Road Woes

Red Five

We are 1-3 on the road this year. In Miami, Illinois, and Purdue we started dreadful and looked to have no energy.

The Minnesota game was the only one where we looked competent out of the gate. But we also allowed Minny to drive the length of the field and get a TD on their 1st drive. Then Newby went for 70 yards and seemed to energize everyone and we didn't look back.

Miami, Illinois, and Purdue also had less the full stadiums and very sterilized atmospheres. Minnesota had an almost full stadium (c'mom Gopher students, you can do better) and a lively atmosphere with a lot of Nebraska fans that seemed to help the team get going.

Now I'm guessing the Rutgers game atmosphere will be a lot closer to Illinois and Purdue than Minnesota. Can the team (coaches and players) find something to get them motivated right out of the gate? Or will we slog through another blah 1st half?

Rutgers has been getting flat-out spanked. We should beat them. If they get Leonte Carroo back he'll give our woeful pass defense problems but they just don't have the offensive firepower we do. We just have to take care of the ball. Turnovers killed us against Purdue and we were a dropped pick away from another heartbreaker Saturday night.

It will be interesting to see how we come out following the MSU win. Neither gangbusters nor flat would surprise me.

I feel about this game the same way I've felt about a lot of them. If Armstrong throws about 30 passes and we have one back able to assert his will, I feel confident in our chances. Caroo is a great player for Rutgers and if he plays he'll give our poor secondary fits.

If we have trouble running the ball and Armstrong throws 45 passes again... probably not a good sign.