Mike Riley is done.

Problem with Frost is that absolutely no one outside of Nebraska is talking about him for a head coaching vacancy... and the only reason Nebraska is, is because he played for the Huskers. That's a poor reason to hire someone.

I mean if everyone above Frost says no, then go after him with your gamble... But there are so many more choices that are more experienced and are a great fit for Nebraska. Tom Herman is the absolute perfect fit for the Huskers, and honestly he should have been hired last year.

Completely incorrect. In the first article you've even got Kirk Herbstreit saying that Frost is ready. Frost is a hot coaching name right now, and his offense is still a beast in Oregon without Mariota.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/12/scott_frost_to_leave_oregon_it.html

http://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-terrapins-football/2015/11/1/9650368/Scott-frost-maryland-coaching-search-candidates

http://www.chicagonow.com/daily-chicago-sports-tab/2015/08/scott-frost-the-man-for-champaign/

With the way the media raved about the Mike Riley hire, I would take any opinion from them with a boulder of salt. There is no way he's going to either Illinois or Maryland.

That said... Oregon's offense has struggled this year against teams that matter. See Utah. Full judgement will be held out until they play Stanford though.

They rotated their 2nd and 3rd team QB's that game. Still didn't have their AA talent receiver in Carrington. Defense sucks regardless. Also, there has been speculation from Oregon that they though that Utah was stealing signals....

Which is also why Oregon used those big white sheets on the sideline Thursday vs ASU.

They are definitely not the same offense without Mariota but the struggles they endured offensively was when VA was out, or when VA had his broken index finger on his throwing hand.

Oregon used the sheets because Utah told them they thought Arizona State was stealing signals, not because Utah was.

Ya I want Herman, that's it.

I would be ok with Frost. That's why we need to be in contact with coaches to gauge interest before doing anything. So I hope the rumor is true that we're being proactive in reaching out to coaches.

Damn, nothing could happen in recruiting or transfers that would get me excited for next year.

Herman eliminates all of that right away, and instantly recruits start to take notice and wants to play for a guy who won a national championship and currently has his team undefeated.

Problem with Frost is that absolutely no one outside of Nebraska is talking about him for a head coaching vacancy... and the only reason Nebraska is, is because he played for the Huskers. That's a poor reason to hire someone.

I mean if everyone above Frost says no, then go after him with your gamble... But there are so many more choices that are more experienced and are a great fit for Nebraska. Tom Herman is the absolute perfect fit for the Huskers, and honestly he should have been hired last year.

Completely incorrect. In the first article you've even got Kirk Herbstreit saying that Frost is ready. Frost is a hot coaching name right now, and his offense is still a beast in Oregon without Mariota.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/12/scott_frost_to_leave_oregon_it.html

http://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-terrapins-football/2015/11/1/9650368/Scott-frost-maryland-coaching-search-candidates

http://www.chicagonow.com/daily-chicago-sports-tab/2015/08/scott-frost-the-man-for-champaign/

With the way the media raved about the Mike Riley hire, I would take any opinion from them with a boulder of salt. There is no way he's going to either Illinois or Maryland.

That said... Oregon's offense has struggled this year against teams that matter. See Utah. Full judgement will be held out until they play Stanford though.

They rotated their 2nd and 3rd team QB's that game. Still didn't have their AA talent receiver in Carrington. Defense sucks regardless. Also, there has been speculation from Oregon that they though that Utah was stealing signals....

Which is also why Oregon used those big white sheets on the sideline Thursday vs ASU.

They are definitely not the same offense without Mariota but the struggles they endured offensively was when VA was out, or when VA had his broken index finger on his throwing hand.

Oregon used the sheets because Utah told them they thought Arizona State was stealing signals, not because Utah was.

Correct. However, I want Frost back here somehow. In my dreams it would be Herman with Frost as coordinator.

Correct. However, I want Frost back here somehow. In my dreams it would be Herman with Frost as coordinator.

That would be awesome.

That would be awesome.

Agree, this would be great. I still think the perfect storm has come for Frost.

As for Richt...LOL. He is always ranked high at outset of the season and never wins squat. Check this link out and see who is #1 and #2. http://coacheshotseat.com/

• Fire 1

I would be ok with Frost. That's why we need to be in contact with coaches to gauge interest before doing anything. So I hope the rumor is true that we're being proactive in reaching out to coaches.

Damn, nothing could happen in recruiting or transfers that would get me excited for next year.

Herman eliminates all of that right away, and instantly recruits start to take notice and wants to play for a guy who won a national championship and currently has his team undefeated.

I think you're right. Herman would be a slam dunk.

