Epley's comments on Talent

Warrior10

It's also true that the Nebraska athletic department oversees 22 different varsity teams, including the Women's Volleyball dynasty, a frequently ranked Women's Basketball team, a nationally prominent Men's Baseball team, and a marginally more respected Men's Basketball Team among other successes. So let's not pretend Shawn Eichorst is an idiot or a disaster at a job that requires more than hiring a football coach. Or firing a football coach. Although firing Bo Pelini was a no-brainer and handled with more respect than Bo actually deserved.

This is easily overlooked by the folks who only follow football. Steve Pederson botched the Solich/Callahan situation, but other than that, he was a pretty good AD. I think every other program - the ones I follow closely, anyway - liked him.

It's just that football being the cash cow, any mistake with that program is going to be hugely magnified.

I guess you don't follow Pitt.

Pitt the first time or the last time?

It's also true that the Nebraska athletic department oversees 22 different varsity teams, including the Women's Volleyball dynasty, a frequently ranked Women's Basketball team, a nationally prominent Men's Baseball team, and a marginally more respected Men's Basketball Team among other successes. So let's not pretend Shawn Eichorst is an idiot or a disaster at a job that requires more than hiring a football coach. Or firing a football coach. Although firing Bo Pelini was a no-brainer and handled with more respect than Bo actually deserved.

This is easily overlooked by the folks who only follow football. Steve Pederson botched the Solich/Callahan situation, but other than that, he was a pretty good AD. I think every other program - the ones I follow closely, anyway - liked him.

It's just that football being the cash cow, any mistake with that program is going to be hugely magnified.

Don't kid yourself. They mostly hated him the first time, too. 2nd time was just icing on the cake.

Don't kid yourself. They mostly hated him the first time, too. 2nd time was just icing on the cake.

I think you are kidding yourself.

• Fire 3

You think wrong.

http://pittsburgh.sportswar.com/article/2014/12/22/debunking-the-myths-of-steve-pederson/

You think wrong.

http://pittsburgh.sportswar.com/article/2014/12/22/debunking-the-myths-of-steve-pederson/

Oh I see. One guy on a message board writes an op-ed piece and you refer to them as "they." A guy is butthurt that they have to play football games at Heinz Field and he changed the letters on the helmet.

Let's skip past the 6 coaching hires he made while there the first time earning Big East coach of the year awards. And the abundance of fundraising and facilities upgrades he managed and that pesky "outstanding administrative achievement" award he earned.

Oh and he got Pitt into the ACC because he upgraded the facilities.

And he sucked so bad at the AD job there that he was re-hired a few years later.

But "they" hated him..

• Fire 2

You think wrong.

Oh I see. One guy on a message board writes an op-ed piece and you refer to them as "they." A guy is butthurt that they have to play football games at Heinz Field and he changed the letters on the helmet.

Let's skip past the 6 coaching hires he made while there the first time earning Big East coach of the year awards. And the abundance of fundraising and facilities upgrades he managed and that pesky "outstanding administrative achievement" award he earned.

And he sucked so bad at the AD job there that he was re-hired a few years later.

But "they" hated him..

Hey, you're entitlted to be a Steve Pederson fan, but that doesn't mean the Pitt fans were. Enough derailment. Google it for yourself.

You think wrong.

But "they" hated him..

Hey, you're entitlted to be a Steve Pederson fan, but that doesn't mean the Pitt fans were. Enough derailment. Google it for yourself.

I'm not. And I did.

I think a lot of fans would probably trade lesser success in other major Husker sports if it meant greater success in the football program. Another National Championship for Nebraska football would dwarf almost everything else.

knapplc brings up a good point. You can be a great AD for other Husker sports; however, the AD will ultimately be judged on how their direct influence impacts the football program. It's kind of like building and designing a house. You can have great space, plenty of bedrooms and bathrooms, but if your foundation is weak and cracking then you won't get very far.

• Fire 1

I think a lot of fans would probably trade lesser success in other major Husker sports if it meant greater success in the football program. Another National Championship for Nebraska football would dwarf almost everything else.

knapplc brings up a good point. You can be a great AD for other Husker sports; however, the AD will ultimately be judged on how their direct influence impacts the football program. It's kind of like building and designing a house. You can have great space, plenty of bedrooms and bathrooms, but if your foundation is weak and cracking then you won't get very far.

still, love to see the girls have success!

• Fire 1

It'd be interesting to see a comparison of our metrics to other programs. Until then all we can say is that we "think" we have the players to bring home titles.

Good point! I'm sure BE originally did this when he was developing and calirating the scoring. I wonder if any of the three measurements are available for other athletes at other programs? The NFL combine scores are pretty public...

It'd be interesting to see a comparison of our metrics to other programs. Until then all we can say is that we "think" we have the players to bring home titles.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but Nebraska had the talent to win titles in a couple seasons under Bo. The Huskers were right in the thick of those title games, excluding the Wisconsin year, and showed they belonged in the game. And really, particularly in the '09 game, if another play or two had gone Nebraska's way then they likely win that title.

And so, from the "NFL" caliber measuring BE used, you could argue this team is at least close to previous teams that competed for titles based on the number of draft picks. With the exception of the 2011 draft class, about three players were drafted from each of Bo's teams. BE said we have about three NFL caliber players, so the numbers match up.

The things I will say to counter this argument are that 1) the draft picks obviously aren't the only way of judging the talent on a team and 2) perhaps the rest of the talent is not on the same level as it was a couple of years ago. (Also, I know you were talking about comparing it to other programs and not past Husker teams)

I wonder if any of the journalists thought to ask Boyd to clarify his statements.

Purely out of curiosity, which ones are you interested in seeing clarified?

Maybe clarify is the wrong word. Expand, maybe?

But this one maybe stands out. Because it's a little ambiguous:

“If we could stop the world and let Mark go develop these guys for a year and a half, I think we would be right back where we need to be,”