds before. It was just players finding their man and hitting their blocks, elements that haven't been consistent week to week. And particularly with Cross, he was making plays I wasn't used to seeing him make, plays where in the past he would've been hit for a minimal gain he turned into big gains.

The concern for me has always been how the team executes. From week-to-week, I've personally never had the feeling that our coaches didn't try to run the football. But, I know in some of those games where we passed near 50 times, part of that was because the team just wasn't executing. A missed block there, a missed read over here, and all of a sudden I think the coaches start to feel like passing is their only option to succeed.

We have to give a lot of credit to the guys against MSU because we didn't do anything revolutionary. We made some small shifts on the line and featured Cross, but a lot of what we were running wasn't anything new or drawn up in the dirt seconds before. It was just players finding their man and hitting their blocks, elements that haven't been consistent week to week. And particularly with Cross, he was making plays I wasn't used to seeing him make, plays where in the past he would've been hit for a minimal gain he turned into big gains.

The type of running plays called was different, there was a lot more power, Iso, and even a couple of tosses vs. shotgun dives and shotgun inside outside zone. Part of it is running out of the shotgun. I think TA likes being in shotgun more than under center, most QB do prefer it that way. But downhill running, which I think NU is pretty good at, is run from under center. Maybe they have figured that out.

• Fire 1

The type of running plays called was different, there was a lot more power, Iso, and even a couple of tosses vs. shotgun dives and shotgun inside outside zone. Part of it is running out of the shotgun. I think TA likes being in shotgun more than under center, most QB do prefer it that way. But downhill running, which I think NU is pretty good at, is run from under center. Maybe they have figured that out.

Well, I hope they have it figured out. Being able to run against MSU any week is something for an offense to tip their cap on. That's a talented squad.

In terms of the type of plays called, my point was just that I didn't see a lot of plays they haven't run before. They may have called more of certain type, but there was one play in particular that Cross had a 10+ yard gain on that I know we ran earlier in the year and didn't get but a yard on.

This is exactly the point. In today's game, you need to be able to pass. But you can pick your spots a lot better than we have most of the year. Strong running game with some play-action passes mixed in works great. Just like we did against Minnesota and Michigan State.

https://twitter.com/MatthewSvoboda/status/663530637731741696

I really thought after Minnesota these coaches finally figured out what worked. Then proceeded to scrap that and throw it 50 times the next couple games, making all of us lose our minds. Really hope they FINALLY realized what works after this game and use that gameplan the next couple weeks. Rutgers gives up a little over 150 rushing yards a game, and the 11th most rushing touchdowns at 24. No reason we shouldn't be able to run on them.

It's supposed to be windy in Piscataway, and Rutgers is suspect against the run........

.......looks like a "chuck it down the field 50 times" kind of day for Langsahan.

This^ All run plays are not created equal. Big difference running out of a run formation than running out of passing formation.

Well, I hope they have it figured out. Being able to run against MSU any week is something for an offense to tip their cap on. That's a talented squad.

In terms of the type of plays called, my point was just that I didn't see a lot of plays they haven't run before. They may have called more of certain type, but there was one play in particular that Cross had a 10+ yard gain on that I know we ran earlier in the year and didn't get but a yard on.

Yes he had a couple of nice runs like that. Those were power plays. It is essentially an off tackle iso play. Usually it is down blocking by the O-line and TE and then a kick out on the EMLOS by the FB. I am not exactly sure how they blocked it, but that is the essence of the play. Yes they have run that several times with great effect, but usually no more than a couple times a game.

First and goal, and we pass twice. Once for a loss on an unblocked "bubble screen" and then the pick. Boos were sounding around Memorial Stadium, not at TA for the pick, but for calling pass plays inside the ten yard line.

We get the ball first and goal in the second half and run three times (although I'm not sure why we ran an injured Newby out of the spread with no fullback) and score on TA's QB sweep.

To be fair to Langsdorf, that first down play was a packaged play. Tommy didn't like the numbers and saw a blitzing LB and threw the bubble (8-man box with blitzing LB). Honestly, just a great play by the DB on that, if he misses that tackle, TD. All WR's were in man coverage with zero help.

Here's the play, watch RG move to second level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfaFwQ_eyTI?t=1h31m20s

• Fire 1