What sucks is we are now a stepping stone for any of the perceived top 10 coaching gigs.

Yeah Herman sounds pretty good. He believes in the running game, B1G experience, recruiting ties to B1G areas and TX.

I'd even go for Whittingham or Calhoun after that. Sorry GOAT, I would not care to see Richt. He just gives me the impression that complacency is settling in on him. We've got a nasty dose of that now with MR & Co.

Agree. Scott Frost may someday be a great head coach (or not) but we surely don't want to gamble again on this. I don't see a need to overreact and knee jerk fire this staff. The pain is going to endured no matter what. The program has had deep problems for 15 years now. Tom Osborne was AD for a good part of the time and things were not fixed. I don't see why anyone realistically things another HC without any experience and therefore absolutely no track record can fix what men with many, many years have not done. Patience people! Patience. Panic attacks don't help anything.

Arguments like this drive me crazy. When people say we can't hire Scott Frost or another coordinator to be our head coach because we don't want them to learn on the job or we surely don't want to gamble, I have two things to say to this nonsense:

• Tom Osborne was a coordinator who became head coach...who learned on the job...I think that hire turned out ok?
  • MOST IMPORTANTLY---Every hire is a gamble!
  • Nick Saban was a "gamble" when he was hired for the Miami Dolphins job. It didn't work out in Miami, but the "gamble" sure paid off for Alabama.
  • Chip Kelly was a "gamble" when he moved from being an Oregon offensive coordinator to Head Coach. Turned out pretty good for Oregon. He was a "gamble" for the Philadelphia Eagles too...now how is that looking?

My point is again: EVERY HIRE IS A GAMBLE!

Scott Frost could very well turn out to be the exact coach we need at Nebraska at the right time. He also might not be able to turn it around. But we'll never know unless we take that "gamble."

...nothing in life is a sure thing.

This

Say what you want about Mark Richt, but he is ranked 5th on the list of active coaches (after Spurrier, Saban, Stoops, & Miles) in wins vs. ranked opponents, and holds multiple victories over three of those guys. Born and raised in Nebraska... elite recruiter... multiple BCS wins... multiple conference titles... yet he "never wins squat." :rolleyes:

Every hire is a gamble, sure. SE said himself he has seen programs do it the wrong way by spending a lot of money but we wanted to do it right (whatever that means.) Nebraska hasn't gone out and thrown money on the table like an Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Florida, Alabama, LSU, etc. So I've narrowed it down to three categories: The Unknown, The-Tried-And-True, and The Splash.

The Unknown: Scott Frost, Turner Gill, any coordinator in CFB

The Tried-And-True: Tom Herman, Justin Fuente, Kyle Whittingham, David Shaw, Bret Bielema, Mark Richt, Troy Calhoun, Paul Johnson, Pat Narduzzi

The Splash: Chip Kelly, Jim Tressel

Out of all those 3 categories, the likely candidates to pursue would be those that fall in the Tried-And-True category. These type of coaches outnumber the unknowns and splash hires. These are the type of head coaches that have turned a program around or simply have done things our last 2 head coaches haven't.

Say what you want about Mark Richt, but he is ranked 5th on the list of active coaches (after Spurrier, Saban, Stoops, & Miles) in wins vs. ranked opponents, and holds multiple victories over three of those guys. Born and raised in Nebraska... multiple BCS wins... multiple conference titles... yet he "never wins squat."

We live in a "what have you done lately for me?," world. Do you think Nebraska is going to go out and hire a 55 year old coach who is on his way out? We already did that with Mike Riley. Even if Mark Richt somehow maintains to keep his job at UGA, he and his family have no interest in leaving Athens. Any speculation that ties him to a prospective opening at Nebraska is simply because he was born here. There is nothing to suggest that he would consider leaving his post for the Nebraska job. This would be a lateral move for he and his family. Even though I included his name in my post above its just an example. IMO, we have a much better chance going after a head coach that is on the rise.

I think you're right. Herman would be a slam dunk.

What sucks is we are now a stepping stone for any of the perceived top 10 coaching gigs.

I view this job similar as Stanford. Shaw isn't leaving Stanford.

If Herman builds this thing, he isn't going to leave because of the contracts we're capable of paying. He won't have incentive to leave. If Herman comes here he makes NU a contender in the West every year, but also making us competitive against the East champ.

Before this year Tom Herman had never been a Head Coach at any program. In one year, his Houston team is 7-0. Why not take the same risk with Frost. He has just as much coaching experience as Tom Herman minus the one year of HC experience.

I think some of you guys would be surprised just how much football knowledge Frost has. Heck, why wouldn't he? He grew up with a mom and dad who were coaches.

• Fire 2