Epley's comments on Talent

Warrior10

Just ask yourself, why would an AD who recently hired a coach who is in danger of having the worst season in 58 years go out of his way to get major state newspapers to publish an in-depth article about how poor the talent level is on the football team?

It's quite obvious to anyone with their eyes open.

I think it's obvious that anyone who has an axe to grind against the AD and coaching staff will read anything they can into it to make them look bad.

Thus it was a pretty poor choice to call up the newspapers and ask them to come do a story on it. Unless that was what you wanted to happen all along.

• Fire 2

People used to love this in the 90s when the testing results would come out. It served as motivation for young players and showed improvement made for everyone. Now we think it might "hurt some feelings."

When are we going to stop worrying about hurting feelings? You can't improve until your feelings are hurt and you decide that you aren't going to let that happen again. This country is full of people that aren't willing to hurt a little to get a lot.

It is sad, really.

• Fire 3

Just ask yourself, why would an AD who recently hired a coach who is in danger of having the worst season in 58 years go out of his way to get major state newspapers to publish an in-depth article about how poor the talent level is on the football team?

I think it's obvious that anyone who has an axe to grind against the AD and coaching staff will read anything they can into it to make them look bad.

Thus it was a pretty poor choice to call up the newspapers and ask them to come do a story on it. Unless that was what you wanted to happen all along.

If that is how you want to look at it, fine. I read it differently because I don't hold the same opinions as some. I read the story and thought the same way BRB does in his comments a few posts ago.

It doesn't have to always be more to it like some people on here think.

If that is how you want to look at it, fine. I read it differently because I don't hold the same opinions as some. I read the story and thought the same way BRB does in his comments a few posts ago.

Even other media guys and apparently those in the locker room were questioning the motives. So perhaps it's the people who don't want to believe a certain story line who are in the minority.

• Fire 2

Why would an AD get major state newspapers to publish an in-depth article about the talent level on the football team?

Totally different question without the spin.

Maybe the answer is to give the public an honest assessment of where the team is at and what they are doing to get back on track.

• Fire 1

Even other media guys and apparently those in the locker room were questioning the motives. So perhaps it's the people who don't want to believe a certain story line who are in the minority.

Be specific of "those in the locker room." Name them.

I haven't read all 7 pages of posts, so excuse me if I am repeating someone's sentiment....

I listen to 1620 podcasts pretty frequently, and there is one point of clarification about Epley's comments that I think is getting misconstrued, at least by some media members. The whole "we need a year and a half to get up to standards" comment, I think, has been blown out of proportion, and misunderstood.

Here's the quote:

Epley said football strength coach Mark Philipp has already made progress with players. Epley would like to see players improve by 200 points per year....

....“If we could stop the world and let Mark go develop these guys for a year and a half, I think we would be right back where we need to be,” Epley said. “That’s about how far off we are. About a year and a half of development. ...

Boyd is just referencing the fact that the S&C program has a goal of improving player's scores by about 200 points each year. Instead of waiting 3 years to improve scores by around 600 points, he is saying "wouldn't it be nice" if they could do that improvement in a shorter time. You have to reference the earlier quote in the article to get that point. Instead, many have taken him out of context.

The other point I think they get wrong, is what he is referencing by "getting back to where we need to be". IMO he is referencing the Huskers under TO. Not some kind of minimum standard for the conference. To Boyd, IMO, a Nebraska that dominates the conference consistently is "back to where we need to be". No one would argue that we are there right now.

• Fire 2

Be specific of "those in the locker room." Name them.

That's why I said "apparently." I don't have any names. The article I read didn't have any names - which should be pretty obvious as to why. But it was mentioned that it caused a stir in the locker room.

• Fire 1

Not sure why you are alarmed about it.

Because it's a false narrative that also happens to be demoralizing and demotivating for the players. And because it's straight out of Steve Pederson's playbook. Including the shills here paid to defend it.

• Fire 2

I find it absolutely hilarious that some people are just aghast that the athletic department would think of planning news releases or certain statements out for PR.

Every single athletic department does that in the world.

It's even funnier that some people also don't think that happened during previous coaching staffs.

I think a noticeable distinction could be made between doing PR pieces to highlight the good things in the program compared to highlight where your program is lacking.

If this happens at every single athletic department, could you point us to a couple others who put out a PR piece that says "we don't have good enough players"?

I don't follow other ADs.

But, I don't have a problem with an AD putting out where we need to improve after a bad season. Not sure why others do.

So you don't follow any other ADs but you know others do it.

I really doubt you could find any other example of this anywhere else. You might not have a problem with it. But that doesn't mean it's not really strange.

• Fire 1

Because it's a false narrative that also happens to be demoralizing and demotivating for the players. And because it's straight out of Steve Pederson's playbook. Including the shills here paid to defend it.

No one gets paid here

No one gets paid here

Don't be naiive.

• Fire 1

No one gets paid here

Don't be naiive.

Will the shills please identify themselves (so I can find out how to get paid to waste time on HB)?

No one gets paid here

Don't be naiive.

Will the shills please identify themselves (so I can find out how to get paid to waste time on HB)?

HAHA. I guess if they're tired of the gig they might reveal themselves. But that's highly doubtful.

Every AD in the world would like to have his own reporter on staff of all the local newspapers if he could do it. You think they wouldn't put their own people on free message boards when there's nothing to stop them? I don't know of anyone doing it as a full-time job, but I do know of people that do it as part of their work duties.

• Fire 1

I really don't care if I'm in the minority. Is it always right to just always have the same attitude as everyone else?