Iowa up to #5 in the CFP rankings... can we beat Rutgers to set up a showdown?

Kernal

How much of a showdown is it, really, if one team comes in with at least 6 losses?

It's all about pride, man. It'll be huge.

Hell yeah it'll be huge. If Nebraska wins against Rutgers, and Iowa is still undefeated, I really like this team's chances against Iowa. Coming into the game at 5-6, one win will secure a bowl bid while simultaneously spoiling Iowa's undefeated season.

Gotta take care of business with Rutgers. But if we do, the guys are gonna be jacked for top-5 Iowa.

I did say *if* we beat Rutgers. I definitely do not foresee Nebraska walking in and getting an easy W. I'm pretty thankful it's an afternoon game though.

We beat an undefeated Iowa, to spoil their chances for the playoffs with them ranked #5 or higher is huge. It doesn't matter what NU is, it matters what Iowa is. You are delusional if beating an undefeated Iowa isn't a huge victory.

I will be the first to say that

a) after the season started, getting to a bowl and 6-6 (with a chance to go 7-6) is better than anyone would have expected

b) when was the last time an unranked NU knocked off two top 10 teams

c) it would be an excellent recruiting tool

d) send the deserving seniors out with some great wins

e) still wouldn't change my opinion about some of the staff (just being honest)

Yes. NU needs to win against Rutgers. (Not a gimmee by any stretch) Then NU needs to fire off on Iowa and send them crashing.

I agree with most of this. The team is playing for pride, for the seniors, and for the extra practices that come with a bowl bid, but you're absolutely right that it matters more what Iowa is than what the Huskers are come black Friday.

With the way the season has played out, winning out the last two and defeating an undefeated Iowa will be a great, positive way for the team to move forward and will help alleviate some of the damage done by the bad losses (Illinois, Purdue).

IF Riley can pull this off, he'll finish with two top 10 wins, two tough luck losses (BYU, Miami), and two close losses to (potentially) ranked teams (at this point, not sure if the loser of their head to head match up finishes ranked). IF it shakes out that way, those terrible Illinois and Purdue losses won't loom quite so large, especially with the clear mistakes and injuries.

I really don't care about an opportunity to beat an undefeated Iowa when we play them, I want Minnesota to beat them here and now.

And deny me the opportunity to call them overrated for two weeks? You do know we don't have a game next week and we've already exhausted most of the arguable material from the Rutgers game. We need Iowa to be grossly overrated just to keep from turning on each other.

I really don't care about an opportunity to beat an undefeated Iowa when we play them, I want Minnesota to beat them here and now.

That makes no sense.

If you lived in Iowa it would....

Doubt it. That'd make me want even more for Nebraska to be the one who breaks their hearts.

nah. I just want their hearts broken. I don't care who does it. I've grown up dealing with Iowa and ISU fans giving me crap for being a husker fan, so I'm always content when they lose.

That makes no sense.

If you lived in Iowa it would....

Doubt it. That'd make me want even more for Nebraska to be the one who breaks their hearts.

nah. I just want their hearts broken. I don't care who does it. I've grown up dealing with Iowa and ISU fans giving me crap for being a husker fan, so I'm always content when they lose.

The gophers are hiding. Too many mallets to the head.