Mike Riley's Recruiting Adventures and What Nebraska Fans Should Expect Moving Forward

eightlaces

Or sees us roasting players and claiming we have no talent...

Anyway, funny you should use LSU. I'm just going to assume you don't follow LSU or their fans at all.

I haven't seen anyone claim we have no talent. That's just another strawman you use.

I have seen people say we need to recruit better and that we need some talent upgrades and I am one of them. This is a far cry from saying we have no talent. You know this, but yet you insist on being intellectually dishonest.

People keep pointing to the '05 class as proof of greatness in recruiting. I personally believe them being ranked so much higher than other classes since is a farce.

Class Average player rating

05 .8523

06 .8493

07 .8241

08 .7903

09 .7883

10 .7801

11 .8832

12 .8674

13 .8334

14 .8472

15 .8170

16 .8702 (So far)

FYI....this is from 247 sports.

The '05 class was the 5th rated class in the country and everyone rants and raves about it. Fact is, we have had classes with a higher average player rating since then. The reason it was ranked 5th was because of numbers. The class had 31 players in it. The class had 6 4* and 1 5*.

This year, so far, our average player rating is .8702. Yes, the average rating of our players right now is higher than that amazing '05 class. We are still in on some pretty highly rated players. We have 3 4* players with only 15 kids. We are still in on some more 4 star players.

We are NOT going to get anywhere close to 31 commits this year. So, by that alone, we have no chance of getting that highly ranked. But, we have a chance of having a very high average player rating. Which.....I thin is a major part of looking at a class and seeing if it should be viewed as a good class or not.

I see us ending up somewhere with 23-24 players in this class. That's a decent sized class.

Here are 4 players that we are the leaders on and have actually a pretty good chance at getting.

Fitzpatrick .9069

Farniok .9055

Jackson .9524

I. Simmons .8913 (I think we are the leaders but he really isn't saying much)

Those average .9140. If we get these players, our average rating per player will actually be even higher than it is right now. (.8794 for these 19 players)

My point in all this is, Riley and his staff aren't doing a horrible job of getting commits from good recruits (at least highly rated by the "experts"). At least as it compares to the vaunted '05 class everyone rants about.

They just need to finish strong. They have set themselves up to do so. It now just needs to happen.

• Fire 3

Youngstown has as many recruits at this point as it usually does and a 3 star, which is its first since at least 2012.

You shouldn't be allowed to rewrite history, let alone the present.

My assessment of Callahan has almost nothing to do with my personal dislike of his coaching styles and philosophies. Almost every objective measure demonstrates that he recruited no better than solich and pelini and managed a roster even worse.

I have seen a number of your posts on different forums. You ALWAYS allow your dislike to sway your assessment, and when you do like a coach you ignore numerous facts!

I've seen him on different forums also, your assessment is correct.

Youngstown has as many recruits at this point as it usually does and a 3 star, which is its first since at least 2012.

My assessment of Callahan has almost nothing to do with my personal dislike of his coaching styles and philosophies. Almost every objective measure demonstrates that he recruited no better than solich and pelini and managed a roster even worse.

I have seen a number of your posts on different forums. You ALWAYS allow your dislike to sway your assessment, and when you do like a coach you ignore numerous facts!

You still posting on bigredboard elf? God, that place was the cesspool of Huskerfandom for the longest time. Total trainwreck.

You still posting on bigredboard elf? God, that place was the cesspool of Huskerfandom for the longest time. Total trainwreck.

Uhh...we've been through this with GBRedneck, I was banned along with many others for not toeing the line that trainwreck and Hardcharger drew in the sand.

Anyway, funny you should use LSU. I'm just going to assume you don't follow LSU or their fans at all.

I haven't seen anyone claim we have no talent. That's just another strawman you use.

I have seen people say we need to recruit better and that we need some talent upgrades and I am one of them. This is a far cry from saying we have no talent. You know this, but yet you insist on being intellectually dishonest.

Go search the threads from the week after the Purdocalypse. There were plenty of people claiming we had worse talent than Purdue (which is one of the worst in the P5).

• Fire 2

Have you read the boards this season, particularly the attacks on the QBs?

This roster had plenty of talent to win at least the West this year. It will have enough next year, too.

And Riley and Co. are doing a fine job in recruiting, from what we can realistically tell at this point, and that's in line with the last several NU coaches in that department.

Unfortunately, recruiting only buys a team the entrance fee. Winning championships is about A LOT more than recruiting. It remains to be seen whether Riley and Co. have the "stuff" to make championships out of those players.

• Fire 1

Go search the threads from the week after the Purdocalypse. There were plenty of people claiming we had worse talent than Purdue (which is one of the worst in the P5).

Very good point.

It seems the player haters develop a convenient case of amnesia after every win (of course, going into most wins this year, they were quick to claim that NU wasn't as talented as their opponent).

