Players to fans, "Stick with us."

Dansker

Junior punter Sam Foltz had this message to Husker fans that have lost faith in this team after Saturday's loss.

"Stick with us," Foltz said when asked what his message to Husker fans is. "Stick with us. You are the greatest fans in college football and hopefully show us and stick behind us and we're going to keep fighting.

"This is obviously not the season we all signed up for, but we are here and we have to keep fighting and hopefully they'll stick with us because they are the greatest fans in college football and we are going to keep fighting our tails off for them and hopefully they'll keep supporting us."

https://nebraska.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1820169

That's the message voiced by Sam Foltz. Players like Jack Gangwish is more prone to show visually asking the fans to stick with us by his embracing the fans yesterday, Jordan Westerkamp has said they want to keep fighting. The players want the fans not to give up on them. We did this in 2004, 2007, and sporadically throughout the Pelini era. They're nearly pleading with the fan base to "stick with them." There is, I think, a hidden meaning in all of this that says, "You can give up on this coaching staff but don't ever give up on us." The fact of the matter is these boys play for NEBRASKA. They know now more than ever that this program is bigger than any single one person. That we are arguably the greatest fans of all.

The players have been through some dark times sure, but let's remember these players are not far from being removed from a coaching staff that was here for 7 years so right now they may be feeling vulnerable as if they only have each other and their fans. They love the fans. The players say they want to keep fighting and as a fan, I have to respect this but my message to them would be you've got to get your motor going early and for 4 quarters. Whatever it takes, play smart and have some fun out there and don't ever give up an inch to the opposition. I have seen first hand players giving up on plays, I have seen coaches stand emotionally frozen on the sidelines with no communication which is IMO, the single biggest issue with this team; failed communication.

Individually, they know who they are and I am not going to put their name in here to embarrass them but, we can blame the coaches, we can blame the players, and the players can blame the coaches or vice versa, everyone shares the blame here. Fans are entitled to have expectations and we didn't expect this team to be 3-6 at this point of the season and historically could go down as one of the worst seasons in Husker lore. There is a silver lining in all of this -- There is a window of opportunity where all of this can change. Anything can happen. So, the message from the players is clear, they need us right now, they're hurt, they're tired and worn out. If we can give them 110% vocal support against Michigan State at home, wear red, be proud and loud, then maybe the players could push just a little more and ride that wave to the end. Right now all we can do is play the role of spoiler. We might be 3-6 but the idea of being able to go out and ruin the Spartan's season or even Iowa's should be enough to ignite the fire inside of a Cornhusker.

• Fire 3

I may be coming off a bit dick-ish, but I've never understood players needing fan support to motivate them to play at, or near, their highest level. The vast majority of the players don't know the fans, and vice versa. I understand it can be an emotional jolt to have a bunch of people yelling for you, but if it was that major of a factor, we wouldn't have seen some of the performances that have so far transpired. Now, if their family and close friends are giving them the business, I can see that being somewhat debilitating.

Absolutely going to support these guys. Never stopped believing in the players, I know what they're capable of. People keep saying these guys aren't trying, or we don't have the talent level but I think that's absolutely ludicrous. Keep giving it your all out there guys!

I agree. This isn't the season they wanted and neither the fans but it's not over. They've got to get up and fight harder than they ever have had all season because we have one top 10 opponent who is looking to stay unbeaten and make sure we stay home for Christmas. We know the players are capable of beating Michigan State so its on them to perform. Do that, and then we can focus on Rutgers. I'm going to be in Lincoln to support these players and that's it.

I may be coming off a bit dick-ish, but I've never understood players needing fan support to motivate them to play at, or near, their highest level. The vast majority of the players don't know the fans, and vice versa. I understand it can be an emotional jolt to have a bunch of people yelling for you, but if it was that major of a factor, we wouldn't have seen some of the performances that have so far transpired. Now, if their family and close friends are giving them the business, I can see that being somewhat debilitating.

