Mike Riley's Recruiting Adventures and What Nebraska Fans Should Expect Moving Forward

eightlaces

Nebraska's in a little of a recruiting lull at the moment, but it's still very, very early in the recruiting game. I think we'll hit 2/3 guys mentioned in the article and secure a few more commits as we head to National Signing Day. Hopefully 6-7 is the lowest mark of Riley's tenure at Nebraska, and I think it probably will be. Next season might not be too fantastic, but it'll certainly be better than 6-7.

Five weeks to signing day is not very, very early in the recruiting game.

If we get two out of three among Farniok, Jackson and Fitzpatrick that would be good. The problem is the list of guys we were in on a couple weeks ago was quite a bit longer.

A lot can happen in 5 weeks.

Nebraska's in a little of a recruiting lull at the moment, but it's still very, very early in the recruiting game. I think we'll hit 2/3 guys mentioned in the article and secure a few more commits as we head to National Signing Day. Hopefully 6-7 is the lowest mark of Riley's tenure at Nebraska, and I think it probably will be. Next season might not be too fantastic, but it'll certainly be better than 6-7.

If we get two out of three among Farniok, Jackson and Fitzpatrick that would be good. The problem is the list of guys we were in on a couple weeks ago was quite a bit longer.

That's fine. But it doesn't make it very early. Especially when there are still two weeks of dead period left.

• Fire 1

That's fine. But it doesn't make it very early. Especially when there are still two weeks of dead period left.

In addition to the race to get recruits earlier every year, the last 5 weeks is similar to someone filing their taxes at 11:59 PM on 4/15

• Fire 2

In addition to the race to get recruits earlier every year, the last 5 weeks is similar to someone filing their taxes at 11:59 PM on 4/15

Yep. I'm not sure it's even very, very early for the Class of 2017.

Not really. That would only be the case of the staff hadn't find any work yet.

They have done a ton of work on some good recruits. The recruits are the ones that are waiting to announce.

What impact would you say that "negative fan reactions" had for Pelini when it came to recruiting?

Because if that's a valid excuse now, you can only imagine what it must have been like trying to recruit with people calling for your head after a 9 win season and a bowl win over Georgia... not to mention, almost no outward support from an administration.

I'm just trying to figure out where the goalposts are set.

Reality is, Riley will probably recruit about as well as his predecessor and the two coaches before that guy. This recruitnik parsing of a recruit here and there isn't really worth much.

It's going to come down to whether Riley and his staff can get a +2 to +4 wins out of talent that should consistently win 8 games a season (i.e., the level of talent NU has and will likely continue to bring in).

This year, they were at least -5 in my opinion.

I'm a little confused about your last few sentences. You say that Nebraska should consistently win 8 games a season and then go on to say that they were at least -5 wins this season. Wouldn't they be -2?

Yeah, that was a confusing post on my part. I think they are -4 or -5 this year because of the schedule and the talent this team had. NU should have gone 5-2 against the 7 losses this seasons. By going 0-7, I see that as a pretty significant failure.

But generally, yes, a 6 win season would be -2 (maybe -3) in terms of performance against inherent talent.

• Fire 1

How is a recruiting class ranked in the 40's receive an A?

Agreed.

The article is clearly trying to pump sunshine, which is fine after a nice bowl victory. But I find it hard to give a class ranked in the 40s an A, which doesn't even consider the failure to recruit defensive linemen, particularly DEs.

Agreed. This class has some pretty good talent and the staff seems to have the in on some other really nice prospects, but if they don't pull in a few good OTs and some "good" DEs and 1-2 DTs then I can't give them any higher than a B- if they hit on all of the prospects at other positions.

I truly fear all of the FIRE RILEY discussion that goes on around places like this will turn away the likes of Keyshawn and his crew. We have a bigger voice than we know.

That said, we do need a solid commit here soon before our class momentum completely dies. Hopefully once the dead period ends, we see an explosion and a strong finish.

• Fire 1

I can't believe that the "Fire Reilly" talk would turn a recruit off all by itself. However, if they are on the fence then it would be a HUGE factor. Did we get the season we all expected, no. Maybe our expectations were off from the start. Even after the season has played out, I still can't believe we lost 4 games on the opponents last possession. If we win 50% of those, do things look better, maybe or maybe not. 2016-2017 seasons will determine the "Reilly Era", not 2015. No way he gets more than 3 years if he don't turn it around quickly.

I can't believe that the "Fire Reilly" talk would turn a recruit off all by itself. However, if they are on the fence then it would be a HUGE factor. Did we get the season we all expected, no. Maybe our expectations were off from the start. Even after the season has played out, I still can't believe we lost 4 games on the opponents last possession. If we win 50% of those, do things look better, maybe or maybe not. 2016-2017 seasons will determine the "Reilly Era", not 2015. No way he gets more than 3 years if he don't turn it around quickly.

For as much dislike there is for the guy, people should learn to spell his name correctly.

• Fire 1

For as much dislike there is for the guy, people should learn to spell his name correctly.

Wow, calling me out for my spelling.... I was educated in Nebraska, I had more important things to do then study my spelling words. BTW, I am a Riley supporter,I just think he will be on a very short leash.