Muslim Extremists

I found this article interesting.

LINK

This article makes it sound like these people (ISIS) are very similar to how kids in inner city become members of gangs. They have a lot of questions about life and the wrong people are giving them the answers.

I also found interesting how they explain how the structure of Islam is a major issue that contributes to the problem. NO, neither me nor the article is saying all Muslims are the problem or even that Islam is the problem.

However, the fact that it is not a centralized religion, makes it easy to be manipulated and used in evil ways like ISIS is using it.

The world has a major problem here (I know, understatement of the year and everyone already knew that.

• Fire 1

This article makes it sound like these people (ISIS) are very similar to how kids in inner city become members of gangs. They have a lot of questions about life and the wrong people are giving them the answers.

That's a good way to put it. There is so much sectarian violence there, and so little stability. These guys are nuts and they're evil, but they're also a product of circumstance. It's self-feeding.

Religious differences and sectarianism have fueled plenty of violence in other parts of the world before. The "solutions" have often been completely brutal.

A major part mentioned is the fact they have lived under horrible dictators and that instills a certain level of desperation.

So, the works has a problem to figure out.

Do you leave evil dictators alone because they can control these types of people, or do you still try to rid the world of dictators but have to figure out how to deal with this problem?

It's a little like the abused child grows up to be a worse abuser because that's all he has known.

I read a pretty interesting article the other day about an interview with a man who joined ISIS but later turned spy against them.

LINK

One of the more interesting tidbits I read was the following quote, where he talks about what happened after immediately joining.

The next stage was indoctrination: “I went to Sharia court for two weeks. You have to go take classes. They teach you how to hate people.” Abu Khaled laughed. He was taught the ISIS version of Islam—that non-Muslims have to be killed because they are the enemy of the Islamic community. “It’s brainwashing,” he said.

The clerics responsible for this indoctrination were know-nothing striplings from foreign countries. “There was one guy I remember from Libya, maybe he was in his mid-twenties.” What kind of Islamic authority could someone so young have, Abu Khaled wondered. And where were all the Syrians?

He claims to have also warned authorities about the people involved in the Paris attacks.

• Fire 1

At this point, until I see strong real proof that the so called vast majority of Muslims are good folks just like the rest of the civilized portion of the planet, I will not simply agree that Islam is not a major part of the problem. When there are over a billion Muslims in the world and the polls have shown as many as 20% thereof are 'radicalized' and strong supporters of terror and terrorist orgs, I believe Islam is a part of the problem for sure. Where are the 900 million outraged Muslims to speak out and help to put an end to the violence and terrorism? 900 million voices would be quite a loud chorus but somehow there is a deafening silence!

In my view, the Muslim populous is going to have to start solving the problem by taking out the radicals or the rest of the world should consider them all to be supporters and co-conspirators. In such case, there are no 'innocent bystanders' and we no longer need to worry much about collateral damage. Wars are won when the pain and suffering inflicted on one's enemy becomes unbearable. We have spent way too much effort and risked to many of our own lives trying to protect the general populations. But the enemy has been hiding behind the human shields. Are they shields or not?

• Fire 2

At this point, until I see strong real proof that the so called vast majority of Muslims are good folks just like the rest of the civilized portion of the planet, I will not simply agree that Islam is not a major part of the problem. When there are over a billion Muslims in the world and the polls have shown as many as 20% thereof are 'radicalized' and strong supporters of terror and terrorist orgs, I believe Islam is a part of the problem for sure. Where are the 900 million outraged Muslims to speak out and help to put an end to the violence and terrorism? 900 million voices would be quite a loud chorus but somehow there is a deafening silence!

In my view, the Muslim populous is going to have to start solving the problem by taking out the radicals or the rest of the world should consider them all to be supporters and co-conspirators. In such case, there are no 'innocent bystanders' and we no longer need to worry much about collateral damage. Wars are won when the pain and suffering inflicted on one's enemy becomes unbearable. We have spent way too much effort and risked to many of our own lives trying to protect the general populations. But the enemy has been hiding behind the human shields. Are they shields or not?

Well that's really, really f'd up.

Do you go to church ever? If so, if you even go once a year on Christmas or Easter because your mom makes you, then people in other parts of the world consider you a Christian. Do you make sure to always publicly condemn the KKK and Westboro Baptist and explain that you don't believe in the same Christianity that Joseph Kony claims or side with the Christian militia groups in central Africa, or the Christian terrorist groups in India who hope to force every citizen to convert to Christianity?

I sure hope so, otherwise you might find yourself on the wrong end of a bullet in the hands of someone who took your own ideology and decided that because you're an American, you're likely a Christian, and you must be just like those other evil ones.

• Fire 7

I don't hear it personally, but it's how it is being reported:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt9bMYcmUFg

There's a good Deadspin article covering this http://screamer.deadspin.com/why-did-turkish-soccer-fans-boo-during-a-moment-of-sile-1743341724

The disruption of the moment of silence has been roundly criticized, and there's also this:

The more important clarification the article makes is that the chants of “Martyrs never die, the country will never be divided” and the reported cries of “Allahu Akbar” were in no way meant to show support to the perpetrators of the Paris attacks. According to the writer, the former slogan is actually a common anti-terrorism chant expressing a sentiment that no matter what kind of attacks Turkey faces, it will remain as one. It too was chanted during the moment of silence after the Ankara bombings.

• Fire 1

First of all show me these polls. Second use google to find those speaking out. I posted an article in the Paris thread that had Iran, Egypt, I believe the Saudies, and many other Islamic states/organizations condeming the attacks in the first 24 to 48 hours afterwards. You have to be under a rock not to habe heard bout all the Muslims condeming these attacks...
  • Fire 1

Some of what you posted here are perfect examples of the bigotry, stereotyping and hate that has led to problems for centuries, blanketing a majority of people as a problem based on the actions of a minority.

Did you ever stop to think for a second that maybe the reason hundreds of millions of people aren't speaking out is because they're frightened? They're living right in the thick of random explosions, mass killings and vitriol hate. How outspoken would you be if you felt at any minute you, or your family, could become a target, could become the next victim?

And a lot of people are speaking out - you're just not listening because you choose not to.

Take my advice - never voice this opinion of yours in public.

• Fire 3

Not to mention, 84HuskerLaw's response is EXACTLY what ISIL wants, and it's what keeps fueling this divide. We make it infinitely easier for them to recruit young Muslims by convincing them that the rest of the world hates them and wants them dead, perpetuating the cycle.

• Fire 3