Volkswagen and Nebraska Football

BIG ERN

Did you want Solich fired in '03?

I wish he would never have been hired as HC and Byrne would have been able to hire the coach he wanted. A coach that has won 80% of his games.

What coach was that?

The Solich haters think Byrne was going to get Stoops.

So you don’t think Byrne’s hands were tied and Solich was his top choice?

And I’m not a Solich hater; his service to the University is admirable and he was a great Running Backs coach. I’m just someone who never thought he was the best choice to take over the program and wished then and still do that we would have hired someone else (from that staff or from outside the program).

Thanks though.

That expresses how I feel about Solich better than I could have myself. He did admirable work on TO's staff, and he was a gamer as a ball player (from what I've read). But I wasn't keen on seeing him take over as head coach. Oh well. It's water under the bridge. Frank recovered, and put together a nice body of work at Ohio.

Frank put together a really nice body of work as HC of the Huskers. A very underappreciated body of work.

TO had a great quote about that. That some day a kid would be looking at the record books and say "That Frank Solich was a heck of a coach."

I think it will take about 10 more years.

I wish he would never have been hired as HC and Byrne would have been able to hire the coach he wanted. A coach that has won 80% of his games.

What coach was that?

And I’m not a Solich hater; his service to the University is admirable and he was a great Running Backs coach. I’m just someone who never thought he was the best choice to take over the program and wished then and still do that we would have hired someone else (from that staff or from outside the program).

Thanks though.

That expresses how I feel about Solich better than I could have myself. He did admirable work on TO's staff, and he was a gamer as a ball player (from what I've read). But I wasn't keen on seeing him take over as head coach. Oh well. It's water under the bridge. Frank recovered, and put together a nice body of work at Ohio.

Frank put together a really nice body of work as HC of the Huskers. A very underappreciated body of work.

TO had a great quote about that. That some day a kid would be looking at the record books and say "That Frank Solich was a heck of a coach."

I think it will take about 10 more years.

No wating needed. It's happened and continues to happen all the time. The only ones that don't say that are the rare so-called Husker fans who somehow never developed hindsight (or maybe just have no ability to admit they were wrong.)

Preface, just so I don't get flamed by The World's Greatest Fan(s) - Again, I'm glad Bo go fired. I'm in that corner. This comment is just coming off the top of my head more than anything...

I do quite enjoy seeing the selectivity with which people see Osborne's decisions. Osborne picks Solich. Solich gets remembered as a loser. Osborne picks Bo. Bo turns out to be classless a** clown. Not a single f*** given.

Just interesting. Doesn't really matter...but still interesting.

So youre admonishing others for possibly seeing a need for a change after a 3-6 start, saying we are completely unreasonable, spoiled and probably need a string of 3-9 seasons to reset expectations.

but admit you were wanting to fire a husker legend who had won .700+ of his games, won a conf championship, gone to an NC game and had a bright young staff.

You don't see the disconnect here??

6 years and 7 years in to 9 weeks.

See the disconnect here?

If you know something about boxing, you are familiar with the "brawler vs boxer" styles. A brawler can win any fight, including against a much better boxer. (punchers chance) but they will almost always lose to a well disciplined boxer especially in the upper ranks of the sport.

Pelini's teams were "brawlers" (only using as an analogy and not comparing toughness or physical style) they were un-disciplined, played on the edge, often used emotion to overcome lack of skill and execution and this was good for at least 9 wins a season, but when they went up against the more skilled, better coached team (boxers) they lost and often badly.

I believe that MR is attempting to turn them into boxers. Not an easy task by any means, I dont like what I am seeing, but I believe this could get us back into the upper ranks.

• Fire 3

The crazy thing about the 03' season was that Texas was rated high, KSU might have been there best team ever, and Mizzou was really improved. That was a rebuilding year! 10-3 record. This program has never recovered from that season.

Everyone views those losses as really bad losses. How do those losses compare to Texas Tech, Kansas, Purdue, Illinois, NW, Iowa, and etc........