They're pleading with the fan base not to give up on them. That's all. I disagree with your post. Most of these players wouldn't be here if it weren't for the fans, the sellout streak, the tradition, all of it.

The players need to realize its not "us against them". Its not a them against the world or what ever mentality Bo fostered. Its not an inclusive support the players AND the staff. I can support the players and do. I do not support the staff. I do not support the performance players who half a$$ it during games (still support the team and player, but not effort). The team needs to police itself and hold these guys as accountable as they do the fans.

Fans are not abandoning the team, but they do recognize poor coaching and guys not "getting with the program".

• Fire 1

They don't need the fans to be motivated, but they understand the fan base is turning sour towards this team and don't want it to be directed at the players. It's why in the Dillard thread, I don't understand the people that are just writing him off. He's been through a situation just like this under Callahan.

The players need to realize its not "us against them". Its not a them against the world or what ever mentality Bo fostered. Its not an inclusive support the players AND the staff. I can support the players and do. I do not support the staff. I do not support the performance players who half a$$ it during games (still support the team and player, but not effort). The team needs to police itself and hold these guys as accountable as they do the fans.

Fans are not abandoning the team, but they do recognize poor coaching and guys not "getting with the program".

I agree with some of this. I do think there has to be some accountability here and we haven't seen it. I understand fans like you may not want to support the team blindly. A smart fan like yourself calls a spade a spade and recognizes the poor coaching like myself and guys not giving it there all. I'm just as disappointed as the next fan.

Purdue didn't just pound another nail into the coffin of the 2015 season for Nebraska, they lit the coffin on fire.

Ouch.

I wince when I hear people attacking the players, accusing them of lack of effort/caring. I'm a bit relieved to hear they don't lump all of us fans into that category.

I'll always be a Husker fan, win or lose. It was cool seeing Gangwish jump into the stands and thank people after the game. Made me proud. Even teared up a little. Easy to stay a Husker fan when you see stuff like that.

I feel so bad for the Seniors. They've been through so much. That's why I was clinging to the hope of a bowl game, some kind of reward.

An upset over MSU or an undefeated Iowa would be a nice send off to guys like Sam and Gangwish.

Purdue didn't just pound another nail into the coffin of the 2015 season for Nebraska, they lit the coffin on fire.

Ouch.

I wince when I hear people attacking the players, accusing them of lack of effort/caring. I'm a bit relieved to hear they don't lump all of us fans into that category.

I'll always be a Husker fan, win or lose. It was cool seeing Gangwish jump into the stands and thank people after the game. Made me proud. Even teared up a little. Easy to stay a Husker fan when you see stuff like that.

I feel so bad for the Seniors. They've been through so much. That's why I was clinging to the hope of a bowl game, some kind of reward.

An upset over MSU or an undefeated Iowa would be a nice send off to guys like Sam and Gangwish.

I don't like how you quoted me, lol. The writer is the one who talked about a coffin.

Who said we were giving up on the players? This team has a ton of talent, they just need to use it right.

Every poster writing about lack of player's effort, player's with a "Bo mentality", lack of talent and no talent walk-ons, and calling for Riley to clean house and get "his guys" in. Yeah those guys.

This was a 9-4 team last year that has a new staff come in and show a lack of faith in them and what they've accomplished, and a lot of folks have turned their blind defense of MR and his failings into an indictment of the players. I can see why they might feel abandoned.

• Fire 1

Obviously I (we) will not give up on the players, staff is questionable at this point but let's be realistic that "the greatest fans" will mimic the team. If the team doesn't want to show up, fans will eventually start to turn. If the team fights, so will the fans.

I'm not saying it's gonna be a half empty stadium any time soon but you cannot turn out a possible 3-9 season and another bad season next year and expect people to pay to go. Sam with your "plead", we also as fans have a plea, Grab your team and figure out what's up with these loses, fans have your back.