Dear Husker Nation: Letter from OSU fan

KazLong

During the four years I went to OSU, we had 5 wins in total. That was before Riley. The fan who wrote the letter is obviously a younger fan who has no idea of OSU's football history. Riley turned it around and got close to 2 Rose Bowl appearances. That's a big deal for a school with a terrible history in football.

Thinking DONU has 10 win talent is delusional. The D is devoid of any talent except for the a few. Even our All World Safety can't tackle very well. On O, the line is terrible as are the backs. Newby goes down easier than a 2 dollar hooker.

Considering they won 9 games last year with many of the same guys it really isn't even close to being delusional.

Who do we have that is equivalent to Ameer?

Who do we have that is equivalent to Randy Gregory?

Who do we have that is equivalent to Kenny Bell?

Who do we have that is equivalent to Zaire Anderson?

Answers:

Who do we have that is equivalent to Ameer? No one was going to come in and do better than Ameer. We do have a player who's capable of making guys miss however but he's been riding pine all damn season.

Who do we have that is equivalent to Randy Gregory? Maliek Collins

Who do we have that is equivalent to Kenny Bell? Ever hear of a guy nicknamed Westerstache? He's made a few plays here and there. He's on the youtube if you're curious.

Who do we have that is equivalent to Zaire Anderson? Nate Gerry is still here. He was second on the team in tackles last year behind Anderson.

Enough with the excuses Rilievers....

Agreed, we have no one better than Ameer and for that matter DPE last year. (those two won us two games (arguably three) last year by themselves)

Maliek Collins was here last year, and doesn't even play the same position. My question still remains, who is equivalent to Randy Gregory.

Westercamp was here last year as well, Who do we have to replace Kenny's deep threat and blocking skills?

Nate Gerry doesn't play the same position as Zaire Anderson, and was obviously here last year as well.

So what you are saying is we are still good, because we replaced 4 MAJOR contributors with players that were already on the team last year? Ok, if you want to play that game. Who takes those guy's place then?

You can't take 22-4 and have it still equal 22 (no matter how hard you wish it to be true)

Here is the point and I'll make it by simply asking you a question.

Do you feel the loss of 2 players constitutes a rebuilding year????

It doesn't matter that we don't have the equivalent of a Randy Gregory at DE ready to fill his shoes this year because first off what team is going to re load like that? I listed Maliek Collins simply because you're implying that by losing Randy Gregory who else do we have left this year that is just as good? You're not going to have a guy step in a be 'as good' as Randy was at DE last year unless you catch lightening in a bottle. Were you really expecting that?

There are enough players from last years team that won 9 games to warrant having a far, far better record than this years 3-6 record but it's painfully obvious from your posts that this is the fact that you simply cannot and do not want to come to terms with......

That argument is the equivalent of saying "Well if you take away the three 80 yard TD runs, the RB didn't do squat"

This masterful team that won 9 games last year would have directly only one 7 games without those two players, possibly only 6. If we were 6-7 last year, would 3-6 this year be unexpected?

So, yes this team with all of the dysfunction left by the previous staff, the change in schemes, the loss of 4-5 playmakers and no one to replace them, is not going to be very good.

It is so convenient for the Riley and Eichorst haters to just throw aside the fact that the talent as it exists right now on this team is not very good. The 247 composite rankings for the starters for the Purdue game was actually less than that of Purdue. That is including Newby and DPE whom were gone after the first qtr.

The facts do not lie, Nebraska is at the talent level TODAY of Purdue. But go ahead and keep wishing and hoping that Nebraska will win games just because they are Nebraska and kids will pee their pants when they show up.

• Fire 2

Can people stop using EWUs win over OSU as some catastrophic loss? EWU has an offense that averages almost 50 points per game against D1 teams the past 3 years. They also had a QB who was a Walter Payton runner up who is lighting it up against D1 teams as he transferred up, to go with the best freshman of the year - a guy that will leave FCS with nearly every WR record there is. No one blames KSU for losing to NDSU, and people regard Snyder as some genius.

• Fire 1

Can people stop using EWUs win over OSU as some catastrophic loss? EWU has an offense that averages almost 50 points per game against D1 teams the past 3 years. They also had a QB who was a Walter Payton runner up who is lighting it up against D1 teams as he transferred up, to go with the best freshman of the year - a guy that will leave FCS with nearly every WR record there is. No one blames KSU for losing to NDSU, and people regard Snyder as some genius.

So it's still OK to use the CalState - Sacramento loss against him?

Have at it. I'm not pointing that out to defend Riley. Lumping those two teams together as equals is a weak point and more of an emotional argument than a logical one.

Have at it. I'm not pointing that out to defend Riley. Lumping those two teams together as equals is a weak point and more of an emotional argument than a logical one.