MR has to close real strong just to bring in a Top 30 class. Doesn't quite measure up to where I thought we were going.

In the 2014 class we signed 25 recruits. 16 of them committed in 2013. 9 of them committed in 2014. We're sitting about the same this year for filling out the class. So have patience. (And keep your fingers crossed!)

(btw, I skipped 2015 as being nonrepresentative because it was a transition year. But the results were about the same last year for filling up the class.)

I don't think any rational person would say we had less talent than Purdue. (The operative terms is "rational person.") But, IIRC, we had several players out with injury when we played Purdue. That probably narrowed our advantage somewhat.

because a recruit mentioned negative comments? That is your impact? Did it change his mind? Did he decide to rule out NU?

Nope, so the impact was zero!

It is very easy to blame the fans, instead of putting blame where it really belong, on the coaches for putting a crappy product on the field.....

Workaholics-GIF-35.gif

I don't think it's accurate to say the negative impact was zero, especially since he hasn't signed anywhere yet.

It is accurate to say it wasn't 100%, but not zero. You don't speak with the media about it if it's zero....

I'm no expert on recruiting but I'm inclined to believe the kid that's being recruited (and his dad) when he says there is a negative impact when fans act like d-bags. He did make that clear - it's not about fans being unhappy about the w-l record or the play calling or or the pass-throw ratio or even saying that team isn't living up to expectations and traditions. No, he basically said that the fans around him at the game were acting like a bunch of whinging d-bags.

Also, he doesn't even need to visit fan boards or check twitter to get that experience. He just has to show up at Memorial for his recruiting visit. That's awesome. I imagine it must be like being recruited by Texas.

• Fire 2

Any thing negative that can be confirmed hurts recruiting period. But these kids know the ropes, they have been around teams in their lives that were not that great, heard mom and dad bitch about the coach, the plays, every thing.

The fact that the Johnson kid made the comment is alarming though. He may have taken it far more to heart that other kids, but his comments to his friends and kids of their level reading those comments has to have an effect. Peer pressure it tremendous in today's youth.

Listening to XM/Siris, pretty much continuously, we do have one mark that hurts us a lot. The idea that Bo was fired for his win loss record. Continuously firing a 9 win coach is demanding too much. It would have been better to state the real reasons the past staff let go and for that matter why Solich was fired. The University is above that, so we deal with this constant, the fans demand too much attitude by the talking heads. That hurts us far more than a couple of kids saying the fans were mean to the coaching staff I think.

As to the whole fan base being like this board, not a chance. I have never heard angry/hateful/run them off Nebraska fan on the station. I hear, don't understand, give it some time, need to adapt from Nebraska fan..

We have about 20 angry fans that claim they know more about everything than anyone else, I am not sure about other sites, as I get enough depressing comments from this site to look for anymore. Some really good people here, and then we have the group of know it alls, that should be division 1 coaches in their minds. Yet, not a single one has left for that position, when so many were available.

Knowing what you see on the field, I would guess becomes pretty basic, but knowing what goes into making those situations are only known by the players and coaches in real time. Lots of injuries, that can affect the ability of a player. Coach I can handle the fall back to protect, can move solidly to my left, but I am in pain and can not make a block to the right, just might come into play with so small of numbers playing. Just a guess as to what the coaches hear and see. Their job is to try and overcome shortfalls of players, put them in the best position to make the play. I would guess sometimes plays have to be adapted to those making the plays. That is not easily seen from the stands or on TV.

because a recruit mentioned negative comments? That is your impact? Did it change his mind? Did he decide to rule out NU?

Nope, so the impact was zero!

It is very easy to blame the fans, instead of putting blame where it really belong, on the coaches for putting a crappy product on the field.....

Workaholics-GIF-35.gif

I don't think it's accurate to say the negative impact was zero, especially since he hasn't signed anywhere yet.

It is accurate to say it wasn't 100%, but not zero. You don't speak with the media about it if it's zero....

I'm no expert on recruiting but I'm inclined to believe the kid that's being recruited (and his dad) when he says there is a negative impact when fans act like d-bags. He did make that clear - it's not about fans being unhappy about the w-l record or the play calling or or the pass-throw ratio or even saying that team isn't living up to expectations and traditions. No, he basically said that the fans around him at the game were acting like a bunch of whinging d-bags.

Also, he doesn't even need to visit fan boards or check twitter to get that experience. He just has to show up at Memorial for his recruiting visit. That's awesome. I imagine it must be like being recruited by Texas.

Exactly.

Not all recruits hear negative crap, and I'm sure a lot that do, ignore it. But some could be swayed and it would be truly unfortunate if someones whiny bullsh#t on Huskerboard was what turned a good recruit away.

Fortunately, those who want to say being dbags doesn't affect recruiting can't be proven wrong. And for the record I am not saying negativity turns recruits away, pretty sure most of us know what kind of stuff I'm reffering to.