Mike Riley is done.

Received a text earlier from the anonymous source:

Fan infuriation has the suits on alert, especially with pressure/angst via fans, social media, national TV. Board very unhappy after much deliberation, concerns about losing donors and support from important people, risk of losing consecutive sellout streak. It's looking more and more like MR era will only survive one season at UNL. Somebody with ties to DONU has been contacted to see if interest is reciprocated.

• Fire 1

Received a text earlier from the anonymous source:
Fan infuriation has the suits on alert, especially with pressure/angst via fans, social media, national TV. Board very unhappy after much deliberation, concerns about losing donors and support from important people, risk of losing consecutive sellout streak. It's looking more and more like MR era will only survive one season at UNL. Somebody with ties to DONU has been contacted to see if interest is reciprocated.

DKJhx9l.gif

Frost would be a great hire. There's no good argument why he wouldn't. Every coaching hire is a gamble, Frost has an impeccable resume and wealth of experience, and there is no evidence that previous head coaching experience leads to future head coaching success.

He's been under the tutelage of many great minds which is a huge attraction but people knock him for experience well, I believe every coach has to cut their teeth at some point. He's definitely not what Pelini was when LSU won the National Title. Had Oregon beat Ohio State, Frost would probably be HC right now.

USC

Minnesota

Va Tech

South Carolina

Miami

UCF

Illinois

Maryland

Hawaii

N Texas

Where would Nebraska rank after we have fired 9 win coaches 2x and a coach after 1 year. 5-7th, no thanks. Gotta give MR more time rather than taking sloppy 5ths.

1. USC

2a. Miami

2b. South Carolina

3. Nebraska

4-11. The rest

Might be adding Texas onto that list. I would almost put VT ahead of us just for the fact that their program has been solid and basically unchanged for a long time and it might be appealing to a coach. I do think that Bud Foster will take over for Beamer though.

Say what you want about Mark Richt, but he is ranked 5th on the list of active coaches (after Spurrier, Saban, Stoops, & Miles) in wins vs. ranked opponents, and holds multiple victories over three of those guys. Born and raised in Nebraska... elite recruiter... multiple BCS wins... multiple conference titles... yet he "never wins squat." :rolleyes:

We are not hiring Richt :facepalm:

Mark Richt's total-debacle losses really are becoming annual things

Once again, Mark Richt’s Georgia Bulldogs stumble on big stage

Yet another big loss for Mark Richt

Richt and Georgia fall off stage again when it matters most

and ouch...

Big football games at Georgia have produced living, breathing sideshows. There's the game itself and the dread over how its coach is going to lose it....

• Fire 1

Say what you want about Mark Richt, but he is ranked 5th on the list of active coaches (after Spurrier, Saban, Stoops, & Miles) in wins vs. ranked opponents, and holds multiple victories over three of those guys. Born and raised in Nebraska... elite recruiter... multiple BCS wins... multiple conference titles... yet he "never wins squat." :rolleyes:

We are not hiring Richt :facepalm:

Mark Richt's total-debacle losses really are becoming annual things

Once again, Mark Richt’s Georgia Bulldogs stumble on big stage

Yet another big loss for Mark Richt

and ouch...

Richt and Georgia fall off stage again when it matters most and ouch... Big football games at Georgia have produced living, breathing sideshows. There's the game itself and the dread over how its coach is going to lose it....

Yeah, UGA hasn't won a conference championship in 10 years and we're on 16. I fear having him here would add 10 more years to our number. Atlanta is the top recruiting hot bed right now, so this talk of him being this glorious recruiter is BS. Any coach down there with a pulse could pull in the talent.

• Fire 1

USC

Minnesota

Va Tech

South Carolina

Miami

UCF

Illinois

Maryland

Hawaii

N Texas

Where would Nebraska rank after we have fired 9 win coaches 2x and a coach after 1 year. 5-7th, no thanks. Gotta give MR more time rather than taking sloppy 5ths.

1. USC

2a. Miami

2b. South Carolina

3. Nebraska

4-11. The rest

I think Herman and Fuente end up in some combination of USC/Miami/South Carolina. Probably Herman to USC and Fuente to South Carolina. Or maybe they wait to see if Texas (Herman?) and Georgia (Fuente?) open up? Miami? Probably a tie to a former coach like Davis or Schiano. There is a lot of openings and that is why I think Frost's time is now. If we don't do this now, could we see Frost in our division at Illinois or Minny? I would not be shocked.

USC

Minnesota

Va Tech

South Carolina

Miami

UCF

Illinois

Maryland

Hawaii

N Texas

1. USC

2a. Miami

2b. South Carolina

3. Nebraska

4-11. The rest

I think Herman and Fuente end up in some combination of USC/Miami/South Carolina. Probably Herman to USC and Fuente to South Carolina. Or maybe they wait to see if Texas (Herman?) and Georgia (Fuente?) open up? Miami? Probably a tie to a former coach like Davis or Schiano. There is a lot of openings and that is why I think Frost's time is now. If we don't do this now, could we see Frost in our division at Illinois or Minny? I would not be shocked.

I'm thinking Herman goes to Texas. It just makes too much sense, knows the area, runs a system that's perfect for Jerrod Heard, coached at Houston just like Briles and Sumlin. Then again....it's Texas they do things a little different down there.

