Iowa up to #5 in the CFP rankings... can we beat Rutgers to set up a showdown?

Kernal

Nebraska definitely has the talent to beat Iowa. Right now it really depends on what Nebraska team shows up. The one that just won the Michigan State game or the other that lost to Illinois and Purdue among others.

Despite the record this is the most crucial time of the season right now for the Big Red after the Michigan State game. They can capitalize and establish a new precedent with win's over Rutgers and Iowa I feel. Can this team begin to be consistent and in a good way? Hopefully we'll see more of Cross or Wilbon on offense and the defense needs to step up to the plate. The potential of not going to a bowl game is on the line here.

Now is the time.

There are two things about this season I have no doubt about. The last second heave by BYU was a once in a lifetime completion for a program - a fluke that should not have gone their way - which should have been a Husker victory. And two, with TA playing the Huskers beat Purdue (Sorry Ryker, it is the truth).

I'll add to that and say the win over the past weekend proves this team can beat Rutgers (OP). Will they? As long as it's not 11AM, I think so (95% W).

I think the win over Michigan St. should have given the team a boost of confidence. Before that game I was seriously considering the possibility of the Huskers losing the rest of their games. Now I have hope that they can not only beat Rutgers but also Iowa. GBR!

When I heard that on the radio this evening, I had a mini-hallucination flash through my head. We beat Rugrats handily and convincingly. Iowa goes undefeated. We brutalize them, much the same as we did Miami at Memorial last year. It could very well happen. Now, having said that, I think the damned SquawkEyes are a very, very good team this year. My hope is, they will believe their own hype and set themselves up to get steamrolled. I like us having the bye week, getting everyone healthy as possible, and having time to scheme.

My son and I will be there from well before kickoff until the celebration on the field ends after the game. I. Can. Not. Wait.!!!!

!!!!!! Go Big Red !!!!!!

• Fire 1

Nebraska definitely has the talent to beat Iowa. Right now it really depends on what Nebraska team shows up. The one that just won the Michigan State game or the other that lost to Illinois and Purdue among others.

Despite the record this is the most crucial time of the season right now for the Big Red after the Michigan State game. They can capitalize and establish a new precedent with win's over Rutgers and Iowa I feel. Can this team begin to be consistent and in a good way? Hopefully we'll see more of Cross or Wilbon on offense and the defense needs to step up to the plate. The potential of not going to a bowl game is on the line here.

Now is the time.

Honestly, I don't know why the defense is playing so poorly. In every game except the Illinois game, if the defense plays better we win easily. In every other game the offense scored at least 21 points. As much wailing and gnashing of teeth as there is about how we could win more if we just ran the ball more...overall, the offense is not the unit that has done poorly.

• Fire 1

Now is the time.

Honestly, I don't know why the defense is playing so poorly. In every game except the Illinois game, if the defense plays better we win easily. In every other game the offense scored at least 21 points. As much wailing and gnashing of teeth as there is about how we could win more if we just ran the ball more...overall, the offense is not the unit that has done poorly.

The defense has definitely been disappointing and a plays a major role in our current record. Again from what I see it's coaching but this defense has the opportunity with 2 games left to hopefully make up for a mostly disappointing season. The whole team can actually. While we need to see what this team is truly made of again in the end I think it has more to do with the coaches. We are deep enough into the season coming off the win against MSU that it's time to see what these coaches more than players imo are truly made of.

We need to make it to a bowl. Not going is not how I want to see Nebraska head into next season as far as momentum.

Our bye week is going to be a huge factor in this. We're limping into the end of the season on life support, with so many guys out for the rest of the year, but even more dinged up and slowed down with stuff we either do or don't know about.

Survive Rutgers. It doesn't matter if it's ugly and awful. Just survive that game, give the players two days off with a light week of practice, let them reflect on tangibly seeing how good they can be, then come into that final game with a recharged fire to end this season on a really optimistic note.

• Fire 2

Nebraska has to beat Iowa. I have the unfortunate "pleasure" of having a brother-in-law who is a Hawkeye fan. A loss would put me in a terrible mood over Thanksgiving dinner that we're having Friday evening.

I grew up in Lincoln but now live in Omaha. Iowa and Iowa fans have been invisible to me my whole life. I'd dislike them, I guess, if I even noticed them.

If the Huskers come out strong and put Rutgers away early, I'll like our chances against Iowa. We gotta keep the momentum going though.

I grew up in Des Moines as a Husker fan. Trust me, Iowa fans are annoying and ISU fans are all around terrible people.

Didn't Alabama lose to Ole Miss at home?

edit: Oh yeah, and of course the Huskers can win against Rutgers. The real question is: will the coaches allow them to win against Rutgers?

It's sad that some people actually believe crap like this.

It's also very sad that some people have not been watching the games very closely. I am not going to go into all of the bad decision making that has cost us SEVERAL games this year. This fact is not even up for debate. With that being said, I'll take a close win to Rutgers!

• Fire 1

Didn't Alabama lose to Ole Miss at home?

edit: Oh yeah, and of course the Huskers can win against Rutgers. The real question is: will the coaches allow them to win against Rutgers?

Yeah, but Alabama passes the "eye test." :D

That is my problem with this whole thing. They have the best talent in the country.

How many losses will it take for them to NOT pass the "eye test"?? 4? 5?

Yeah, I know.

Chris Brown who writes for SmartFootball.com had a good column about the CFP rankings distinguishing between "best" and "most deserving," which I agree is where the divide is on the matter. I also tend to fall into the "most deserving" camp. I figure if you're truly among the "best" you will also be among the "most deserving."

I don't have a problem with Iowa being at #5. I think Okie State should be ranked ahead of Stanford though for sure. And Notre Dame belongs down the list as well.

watching all of this from Tulsa - OU plays Baylor, OSU plays Iowa State and then Baylor and finally bedlam against OU. So OSU has the clear opportunity to play in the playoff - just win out against one poor team and 2 very good teams. OSU should have been in the NC game a few years ago when they lost in OT against ISU via a missed field goal - the day the women's basketball coach and others were killed in a plane crash. They went on to beat the Andrew Luck led Stanford team in the Fiesta Bowl, If I recall, Alabama got in the game instead.