Accountability and Consequences

C N Red

Iowa's best player was suspended for the 1st quarter against us. Why?? For missing a team meeting.

This is how you have to control a team. You have to set expectations on everything. If kids don't meet them they have consequences for their actions. It brings a team closer together. They eventually start holding each other accountable which is how it needs to be. The coach has to set the example, show the consequences, and demand accountability. This will eventually leak into the team and the players will start to take responsibility. Then you have yourself a team.

Riley had a chance to set this in motion early on with Alex Lewis. Sit him down for his actions, hold him accountable, and show the team that no one is above accountability and actions will have consequences. This is what can promote true leadership.

Things like this is what makes a team like Iowa better than us right now.

Edit:

I'm not just talking about behavioral issues. I'm talking about play too.

• Fire 6

Mark Richt will fix that when he's named co-Head Coach. Don't worry.

+1.

While that works in some situations and I agree discipline is needed. I'm going to play Devils advocate.

Let's look at the SEC, players run afoul constantly, and little is done. And it's possible this kid has had issues before. IIRC he's a redshirt freshman and leads the big 10 and almost the nation in INT'S. Kid probably is arrogant and feels he is above the team

You know, I remember reading there was some discussion among the coaching staff about Lewis. I thought he deserved more than he got, but I also think he redeemed himself in the end.

If there's going to be some insinuation made that Riley isn't enough of a disciplinarian, though...I guess my response would be you haven't paid attention to the players, sometimes key ones at key moments, who have at various times this year been suspended for a violation of team rules.

Didn't Riley suspend a few starters this year? I believe he did.

You must be thinking of another Mike Riley, because Iowa is better than us.

You must be right. I could have swore Riley suspended starters FOR AN ENTIRE GAME. Not just a quarter. Maybe i was mistaken

Don't beat yourself up. It's an easy mistake to make. You'd think Mike Riley would suspend players for violations of team rules, but Iowa's better than us, and he never has.

You must be right. I could have swore Riley suspended starters FOR AN ENTIRE GAME. Not just a quarter. Maybe i was mistaken

Don't beat yourself up. It's an easy mistake to make. You'd think Mike Riley would suspend players for violations of team rules, but Iowa's better than us, and he never has.

This is what we get when we hire an old, Mr. Rogers type coach, I guess. Bo would have handled things differently, no doubt.

• Fire 1

This is what we get when we hire an old, Mr. Rogers type coach, I guess. Bo would have handled things differently, no doubt.

I'd bet all the marbles in my pocket that Kirk Ferentz has never been accused of being a Nice Guy.

Iowa's best player was suspended for the 1st quarter against us. Why?? For missing a team meeting.

This is how you have to control a team. You have to set expectations on everything. If kids don't meet them they have consequences for their actions. It brings a team closer together. They eventually start holding each other accountable which is how it needs to be. The coach has to set the example, show the consequences, and demand accountability. This will eventually leak into the team and the players will start to take responsibility. Then you have yourself a team.

Riley had a chance to set this in motion early on with Alex Lewis. Sit him down for his actions, hold him accountable, and show the team that no one is above accountability and actions will have consequences. This is what can promote true leadership.

Things like this is what makes a team like Iowa better than us.

Many things to question Riley on. Disciplinary action isn't one of them.

• Fire 1

So you think coaches are holding our players accountable and responsible enough for play on the field too?

So you think coaches are holding our players accountable and responsible enough for play on the field too?

We're not talking about on the field