Iowa up to #5 in the CFP rankings... can we beat Rutgers to set up a showdown?

Kernal

what is Iowa's schedule before us? Hope they keep winning. Would be awesome if Nebraska knocked them out of the playoff picture, and of course that would be a top 5 win for the Huskers!

Minnesota, Purdue, then obviously @Nebraska. I would say they have about a 90% chance of being undefeated when they roll into Memorial.

Minnesota has been playing better since Kill resigned, but it's still resulted in two losses, albeit to Michigan and OSU. They could have, and maybe should have, beaten Michigan.

what is Iowa's schedule before us? Hope they keep winning. Would be awesome if Nebraska knocked them out of the playoff picture, and of course that would be a top 5 win for the Huskers!

Minnesota, Purdue, then obviously @Nebraska. I would say they have about a 90% chance of being undefeated when they roll into Memorial.

Minnesota has been playing better since Kill resigned, but it's still resulted in two losses, albeit to Michigan and OSU. They could have, and maybe should have, beaten Michigan.

True, but I'm looking more at the matchup. Iowa's defense matches up really well against a Minnesota offense that likes to run the ball, and isn't very good at throwing. I also think Iowa will keep Minnesota's defense off balance and should put up some points.

Didn't Alabama lose to Ole Miss at home?

edit: Oh yeah, and of course the Huskers can win against Rutgers. The real question is: will the coaches allow them to win against Rutgers?

Yeah, but Alabama passes the "eye test." :D

That is my problem with this whole thing. They have the best talent in the country.

How many losses will it take for them to NOT pass the "eye test"?? 4? 5?

edit: Oh yeah, and of course the Huskers can win against Rutgers. The real question is: will the coaches allow them to win against Rutgers?

That is my problem with this whole thing. They have the best talent in the country.

Yeah, I know.

Chris Brown who writes for SmartFootball.com had a good column about the CFP rankings distinguishing between "best" and "most deserving," which I agree is where the divide is on the matter. I also tend to fall into the "most deserving" camp. I figure if you're truly among the "best" you will also be among the "most deserving."

I don't have a problem with Iowa being at #5. I think Okie State should be ranked ahead of Stanford though for sure. And Notre Dame belongs down the list as well.

If it makes you feel any better, Alabama is first in many data driven ranking systems.

Jay Foreman talkin up Iowa on Big Red Wrapup.

:rickjames

What's he say about Rutgers?

Nothing memorable. But Kevin Kugler said Rutgers back 7 are either redshirt or true freshmen and are giving up a ton of yards.

eta: I think he said he's called their games the last couple weeks, so he's done the research and watched them up close.