Does anyone think we'll be better next year?

airboose

If Riley were 7-2 right now, there would be a lot of complaints that he was not a significant upgrade over Bo Pelini and should never have been hired.

Unfortunately, we will never know for sure, will we? :dunno

However one can accurately gauge the sh!t storm that comes if Riley is currently 3-6, and yes, I think a lot of people hollering and screaming at that 3-6 record wouldn't be doing so if Nebraska sat at 7-2.

So trying to equate Riley's actual 3-6 with a Riley hypothetical 7-2 and then dis the fans for their hypothetical displeasure is weak sauce indeed.

If Riley were 7-2 right now, there would be a lot of complaints that he was not a significant upgrade over Bo Pelini and should never have been hired.

Unfortunately, we will never know for sure, will we? :dunno

However one can accurately gauge the sh!t storm that comes if Riley is currently 3-6, and yes, I think a lot of people hollering and screaming at that 3-6 record wouldn't be doing so if Nebraska sat at 7-2.

So trying to equate Riley's actual 3-6 with a Riley hypothetical 7-2 and then dis the fans for their hypothetical displeasure is weak sauce indeed.

I'm not trying to equate the records. If anything, I'm trying to point out how impossible it is to equate anything. There's nothing hypothetical about whether a segment of these posters would have been disappointed with Riley sitting at 7-2 right now, as they stated their expectations prior to the season.

Speaking of which: if Bo Pelini was 7-2 prior to the Michigan State game, I'm guessing it would have been the death knell for Bo Pelini, as neither of those two losses would have been acceptable to the growing horde convinced that Bo had reached his ceiling.

I can only base my speculation on years of reading HuskerBoard.

Did this really need its own thread? Didnt you already post this garbage in the "does anyone think we'll be better next year?" Thread?

Good point. Merged.

Could you just go ahead and merge every thread on this board? They all end up the same anyways. Thanks in advance. ;-)

If Riley is 7-2 right now I am not complaining. I predicted worst case scenario was a 7-6 season. a current 7-2 record and I would be pretty hopeful Nebraska could beat Rutgers and Iowa. Pits us at 9-3 going into bowl game. I would liked our chances in a bowl to go 10-3. That is a fantastic first year.

Of course I thought with his ability to do more with less at Oregon State, and inheriting a 9-4 team, with all the resources the program has, i thought 7-6 was the worst he possibly could do with all his experience. How wrong I was.

I guess if Nebraska wins out my prediction for worst case scenario could still be true.

How could it come down to effort? You attribute nothing to 50 passes by a first time starter?

Kid threw two horrible passes. Get over the 50.

I'd love to see the angle you take if they ran 70 50 times for 1.8 a carry.

Edit: changed # of plays because they would be punting every 3 plays.

I have no idea why you even raise that hypo.

That said, at least if we are running, we are grinding out the game and letting our punter and D work a field position battle. 5 turnovers by the QB over something like 12 possessions crushed our defense in a game we could have ground out and actually gotten a W.

Why that doesn't concern more people, I have no idea.

I guess for me, it's this:

NU may win BIGGER with a "more accurate QB (POB)" but there's no excuse at all for why NU hasn't won at least 3 more games this season by simply grinding their opponents out.

The grind it out running theory that you propose works absolutely fantastic when your defense gives up 14 points a game. However it would be a struggle when you have a D that could give up a touchdown in seconds.

Think you're going to have to step me through that logic.

Seems to me that a system that limits possessions by bleeding clock is better than the 3 and out pass routine we've seen.

If you can't move The ball, then you're not bleeding any clock. 2 yards a carry, and a three and out equals about 3 1/2 minutes.

except we average 4.7 yards a carry...

YPC.-- Reilly 8.9, Moore 7.1, Jano 6.8, Oz 6.0, Newby 5.4, Cross 3.7

Statisticians like you can no doubt see clearly that Newby needed 8 more carries per game in the losses so that his average would have obviously increased by 2.22 ypc hence many more Husker victories. If Langs was smart he'd have increased it 16 carries per game yielding 8.8 ypc.

Newby rushing thru 9 games

G Att Yards Avg. TD Att/G Yards/G All Games

9 129 697 5.40 5 14.33 77.44

in Wins 3 59 390 6.61 4 19.67 130.00

in Losses 6 70 307 4.39 1 11.67 51.17

We should be better in year two. It will be the second year of the systems and we've been competitive in all these losses, so if we can get a little better, especially in crunchtime, it could go a long way in the win column. The sched is a bit tougher. We don't have two tough teams in the noncon but Oregon is certainly better than Miami or BYU. Plus we play nine conference games drawing OSU, Indiana, and Mary. OSU will be a loss. Indiana will have an O but no D. Mary will have a new coach so it's hard to say what they'll be like. On the plus side for Riley expectations will be lowered to where all he has to do is get us back over .500.