Mike Riley is done.

Agreed. Banker, our Special Teams coach, and our DB coach all need to pound pavement as soon as the end of season (or bowl game prep) gets here. And someone really should take playcalling away from Langsdorf (if they haven't already).

I'd be fine with keeping Riley on if he's willing to clean house. But if he's not, then give him his walking papers too, because we don't have time as a program for that s***.

Agreed. Banker, our Special Teams coach, and our DB coach all need to pound pavement as soon as the end of season (or bowl game prep) gets here. And someone really should take playcalling away from Langsdorf (if they haven't already).

I'd be fine with keeping Riley on if he's willing to clean house. But if he's not, then give him his walking papers too, because we don't have time as a program for that s***.

IF Langsdorff can figure out to run the football ,and utilize our stable of RBs, I am fine with him. He is actually a good QB coach, he just needs a real QB at the helm ,and I think that is what we are all hoping for with O'Brien. You look at his track record at Oregon State and he did a decent job. He had multiple QBs with NFL talent there and also Oregon State had utilized the run with some decent RBs.

I have hope for Langs, and will give him another year with Riley. Banker on the other hand needs to be replaced. I understand the long relationship with him and Riley, and I doubt Riley fires him, so I wouldn't be surprised if Riley just gives him a position job, like D-Line.

Go out there and hire Orgeron.

IF Langsdorff can figure out to run the football ,and utilize our stable of RBs, I am fine with him. He is actually a good QB coach, he just needs a real QB at the helm ,and I think that is what we are all hoping for with O'Brien. You look at his track record at Oregon State and he did a decent job. He had multiple QBs with NFL talent there and also Oregon State had utilized the run with some decent RBs.

I have hope for Langs, and will give him another year with Riley. Banker on the other hand needs to be replaced. I understand the long relationship with him and Riley, and I doubt Riley fires him, so I wouldn't be surprised if Riley just gives him a position job, like D-Line.

That's just it. We have moments like last night or the Minny game where it seems like Langsdorf 'gets it', and then we have an Illinois, or Purdue on our hands.

And I agree with what you say about Banker and Ogeron. Kinda shocked that Riley didn't tap him sooner when he was offering on Twitter to come to Lincoln--I think a lot of folks could have weathered this season better knowing there was, say, a Top 15 recruiting class waiting in the wings.

• Fire 1

That's just it. We have moments like last night or the Minny game where it seems like Langsdorf 'gets it', and then we have an Illinois, or Purdue on our hands.

And I agree with what you say about Banker and Ogeron. Kinda shocked that Riley didn't tap him sooner when he was offering on Twitter to come to Lincoln--I think a lot of folks could have weathered this season better knowing there was, say, a Top 15 recruiting class waiting in the wings.

And Orgeron would've been guaranteed to bring in a Top 15 class?

It's a hypothetical, and a more realistic one were Ogeron on staff. There were quite a few folks hoping Riley would bring him on just for his recruiting acumen.

That's not to say this staff can't make a Top 15 class happen...just that it's not as likely without.

It's a hypothetical, and a more realistic one were Ogeron on staff. There were quite a few folks hoping Riley would bring him on just for his recruiting acumen.

That's not to say this staff can't make a Top 15 class happen...just that it's not as likely without.

I wouldn't have minded Orgeron on this staff, and there was a rumor that he was interested. We probably won't have a Top 15 class this season, probably more like Top 25, which is where we've hovered for the past 10 years or so.

I wouldn't have minded Orgeron on this staff, and there was a rumor that he was interested. We probably won't have a Top 15 class this season, probably more like Top 25, which is where we've hovered for the past 10 years or so.

It's tough to say. He is known as one of the premiere recruiters in CFB though. I imagine having him on staff would have been similar to when we had John Blake recruiting for us and our top ranked 2005 recruiting class. Blake had a hand in a majority of the commitments. Orgeron has landed some good players at LSU. I don't know if I could see Orgeron leaving LSU anytime soon but he has a track record of wanting to be challenged. I wish Nebraska could get high profile assistants like LSU has -- Orgeron (DL), Kevin Steele (DC). Yeah, I don't see how our class will get in the top 15 just based off the total number of recruits we're looking for unless the rest of them are 4-star recruits.

IMO, Ogeron taking to Twitter and saying he'd be interested in being hired at Nebraska is more than a rumor--sounded like he was on board and ready to show up on the doorstep of Memorial Stadium if he were asked and the pay was right.

Really wish Riley would have given him a spot.

I really dont see Banker coming back as DC, probably a positions spot if Riley doesnt work his butt off trying to get Banker a HC gig or something better for next year. Again, they are probably best friends and I don't see a full fledge firing.

But you get a top notch DC here and things change.

Yeah, the least impressive hire made during the offseason, IMO, was Banker. He's another likable guy and is good for a quote or two in every press conference, but his system always left something to be desired.

Again something to consider when thinking about his system is the lack of the personnel to run a quarters system. It's a very similar system to the run ran by Michigan State under Pat Narduzzi (and we all know how effective that system is). Two differences though: 1) a lack of a genuine pass rush and 2) a lack of a single shutdown corner. Those two things there are what made MSU's defense so dominant in the B1G for the past several seasons.

If we can get a Trae Waynes/Darqueze Dennard type player to develop at Nebraska, we may be in business.

I can't see Riley firing Banker. Perhaps he will help him land a job elsewhere that way he won't have to fire him otherwise it's hard to imagine our defense getting any better. If we were a top 50 defense, I'd be more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but at this point of the season based on what I have seen thus far, I cannot do that.

Stanford IMO runs a better quarters coverage. They will adjust to a Cover 2 but mostly Cover 3 if they see a formation that appears to be a passing situation or depending on down and distance. Our defense looked a lot more comfortable in Cover 2 coverage against Michigan State. Talent will always trump scheme and maybe this is the case of the talent being utilized incorrectly, I don't know. It sounds like the coaches are placing blame on players not "buying in." To the average fan that may sound like an excuse to get an extra year and I hope that's not the case because I don't see Banker having much success on defense. Riley needs to think real hard about getting a known commodity to coach defense.

Yeah, this is barely a rough patch in Bankerville. Riley and him have experience in these manners.

Clearly what must happen is for Husker Nation to go out and recruit some studs for Banker. We need guys so good all he has to do is stitch "stay tight" in their underwear. This week we'll hit Jersey...I know they don't play much football up in that corner of the world but we've had some success there in the past. Then next week I'll get the map out and we'll allocate fan recruiters to the rest of the country. Don't spend too much time talking to the players themselves, go straight for the moms and girlfriends. It's more efficient that way.