Mike Riley is done.

I say this is NOT true whatsoever. Just a line of BS. don't believe it at all. Riley will be given a reasonable time. That is the RIGHT thing to do and if anything I know about Nebraska is we do the right thing when given the chance.

what has this university done that is right regarding football hirings in the past 10 or so years?
  • Fire 2

Sorry, but I don't buy it. No way is Eichorst going to admit he made the wrong hire. Instead, he's going to tell Riley that staff changes must be made in the offseason. Riley will comply. I'm sure they'll also drop Patrick O' Brien's name and act as if he's going to be the savior in their offensive scheme. Next year we'll win more than this year (how could we not?) and Riley will be given another season. That way Eichorst can fall back on the "we've shown progress" excuse and in essence, save his own ass.

• Fire 1

I have nothing against Riley. I really wanted it to work here, I got sold on his wisdom and experience would help us use what we already have yet we could benefit from some of his ideas, QB position should improve, our schedule was favorable so we should do well, if we have growing pains we still had 7-8 wins easy. I am shocked to see how fast this thing fell apart. Someone said it in another thread that next year is a rebuilding year anyway. Why not do it with a coach and staff that are committed to the NU brand of football starting with power run and stellar defense. The scary thing with Riley is we have to wait to next year to even see if his philosophy can even pay any small dividends. Essentially it would all be on POB being the starter and lighting it up to erase the nightmare of this season and give fans some hope. This is A LOT to ask and expect of a true freshman...and I think the realization is that this is unlikely and we can't put the future in this position. Other threads have said at least Cally had a strong recruiting class to make us be patient and see if his brand could work. We don't have that with Riley...we currently sit at #40 in recruiting...who thinks this is a recipe for success?

Ironically, I now think the timing is right for Scott Frost to enter. Oregon is not playing for the playoff or Pac 12 championship this year. Frost would be available. Expectations cannot be lower for next year so bringing back the hero to take us out of rock bottom would unite fans, I think he'd play the brand of football we long for, and I think he'd be good long term and may surprise in the short term. Yes, there are some other good coaches out there but everything to me points to Frost.

I find it hilarious that people bitch about how much we don't run the ball, then they want to hire an inexperienced ex QB that is the Co-OC of a spread offense to run the program. That makes perfect sense.

I have nothing against Riley. I really wanted it to work here, I got sold on his wisdom and experience would help us use what we already have yet we could benefit from some of his ideas, QB position should improve, our schedule was favorable so we should do well, if we have growing pains we still had 7-8 wins easy. I am shocked to see how fast this thing fell apart. Someone said it in another thread that next year is a rebuilding year anyway. Why not do it with a coach and staff that are committed to the NU brand of football starting with power run and stellar defense. The scary thing with Riley is we have to wait to next year to even see if his philosophy can even pay any small dividends. Essentially it would all be on POB being the starter and lighting it up to erase the nightmare of this season and give fans some hope. This is A LOT to ask and expect of a true freshman...and I think the realization is that this is unlikely and we can't put the future in this position. Other threads have said at least Cally had a strong recruiting class to make us be patient and see if his brand could work. We don't have that with Riley...we currently sit at #40 in recruiting...who thinks this is a recipe for success?

Ironically, I now think the timing is right for Scott Frost to enter. Oregon is not playing for the playoff or Pac 12 championship this year. Frost would be available. Expectations cannot be lower for next year so bringing back the hero to take us out of rock bottom would unite fans, I think he'd play the brand of football we long for, and I think he'd be good long term and may surprise in the short term. Yes, there are some other good coaches out there but everything to me points to Frost.

I find it hilarious that people bitch about how much we don't run the ball, then they want to hire an inexperienced ex QB that is the Co-OC of a spread offense to run the program. That makes perfect sense.

Who else would come to this dumpster fire where they fire 9 win coaches?

Sorry, but I don't buy it. No way is Eichorst going to admit he made the wrong hire. Instead, he's going to tell Riley that staff changes must be made in the offseason. Riley will comply. I'm sure they'll also drop Patrick O' Brien's name and act as if he's going to be the savior in their offensive scheme. Next year we'll win more than this year (how could we not?) and Riley will be given another season. That way Eichorst can fall back on the "we've shown progress" excuse and in essence, save his own ass.

There is NO WAY Riley will change coordinators.

They are not only buddy hires, they are longtime friends.

Unfortunately, the ONE thing Riley's choices for coordinators tells us is that he himself is most comfortable in a passing office and a passive defense.

Who else would come to this dumpster fire where they fire 9 win coaches?

That is a good question, but we need to stop settling for coaches. It is going to take time and patience to fix this program both in talent and culturally. A guy like Richt sounds like the perfect hire, but as it has been stated numerous times he can't win the big one. Which sounds a lot like TO pre 1994. But he runs a clean program despite being in the SEC and recruits top talent. Do we go for a guy like that who can fix our two biggest problems and "hope" he breaks through his glass ceiling?

It isn't a question that has an easy answer. The only thing I don't want is to have someone "learn on the job" at NU. We are better than that, I don't have a problem with getting an up and coming young HC, but the key is that they have already had success at being a HC and they have some good recruiting ties. No more assistants that need to learn their craft on the fly like Frank and Bo did. I also don't want the experienced .500 HC's that we had in Bill and MR. There has to be a middle ground somewhere in there.

And last but not least, don't get caught up in getting someone with "Nebraska ties" because that pipeline dried up with Tom retired. A few guys have had success at the MAC level which is great for them, but that isn't a program like Nebraska. There is nothing wrong with an "outsider," but we need to find the right one.

Personally I think that if UGA fires Richt, that is the safest choice, but on the other hand I am also not saying that is the right choice either.

Agree. Scott Frost may someday be a great head coach (or not) but we surely don't want to gamble again on this. I don't see a need to overreact and knee jerk fire this staff. The pain is going to endured no matter what. The program has had deep problems for 15 years now. Tom Osborne was AD for a good part of the time and things were not fixed. I don't see why anyone realistically things another HC without any experience and therefore absolutely no track record can fix what men with many, many years have not done. Patience people! Patience. Panic attacks don't help anything.

And their offense has been top 10 in rushing every year since 2008 or 2009.

So you, sir, are not up on your info. He's not a Co OC either. He is the OC

I just want some feedback on this. Someone I know, who has ties to teams of the late 90's & 00's, said a lot of ex players are pulling for Solich to come back. Anyone think this has more than a snowball's chance in.......? I seriously doubt it, but I'm not in the know as much as some on here.

No. Frank is way too old, and his recruiting was... not good.