Let's Look at Precedent

Landlord

Texas seems quite a bit similar.

Royal was Devaney/Osborne. Not exactly, but definitely The Legend.

Akers was Solich. Almost Osborne, in that he was a younger assistant coach somewhat unexpected promoted to the top. Not sure if he faced the same challenges Osborne did with the early staff, but he didn't overcome the challenges and it became more like Solich. Some very good seasons, some not so good, and eventually let go for not living up to The Legend.

McWilliams was Solich extended. Another former assistant. One good season but less successful overall.

Mackovic was Callahan. The Outsider. Some early successes but didn't fit in. I moved to Austin for a few years a couple years after he was gone and they hated him, but he didn't seem to wreck the program.

Brown was where they diverged. He was what we hoped Pelini would've been, at least for awhile. No ties to the program. A lot of success and a championship, though he got fat and the program grew soft and complacent and struggled at the end.

Strong is Riley, but only in lack of success. A bigger name hire, more excitement but he's running out of time. People who want Herman or Fuente now would've drooled over Strong from his Louisville record. Did the OU win buy him another season to get his system and his way in? It is different in some ways because Strong has to rebuild from the malaise that Brown left the program in. Riley should have been able to build on Pelini's record without overhauling it. Apparently he does have to rebuild brick-by-brick, but I'm not seeing a plan like Strong has. But Strong may be another guy who just never fits in at Texas.

Akers was Solich. Almost Osborne, in that he was a younger assistant coach somewhat unexpected promoted to the top. Not sure if he faced the same challenges Osborne did with the early staff, but he didn't overcome the challenges and it became more like Solich. Some very good seasons, some not so good, and eventually let go for not living up to The Legend.

McWilliams was Solich extended. Another former assistant. One good season but less successful overall.

Mackovic was Callahan. The Outsider. Some early successes but didn't fit in. I moved to Austin for a few years a couple years after he was gone and they hated him, but he didn't seem to wreck the program.

Brown was where they diverged. He was what we hoped Pelini would've been, at least for awhile. No ties to the program. A lot of success and a championship, though he got fat and the program grew soft and complacent and struggled at the end.

Strong is Riley, but only in lack of success. A bigger name hire, more excitement but he's running out of time. People who want Herman or Fuente now would've drooled over Strong from his Louisville record. Did the OU win buy him another season to get his system and his way in? It is different in some ways because Strong has to rebuild from the malaise that Brown left the program in. Riley should have been able to build on Pelini's record without overhauling it. Apparently he does have to rebuild brick-by-brick, but I'm not seeing a plan like Strong has. But Strong may be another guy who just never fits in at Texas.

This is all a bit of a stretch IMO. Texas is similar to Nebraska in that Texas fans and Nebraska fans think they should be good and relevant all the time in college football. That is about the only similarity I can see. Texas is built on arrogant, good ole boy, rich oil man principles that we are entitled to the most of everything all the time, because everything is bigger in Texas. We will buy what we want.

Nebraska is built on we are going to out work you and keep out nose to the grindstone. We are going to do it smarter than you do it and over achieve because we are just a bunch of poor old farmers. This in itself is its own kind of arrogance I guess.

In 2004 I thought firing FS was a bad move and I still think it was. SP was an arrogant dick who thought the system was broken and he didn't like FS and the feeling was mutual. Frank put together an amazing staff that should have been allowed to work together for a couple of years. That IMO is where the problems really started.

After 40 years of laughing at the programs that went through this kind of crap, I'm saddened to see the principles of Devaney and Osborne micturated upon by slimy and lesser men such Perlman, Pederson and Eichorst.

The remaining legs of PPE team need to be ridden out of town on a pole.

It's truly saddening.

This is all a bit of a stretch IMO. Texas is similar to Nebraska in that Texas fans and Nebraska fans think they should be good and relevant all the time in college football. That is about the only similarity I can see. Texas is built on arrogant, good ole boy, rich oil man principles that we are entitled to the most of everything all the time, because everything is bigger in Texas. We will buy what we want.

