Epley's comments on Talent

Warrior10

I don't really disagree with the overall point that we need better athletes. This is a given. But what gets me, is that 1 year ago Eichhorst said we have the talent to win a championship now. He said a major reason we fired Bo was he didn't think he could guide us to a championship. Yet, here we are a year later, and they invite all the media out and put on a nice PR event. Whether or not it was their intent, it comes across as covering their backsides for a bad year.

Yep

But even worse, they threw the players under the bus in order to "cover their backsides".

And even worse than that... and the part I cant even hardly think about... is they appear to have used Boyds reputation and standing... the one guy who really does have a great reputation in the program... in their attempt to "cover their backsides". I really feel bad for Boyd.

If this had only been about performance testing and making those numbers public again then it wouldn't have been a problem. Virtually everyone agrees that's a good thing.

But when they injected the other needless and inflammatory stuff about needing to recruit "more talented" players and the stuff about the current players needing too much developing and coaching... in order to "cover their backsides for a bad year"... that's when the public relations scheme crashed in a ball of flames.

Anytime you and your ilk don't like the message, you call the messenger a liar. Its BS and its getting old.

You do realize that the "messenger" said this a year ago...

"At the end of the day, I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships."

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/11/30/7310255/nebraska-huskers-football-bo-pelini-shawn-eichorst-press-conference

So... what were you saying about lying again?

So he realized he was wrong, big f'ing deal. That does not make him a liar. I have no doubt the Pelini fortress was hard to see inside. Think you can find that mountain after tripping over the mole hole?

So you're changing the rules again?

Eichorst says after firing Pelini that he thinks we have the players to win championships. Then Boyd comes in and puts actual measurements to that thought and shows we don't.

It doesn't make a guy a liar.

Does it make him an uninformed doofus that says things before he has the correct information?

I certainly can't argue with you on that.

But I will say I didn't see him saying that as disingenuous. It was basic AD speech. I am sure there are several AD's that say the same thing every year after a firing or before a hiring.

No, thta's far from true. Most ADs fire losing coaches and hire winning coaches. They give different speeches.

Just shut the f#*k up if you aren't going to actually add to the conversation

Just because you want to stick your fingers in your ears and yell "LALALALALA" doesn't mean I'm not adding to the conversation. If you don't understand that Michigan or Florida or any other school that hired a new coach is talking about completely different circumstances than ours, then you shouldn't be comparing our AD's speeches to theirs.

I don't really disagree with the overall point that we need better athletes. This is a given. But what gets me, is that 1 year ago Eichhorst said we have the talent to win a championship now. He said a major reason we fired Bo was he didn't think he could guide us to a championship. Yet, here we are a year later, and they invite all the media out and put on a nice PR event. Whether or not it was their intent, it comes across as covering their backsides for a bad year.

Yep

But even worse, they threw the players under the bus in order to "cover their backsides".

And even worse than that... and the part I cant even hardly think about... is they appear to have used Boyds reputation and standing... the one guy who really does have a great reputation in the program... in their attempt to "cover their backsides". I really feel bad for Boyd.

If this had only been about performance testing and making those numbers public again then it wouldn't have been a problem. Virtually everyone agrees that's a good thing.

But when they injected the other needless and inflammatory stuff about needing to recruit "more talented" players and the stuff about the current players needing too much developing and coaching... in order to "cover their backsides for a bad year"... that's when the public relations scheme crashed in a ball of flames.

Anytime you and your ilk don't like the message, you call the messenger a liar. Its BS and its getting old.

You do realize that the "messenger" said this a year ago...

"At the end of the day, I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships."

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/11/30/7310255/nebraska-huskers-football-bo-pelini-shawn-eichorst-press-conference

So... what were you saying about lying again?

So he realized he was wrong, big f'ing deal. That does not make him a liar. I have no doubt the Pelini fortress was hard to see inside. Think you can find that mountain after tripping over the mole hole?

So you're changing the rules again?

Eichorst says after firing Pelini that he thinks we have the players to win championships. Then Boyd comes in and puts actual measurements to that thought and shows we don't.

It doesn't make a guy a liar.

I haven't seen anything out of Boyd's stuff that says we can't at least win a conference championship. He says we don't have as good of players as we did in the 90's, no duh.

Now, people are taking this article, and running with it "SEE, SEE, WE DON'T HAVE THE PLAYERS!!!!"