Hindsight is 20/20. This program still hasn't learned that yet, or its boosters. I would much rather have losses against 3 Top 15 ranked teams than against cellar dweller Big 10 teams, and thats what weve had now for 4 years. Northwestern, Iowa and now add Purdue and Illinois to that list.

At least when you said back in 03' that KSU, Texas and Mizzou were your only losses, you could also point at the year before and going 6-7 and getting beat by everyone. If memory serves me correct, all those teams in 03' that did beat us were rated in the Top 15 when we played. When was the last time we could say that we only lost to higher ranked teams????

Preface, just so I don't get flamed by The World's Greatest Fan(s) - Again, I'm glad Bo go fired. I'm in that corner. This comment is just coming off the top of my head more than anything...

I do quite enjoy seeing the selectivity with which people see Osborne's decisions. Osborne picks Solich. Solich gets remembered as a loser. Osborne picks Bo. Bo turns out to be classless a** clown. Not a single f*** given.

Do people really see Solich as a loser, though? I certainly don't. I see him as a coach who put together sustained success for several years but couldn't maintain it. His recruiting was one of his biggest downfalls, imho.

KSU ended ranked there after losing in the Fiesta Bowl to Buckeyes. Not familiar with Texas' ending of season, but those teams were very good. NO disgrace in losing those games. Mizzou wasn't bad either. Brad Smith was super fast. Everyone points to that, but hardly anyone remembers that Ozzy lost games to unranked Mizzou, Iowa ST and other teams along his tenure. Sometimes, some teams rise above for a period in time, but don't sustain it. This is what made Nebraska so great. Sure, we lost a few games in certain years to teasm we should not have, but during a 30 year period, we stayed consistent. Too late to know what would have been, but I think Solich would have maintained 9-10 wins a season. We will never know. Bo would have been here at least 3 years, and would have added to the recruiting base here along with Solich.

Now we are seeing the price we paid for being arrogant and unrealistic about the landscape of the sport.

• Fire 1

KSU ended ranked there after losing in the Fiesta Bowl to Buckeyes. Not familiar with Texas' ending of season, but those teams were very good. NO disgrace in losing those games. Mizzou wasn't bad either. Brad Smith was super fast. Everyone points to that, but hardly anyone remembers that Ozzy lost games to unranked Mizzou, Iowa ST and other teams along his tenure. Sometimes, some teams rise above for a period in time, but don't sustain it. This is what made Nebraska so great. Sure, we lost a few games in certain years to teasm we should not have, but during a 30 year period, we stayed consistent. Too late to know what would have been, but I think Solich would have maintained 9-10 wins a season. We will never know. Bo would have been here at least 3 years, and would have added to the recruiting base here along with Solich.

Now we are seeing the price we paid for being arrogant and unrealistic about the landscape of the sport.

Yep. Firing Solich was the biggest mistake in the history of college football. And we learned nothing from it.

What coach was that?

Thanks though.

That 7-7 season in 2002 was pretty fantastic!

Frank didn't recruit nearly well enough. Can you really say that the team Callahan took over had 1997 talent on it still? Regardless, Frank wasn't fired for his record. He was fired for his poor recruiting and his extra curricular activities.

in what alternate reality would it make sense, coming off a national championship, to blow up the program and bring in a new coach?

Or are some of you under the misimpression that Stoops or anyone else would have just retained the national championship winning staff?

Blame that on Osborne for retiring. Byrne should have been the one to replace Osborne, that was his job. It wasn't Osborne's job to hand off the head coach position to his successor like he was some sort of royal monarch handing the reigns to his heir.

• Fire 2

Osborne certainly doesn't have a stellar record when it comes to picking head coaches.

• Fire 1

Yep. Firing Solich was the biggest mistake in the history of college football. And we learned nothing from it.

If Frank is such a fantastic head coach, then why isn't he at a power 5 school? If Frank is such a fantastic head coach then why isn't he going undefeated at a MAC school? Why isn't he winning his conference every single year? Looking at his list of accomplishments, Frank is probably an average coach at best.

• Fire 1