I'm pretty sure Riley is the only P5 coach with 2 losses to FCS teams.

During the four years I went to OSU, we had 5 wins in total. That was before Riley. The fan who wrote the letter is obviously a younger fan who has no idea of OSU's football history. Riley turned it around and got close to 2 Rose Bowl appearances. That's a big deal for a school with a terrible history in football.

Thinking DONU has 10 win talent is delusional. The D is devoid of any talent except for the a few. Even our All World Safety can't tackle very well. On O, the line is terrible as are the backs. Newby goes down easier than a 2 dollar hooker.

That's the thing about history, its in the past. Riley washed out around 2009 and slid on thin ice each season just barely scraping by, plus he was not allowing OSU to be in a better position to win by protecting his good ole boys. As for the current record, it's to be expected. Riley left the cupboard more than dry with no QB's (atleast developed) and with the 9th youngest team in the nation. Gary Andersen is WAY out recruiting Riley in his first year with a losing season. Riley had low expectations placed upon him and thus he could get by being mediocre with the occasional "good" season. That won't cut it in Nebraska though, he doesn't have what it takes to take a program to the next level (or maintain a high level) and he's being exposed for it.

• Fire 3

Nebraska has enough talent on this team to be....let's say #23 - #28 in the country.

It's been that way for several years now.

It's to bad half of that talent is not here anymore, or is in the training room injured.

I'm not really flattering this team to say they have #28 talent, but even with injuries Nebraska has enough talent to win more than three of these games. If we want to maintain the storyline that they're a few inches and seconds away from being 7 - 2 or 6 - 3, then you'd have to say they still have #23 - #28 talent. If you think I'm trying to blame Riley for everything and vindicate Bo, then you haven't been reading my posts. I honestly think it's more complicated then we're making it. It's not simply a trainwreck of coaching, it's a dumpster fire that's been waiting to happen. It's a little of everything in a great big sh•t sandwich.

I think the next coach will do better with this same talent next year, and that coach could well be Mike Riley.

Oregon State fans have their own 2-6 season to worry about. It's no wonder some of them have taken to penning letters.

As for the "who cares if he's" -- what, professional? A guy who has his priorities straight? A guy we should be happy (at least from an off-field standpoint) is in charge of the student-athletes at UNL? ... disappointing opinions :(, but it comes with the territory of losing in a passionate environment. Agree to disagree.

Nebraska class is a huge source of pride for me. I have only very tangential ties to the university or the state, but that feeling that it's a special place with special people is why it is always my favorite program to follow.

You opinion is disappointing.

• Fire 1

Considering they won 9 games last year with many of the same guys it really isn't even close to being delusional.

Who do we have that is equivalent to Ameer?

Who do we have that is equivalent to Randy Gregory?

Who do we have that is equivalent to Kenny Bell?

Who do we have that is equivalent to Zaire Anderson?

Now add in about 20 different injuries and maybe, just maybe you guys might start to understand that we are very talent deficient. Yes, we have some talented players on the team right now, but you need more than 5 or 6 (or even 11). You need around 20-30 talented players to compete, and 30-40 to start thinking championships.

Excuses. Every year there are injuries and people that leave. Of course, they "could" win ten games.

I love how people now explain, after the losses, that it's a talent issue. All I remember in the offseason is how we have talent and can easily win 9 games. It's call revisionist history.

• Fire 3

I don't have a problem saying Ameer was the difference between two or three games being losses instead of wins, he was that good. Gregory was that good also, but what percentage of defensive plays did he actually play. He was sidelined quite a bit.

So maybe we did only have seven win talent last year.

But while our talent level might only be at the five, six, or seven will level this year the competetion we've played upps that level considerably. I think the people saying this team is 8-1 or 7-2 under Bo are probably correct ( and I still think firing Bo was the right decision). This staff is not good.

We're every bit or more talented than every team we've played so far.

• Fire 2

That's the thing about history, its in the past. Riley washed out around 2009 and slid on thin ice each season just barely scraping by, plus he was not allowing OSU to be in a better position to win by protecting his good ole boys. As for the current record, it's to be expected. Riley left the cupboard more than dry with no QB's (atleast developed) and with the 9th youngest team in the nation. Gary Andersen is WAY out recruiting Riley in his first year with a losing season. Riley had low expectations placed upon him and thus he could get by being mediocre with the occasional "good" season. That won't cut it in Nebraska though, he doesn't have what it takes to take a program to the next level (or maintain a high level) and he's being exposed for it.

I appreciate your input. Please don't take offense at some of the posters here. To defend their ego and past statements, they have to attack others. Sorry for their actions.

I'm pretty sure Riley is the only P5 coach with 2 losses to FCS teams.

Paul Rhoads 2013 Northern Iowa and 2014 NDSU