It's simply not true.

So either way, Eichorst is not a liar. Glad we agree on that.

Totally! They all basically say that stuff...and sometimes it comes back to bite them in the balls.

Based on the limited number of teams that have won championships over the last 20 years, it has bitten almost all of them in the balls.

Please explain how it bite them in the balls.

That is exactly what the AD needs to say to keep the team motivated for the next staff. His job at that point is to keep the team together and looking forward to the next staff.

We already had one AD stand up and say just the opposite and we ended up having lots of transfers....etc.

Totally! They all basically say that stuff...and sometimes it comes back to bite them in the balls.

Based on the limited number of teams that have won championships over the last 20 years, it has bitten almost all of them in the balls.

That is exactly what the AD needs to say to keep the team motivated for the next staff. His job at that point is to keep the team together and looking forward to the next staff.

We already had one AD stand up and say just the opposite and we ended up having lots of transfers....etc.

Well...like right now on message boards...it is biting him.

Just like the comment he made about Iowa...came back to bite him.

I agree it is the stuff that AD's need to say...but in the end those comments made him look like a fool..."Read my lips...no new taxes"

I just meant that way more times than not, when an AD fires a coach and hires a new one, there is usually talk of "the next level" or "championship caliber football", etc. And more times than not, it doesn't happen, obviously. Nothing more than that.

I agree it is the stuff that AD's need to say...but in the end those comments made him look like a fool..."Read my lips...no new taxes"

Agreed. And for the record, I think he was right. We have had the talent to win a conference, for quite a while. At the very least, we have the talent to consistently win our division 3 out of 4 years, and routinely play for a title.

I just meant that way more times than not, when an AD fires a coach and hires a new one, there is usually talk of "the next level" or "championship caliber football", etc. And more times than not, it doesn't happen, obviously. Nothing more than that.

True!

Agreed. And for the record, I think he was right. We have had the talent to win a conference, for quite a while. At the very least, we have the talent to consistently win our division 3 out of 4 years, and routinely play for a title.

I agree.

But, one reason I hate coaching changes is that the tradition can cause turmoil I. The program and a mismatch of that talent.

Unfortunately that is what we have experienced here. Hopefully we can move forward and work towards wining those.

Well let's be honest: we had enough talent this year to beat the three highest ranked teams in our conference (Michigan State, Iowa and Northwestern), to beat our recent nemesis Wisconsin, and to beat a very solid and particularly dangerous-to-our-defense BYU.

We made tons of mistakes and yet somehow in the fourth quarter found ourselves capable of winning every game we played.

Or losing.

Illinois. Jesus.

So it's entirely accurate that these same pieces, with fewer adjustments, growing pains, coaching errors, quarterback fails and bad bounces could have competed for at least a division title.

It's also entirely accurate that we need a talent upgrade, especially at key positions, and have for several years and coaches.

It's also true that the Nebraska athletic department oversees 22 different varsity teams, including the Women's Volleyball dynasty, a frequently ranked Women's Basketball team, a nationally prominent Men's Baseball team, and a marginally more respected Men's Basketball Team among other successes. So let's not pretend Shawn Eichorst is an idiot or a disaster at a job that requires more than hiring a football coach. Or firing a football coach. Although firing Bo Pelini was a no-brainer and handled with more respect than Bo actually deserved.

• Fire 3

It's also true that the Nebraska athletic department oversees 22 different varsity teams, including the Women's Volleyball dynasty, a frequently ranked Women's Basketball team, a nationally prominent Men's Baseball team, and a marginally more respected Men's Basketball Team among other successes. So let's not pretend Shawn Eichorst is an idiot or a disaster at a job that requires more than hiring a football coach. Or firing a football coach. Although firing Bo Pelini was a no-brainer and handled with more respect than Bo actually deserved.

This is easily overlooked by the folks who only follow football. Steve Pederson botched the Solich/Callahan situation, but other than that, he was a pretty good AD. I think every other program - the ones I follow closely, anyway - liked him.

It's just that football being the cash cow, any mistake with that program is going to be hugely magnified.

This is easily overlooked by the folks who only follow football. Steve Pederson botched the Solich/Callahan situation, but other than that, he was a pretty good AD. I think every other program - the ones I follow closely, anyway - liked him.

It's just that football being the cash cow, any mistake with that program is going to be hugely magnified.

I guess you don't follow Pitt.

• Fire 1