Miami won't go with Davis, too much baggage on that guy and they just went through a self-imposed postseason ban...can't risk any more heat. I'm thinking they go with Mario Cristobal, the former FIU coach and current offensive line coach at Alabama.

Problem with Frost is that absolutely no one outside of Nebraska is talking about him for a head coaching vacancy... and the only reason Nebraska is, is because he played for the Huskers. That's a poor reason to hire someone.

I mean if everyone above Frost says no, then go after him with your gamble... But there are so many more choices that are more experienced and are a great fit for Nebraska. Tom Herman is the absolute perfect fit for the Huskers, and honestly he should have been hired last year.

Completely incorrect. In the first article you've even got Kirk Herbstreit saying that Frost is ready. Frost is a hot coaching name right now, and his offense is still a beast in Oregon without Mariota.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/12/scott_frost_to_leave_oregon_it.html

http://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-terrapins-football/2015/11/1/9650368/Scott-frost-maryland-coaching-search-candidates

http://www.chicagonow.com/daily-chicago-sports-tab/2015/08/scott-frost-the-man-for-champaign/

With the way the media raved about the Mike Riley hire, I would take any opinion from them with a boulder of salt. There is no way he's going to either Illinois or Maryland.

That said... Oregon's offense has struggled this year against teams that matter. See Utah. Full judgement will be held out until they play Stanford though.

The media didn't rave about the hire.

USC

Minnesota

Va Tech

South Carolina

Miami

UCF

Illinois

Maryland

Hawaii

N Texas

1. USC

2a. Miami

2b. South Carolina

3. Nebraska

4-11. The rest

Might be adding Texas onto that list. I would almost put VT ahead of us just for the fact that their program has been solid and basically unchanged for a long time and it might be appealing to a coach. I do think that Bud Foster will take over for Beamer though.

I think that I would put VT ahead of us. A lot of talent in the Hampton Roads area.

USC

Minnesota

Va Tech

South Carolina

Miami

UCF

Illinois

Maryland

Hawaii

N Texas

1. USC

2a. Miami

2b. South Carolina

3. Nebraska

4-11. The rest

I think that I would put VT ahead of us. A lot of talent in the Hampton Roads area.

Beamer has been able to pretty much able to lock up that area but can a new coach? UVa, Maryland, ECU, UNC, NC State, and Duke are all closer to Hampton Roads than Virginia Tech.

One VT fan friend of mine says that Beamer was never afraid to take a chance on kids of questionable character like the Vick brothers from that area, and hope he could control enough of them them well enough to make it work. Not sure just how accurate that is and whether those kids are any worse from other places, but bottom line, Blacksburg is truly in the middle of nowhere. Great mountain town but I don't know how much of a draw that is.

Think we need to discuss coordinators in the same breath as these head coaching prospects--it's one of the reasons I'm good with Richt.

IIRC, Richt has gone out and got excellent coordinators in the past, and if he were to nab excellent coordinators at Nebraska, then you're only depending on Richt to put a good face on things, recruit, and manage effectively. And Richt has done all three things well in the past at Georgia, though there is some debate open on the recruiting bit and location, understandably, and having a 'native son' is important to some of the boosters and would help with the first requirement a lot.

Richt isn't as bad a hire as some folks are making him out to be--and while Richt may not be the best candidate available overall, he sure as hell isn't as bad as folks are making him out to be, and there's little need to whitewash Richt's history to make him palatable. He would be coming into Lincoln with a hell of a better resume than what Callahan, Riley, or even Bo did.

Yeah, there are sexier hires out there (e.g. Herman) that would be a hell of a good hire for Nebraska, but unless the boosters are prepared to get into a bidding war with the dirty oil whores of Austin, he's not a realistic target.

I live in Hampton Roads and am pretty plugged into the recruiting here. VT owned this area for a good long while but has slipped quite a bit lately. Mike London was actually able to start turning kids back to Virginia and Cutcliffe has worked the area as well. Hampton Roads was Beamers secret weapon for a while, but he lost his grip on it the past 8 years or so. Definitely a lot of talent here though

GOAT is the only one who wants Richt. I can't figure out why either.

its only because the 72 hours he spent living in omaha as a kid makes him a nebraska guy. Its that simple. And that delusional.
He lived here until he was 7, and cheered for the Huskers as a kid. Sounds like the delusional one is you my friend.

GOAT is the only one who wants Richt. I can't figure out why either.

its only because the 72 hours he spent living in omaha as a kid makes him a nebraska guy. Its that simple. And that delusional.
It's also because he has mentioned he lives in SEC country, so he actually believes the hype.
I guess all those national titles they won in a row was a delusion, too. You're trying to tell me that from top to bottom the SEC isn't superior to the B1G? Give me a break.

I've listed Richt's qualifications numerous times. There simply is no candidate who is more qualified, or who brings more to the table. Show me another coach who has multiple conference titles, multiple BCS wins, multiple sins vs. Sabsn and Miles, and who can recruit like Richt, plus has Nebraska ties. None of these guys you are mentioning have anywhere near the resume of Richt. Likely doesn't matter anyway, because he'll get his 9 wins this year and keep his job. That being said, Riley isn't going anywhere either, so by the time the Nebraska job is open Herman will be long gone.