Northwestern Students Rally to Improve Black Student Experience

Mavric

I just looked back at the Missouri list of demands and one of them was for them to have a plan to "increase retention rates for marginalized students." I'm assuming by marginalized they mean poor or minority. I don't know anything about Missouri but I think Nebraska already does this. The problem is it still has to be up to the students to go in to get the assistance that's provided. If they make any of this required then they'll be accused of racism by only making the "marginalized" students do it. If they make something required for every body then it wouldn't meet the demand because it wouldn't focus on the marginalized students.

Anyhow, I haven't seen anything about them complaining that bad grades = discrimination. But there are a lot more non-white students who are the first generation college students so there's nothing wrong with them asking for there to be something in place to help increase retention rates. Those students are at a disadvantage.

I dont get it. What do they not get that other races get???

Here's one very easy and specific example. Multiple studies have been done to show that when looking at job applications with the exact same resume and experience, employers are much more likely to hire someone with a white anglo-saxon sounding name compared to someone with a black sounding name.

Look into socioeconomic status, and how important it is in a child's development. Low SES kids start off with less knowledge when they begin kindergarten because their parents are less likely to have graduated high school or college. I saw a study once that showed low SES children at the age of 2 know far less words than children of middle class parents.

To see how this relates to the question:

spring2007_2_clip_image002.gif

Another important thing is how our schools are funded. A large part of it is based on income in the area. So the $ spent on educating poor kids is a lot less than the $ spent on educating middle class and wealthy kids. And again, looking at the chart shows how it relates to some races not getting what "other races get."

This is a vicious cycle because, since the kids start off on the wrong foot, and then they go to schools with a lot less funding, they themselves are less likely to graduate high school or go to college.

Look into socioeconomic status, and how important it is in a child's development. Low SES kids start off with less knowledge when they begin kindergarten because their parents are less likely to have graduated high school or college. I saw a study once that showed low SES children at the age of 2 know far less words than children of middle class parents.

Another important thing is how our schools are funded. A large part of it is based on income in the area. So the $ spent on educating poor kids is a lot less than the $ spent on educating middle class and wealthy kids. And again, looking at the chart shows how it relates to some races not getting what "other races get."

This is a vicious cycle because, since the kids start off on the wrong foot, and then they go to schools with a lot less funding, they themselves are less likely to graduate high school or go to college.

#redpeopleproblems

Adam Rittenberg ‏@ESPNRittenberg 57m57 minutes ago
The protesters initially gathered behind a curtain and chanted. then they stormed in as athletic director Jim Phillips was speaking.
Adam Rittenberg ‏@ESPNRittenberg 53m53 minutes ago
Protesters now leaving while chanting "You can't stop the revolution!"
Adam Rittenberg ‏@ESPNRittenberg 50m50 minutes ago
Northwestern president Morton Schapiro says despite the interruption students were brave for speaking out like they did.
Adam Rittenberg ‏@ESPNRittenberg 32m32 minutes ago
Just to be clear, protestors at Northwestern athletics event had come from a larger rally on campus. Wasn't organized for this event alone.

wow. what a bunch of silliness. everyone's gotta be special i guess.

Here's one very easy and specific example. Multiple studies have been done to show that when looking at job applications with the exact same resume and experience, employers are much more likely to hire someone with a white anglo-saxon sounding name compared to someone with a black sounding name.

I can see that. In the 3rd qtr in 2014 and 2015 on the bureau of labor statistics. African-Americans are the most unemployed demographic by almost double the white population (16 and older)

While white unemployment is lower in every age group. It's the numbers associated with african american teens and college aged students that skew the numbers. After the age of 24, african americans unemployment drops significantly to a more equal number. In my mind it's not worth bickering over if the numbers are within 2-3%

• Fire 1

Im not talking about outside of college. Im talking about in college. What are they not receiving that others are? Alot of colleges have standards, especially private ones. If you dont have the grades to get in then thats the way it is. The problem is at the elementary/high school level.

Im not talking about outside of college. Im talking about in college. What are they not receiving that others are? Alot of colleges have standards, especially private ones. If you dont have the grades to get in then thats the way it is. The problem is at the elementary/high school level.

Maybe so, but, kids need to learn from parents how to be disciplined to study outside of school hours. Teachers are only responsible to an extent. It's not the teachers fault when students decide to waste their time at home when it could be spent studying when they need it.

Cooperating effort given by all parties involved is what makes it work. You can't have 2 out of 3 pieces and get it to work majority of the time.

• Fire 1

I don't know. I don't know whether they are often discriminated against or not, by the universities or by the people they go to college with. What I do know is that there are going to be people who imagine it or lie about it. On the other end of the spectrum, it annoys the crap out of me when people just assume that's what's happening and write everything off by saying "they're treated just as good as we are!" That isn't something we actually know.

IMO many of the demands that are being made are for extra help (ex. the increased retention stuff) which I'm okay with because of what I posted about how a large % of minority populations start their lives off.

Maybe so, but, kids need to learn from parents how to be disciplined to study outside of school hours. Teachers are only responsible to an extent. It's not the teachers fault when students decide to waste their time at home when it could be spent studying when they need it.

Cooperating effort given by all parties involved is what makes it work. You can't have 2 out of 3 pieces and get it to work majority of the time.

Unfortunately the people in their homes are more likely to be uneducated than their non minority counterparts. Uneducated parents are more likely to use yelling than logic to get their points across. There are also a lot more distractions when you're in poverty, such as not always having enough food. Another issue is if everyone in your neighborhood is poor and they didn't go to college and their parents were poor and their grandparents were poor and their great grandparents were poor, who are they going to look up to and see "oh, they did it. I can do it too." It was assumed from the time I was born I would go to college and it would be no issue, because that's what my parents did. I think this is much more about helping low SES kids than just focusing on minorities. It's just that minorities have bigger populations of low SES kids.

None of this is easy to fix and I agree, teachers are blamed for way too many of the problems that exist in education. I just wish people wouldn't write these issues off (the ones that more often affect minorities) like they're nothing and keep continue to say everyone has an equal chance. Statistically, it's very rare to move to a higher SES than the one you're born into.

I don't know. I don't know whether they are often discriminated against or not, by the universities or by the people they go to college with. What I do know is that there are going to be people who imagine it or lie about it. On the other end of the spectrum, it annoys the crap out of me when people just assume that's what's happening and write everything off by saying "they're treated just as good as we are!" That isn't something we actually know.

IMO many of the demands that are being made are for extra help (ex. the increased retention stuff) which I'm okay with because of what I posted about how a large % of minority populations start their lives off.

So, are they demanding lowering the standards for everyone? Let's say I am a white student from a home with pathetic parents. Do I get special treatment?

Everyone needs to make dang sure discrimination does not exist in admissions and once in school.

But, you have a private school that some want to force to have lower standards for black kids?

So, are they demanding lowering the standards for everyone? Let's say I am a white student from a home with pathetic parents. Do I get special treatment?

Everyone needs to make dang sure discrimination does not exist in admissions and once in school.

But, you have a private school that some want to force to have lower standards for black kids?

I don't think making attempts to improve attrition for groups that have bad attrition is lowering standards for the groups that have good attrition. Same goes for some of the other things they want changed. One I'm not sure of (from Missouri) is increasing the % of black professors to 10. If blacks consist of 12% of the population and have a poor graduation rate, I'm not sure where that 10% of the faculty is going to come from. Imagine if they wanted that everywhere. If they did manage to get 10% of the faculty to be African American, chances are they wouldn't all be well qualified.