Nebraska is built on we are going to out work you and keep out nose to the grindstone. We are going to do it smarter than you do it and over achieve because we are just a bunch of poor old farmers. This in itself is its own kind of arrogance I guess.

In 2004 I thought firing FS was a bad move and I still think it was. SP was an arrogant dick who thought the system was broken and he didn't like FS and the feeling was mutual. Frank put together an amazing staff that should have been allowed to work together for a couple of years. That IMO is where the problems really started.

Correction, that ethic is what Devaney and Osborne instilled, and tried to keep going through Solich and Pelni.

This current program is more influenced by the PPE than by Bob and Tom, and it has nothing to do with core values of "less flash and more hard work."

i sometimes wonder (mostly when I'm tremendously bored) in how many extra years Vince Young got Mack Brown at Texas. Both when he was playing and after winning the MNC.

Oklahoma - Gary Gibbs was hired to clean up Oklahoma's image, which he succeeded in, but was forced to resign after 6 decent seasons without signature big victories. OU hired Howard Schnellenberglerhage;i in 1995, who went 5-5-1, following the two previous seasons of 9-3, and 6-6 beforehand, but he unexpectedly resigned after the first season, saying, "in recent months a climate has developed toward the program, understandably in some cases and perhaps unfairly in others, that has changed my outlook on the situation. A change could help improve that climate." OU then hired John Blake, who went 3-8, 4-8, and 5-6, was fired, and led to the hiring of Bob Stoops.

Pretty sure Howie was forced out at OU.

Shellenberger beat us for a national championship. Blake was one of most successful recruiters for a short time. We fired Craig Bohl as our DC, he wins three championships at NDSU, and is now losing most games at Wyoming. Callahan gets fired at Oakland and Nebraska and then is lauded as an offensive guru with the Jets and Cowboys. Too bad the good coaches don't have a "future star" tattooed on their foreheads when idiots like Eichhorst go on a personal hiring spree.

So, what you're saying is, based on average precedents, we will hire 1 or 2 more coaches who suck after Riley, before we get someone decent in here. Great!

Michigan, USC, Texas, OU, Tennessee, Miami, and on and on, provide ample evidence to see that successfully replacing a good or a bad coach is far from a sure thing. If SE has another crack at it as NU's AD I'd probably put my money on him making an unsuccessful choice.

I don't know what to think about Texas. They're a mess, and there's really no explanation for it.

Maybe we just need each other to be any good...lol

We were rarely any good when we were playing Texas, but I've often thought they benefitted tremendously from kicking our asses 9/10 times.

Correction, that ethic is what Devaney and Osborne instilled, and tried to keep going through Solich and Pelni.

This current program is more influenced by the PPE than by Bob and Tom, and it has nothing to do with core values of "less flash and more hard work."

When I say this I mean this what I feel Nebraska fans think. They like the fact that our football program was built on hard work and overcoming obstacles and showing everyone that this little state population wise can compete and win against all the odds against us. This is one of the things Nebraska football fans have prided themselves on. No the program has not been this for a long time, but that is what Nebraska fans want.

I have no idea what PPe is

When I say this I mean this what I feel Nebraska fans think. They like the fact that our football program was built on hard work and overcoming obstacles and showing everyone that this little state population wise can compete and win against all the odds against us. This is one of the things Nebraska football fans have prided themselves on. No the program has not been this for a long time, but that is what Nebraska fans want.

I have no idea what PPe is

I was only pointing out the similarities in the coaching hires as I've laid out, not to say that Texas and Nebraska share the same culture. Don't argue against things I never said nor meant.

For example, you mentioned firing Solich was a bad move. After McWilliams and Mackovic, I think many in Texas regretted firing Akers. Similar situation. He wasn't Royal, but he still did pretty well. At 86-31-2, he had a slightly better record than Solich.