Epley's comments on Talent

Warrior10

I find it absolutely hilarious that some people are just aghast that the athletic department would think of planning news releases or certain statements out for PR.

Every single athletic department does that in the world.

It's even funnier that some people also don't think that happened during previous coaching staffs.

Sam McKewon said on this weeks Pick Six podcast that the Athletic Department has never done anything so prepared as this.

I find it absolutely hilarious that some people are just aghast that the athletic department would think of planning news releases or certain statements out for PR.

It's even funnier that some people also don't think that happened during previous coaching staffs.

I just don't get why it has to be some sort of nefarious act on the part of some boogeyman named "Pedeyhorst", whoever that is.... :)

I think it's awesome this stuff was made public again.

I agree that testing results should be public. But the timing and the commentary that went along with it ("These players suck and that's why we had a losing season") is counter productive and demotivating for the team. Pederson did the same thing publicy in '04. How did that work out?

I missed the part in the articles where this was said. Guess I should've put on the reading glasses.

Don't you know that by NOT saying those things, they actually said them without saying them?

:sarcasm

" but in football we need to do a better job of bringing in talented recruits so we don't have to do quite so much development or quite so much coaching."

That does not mean the players we have suck.

Sam McKewon said on this weeks Pick Six podcast that the Athletic Department has never done anything so prepared as this.

I trust Sam, but did he provide any context to support that statement?

I just don't get why it has to be some sort of nefarious act on the part of some boogeyman named "Pedeyhorst", whoever that is.... :)

I agree that testing results should be public. But the timing and the commentary that went along with it ("These players suck and that's why we had a losing season") is counter productive and demotivating for the team. Pederson did the same thing publicy in '04. How did that work out?

I missed the part in the articles where this was said. Guess I should've put on the reading glasses.

Don't you know that by NOT saying those things, they actually said them without saying them?

" but in football we need to do a better job of bringing in talented recruits so we don't have to do quite so much development or quite so much coaching."

That does not mean the players we have suck.

Exactly, it just means we need to do a better job recruiting, something most of us already know.

I'd have to re-listen (I was on a 5k run), so I don't remember his exact words. But basically, he was saying that it was surprising that they did it, and the way they did calling up the local media guys and giving them a tour and stuff. If you have time, give it a listen, because it was a pretty good episode.

I like Sam, because he pulls no punches. Earlier in the season (after the Illinois loss I believe), he took Bo and Co to task earlier in the season for some of the mentality issues, and recruiting. This week, he basically said Riley coached Nebraska to a 5-7 "Oregon State" season, and he's going to have to change things. He said we shouldn't be in close games like we are, and it's partially due to his coaching philosophy. He said the assumption that people made with Riley being able to coach the same and have better results simply because of better players/facilities/support/etc is wrong.

Yep

Propaganda, at the expense of the current players. Pederson 2.0

• Fire 1

I'd have to re-listen (I was on a 5k run), so I don't remember his exact words. But basically, he was saying that it was surprising that they did it, and the way they did calling up the local media guys and giving them a tour and stuff. If you have time, give it a listen, because it was a pretty good episode.

I like Sam, because he pulls no punches. Earlier in the season (after the Illinois loss I believe), he took Bo and Co to task earlier in the season for some of the mentality issues, and recruiting. This week, he basically said Riley coached Nebraska to a 5-7 "Oregon State" season, and he's going to have to change things. He said we shouldn't be in close games like we are, and it's partially due to his coaching philosophy. He said the assumption that people made with Riley being able to coach the same and have better results simply because of better players/facilities/support/etc is wrong.

He said he agreed with most of what Epley said. I don't know why it is a perceived sin that the Athletic dept is putting information they deem important and of interest to the fans.

He said he agreed with most of what Epley said.

Yeah, he did. He basically said the 5-7 was a mix of players, and Riley's coaching style. He said that we have to get better at recruiting, and out of the above average group. He also said that in doing what they are (current recruiting philosophy), we're getting too many losses on guys still. They gotta start hitting on some of these guys, or we're gonna end up with a bunch of plan B or C guys, and that's not gonna get it done.

I don't know why it is a perceived sin that the Athletic dept is putting information they deem important and of interest to the fans.

It's not what they did. It's how they did it that people have issues with.

He said he agreed with most of what Epley said.

Yeah, he did. He basically said the 5-7 was a mix of players, and Riley's coaching style. He said that we have to get better at recruiting, and out of the above average group. He also said that in doing what they are (current recruiting philosophy), we're getting too many losses on guys still. They gotta start hitting on some of these guys, or we're gonna end up with a bunch of plan B or C guys, and that's not gonna get it done.

I don't know why it is a perceived sin that the Athletic dept is putting information they deem important and of interest to the fans.

It's not what they did. It's how they did it that people have issues with.

I think most people don't have any issues with how this is done. I know I don't. The athletic department want's to put out some PR, who are we to say no?

I don't see any ulterior motives here. I just see Boyd Epley doing his job and the AD going back to something they used to do anyway. Why does it need to be more complicated than that?

• Fire 1

Yep, you're right..he totally spoke about existing players in that sentence and not future recruits. :sarcasm Thanks for proving the point btw.

The comment is about the present and the future. The current players know that.

The current players are the result of a recruiting scheme that's not working which is why "we need to do a better job of bringing in talented recruits"

The current players are the ones needing too much development and coaching because of the current recruiting scheme not working which is why he said "so we don't have to do quite so much development or quite so much coaching."

Think TA's comments about wanting to be coached as if he was a freshman. After 4 years he still has not progressed past freshman level development. That's the very definition of needing too much development and coaching.

The current players all fully understand what the comment means.

I think a noticeable distinction could be made between doing PR pieces to highlight the good things in the program compared to highlight where your program is lacking.

If this happens at every single athletic department, could you point us to a couple others who put out a PR piece that says "we don't have good enough players"?

• Fire 1