Ross Els hired as DC @ Purdue

So...if you are an average/poor coach at one school it means you can never be better at a new school???

Hmmmmm

He was a poor position coach and got promoted to a coordinator.

But continue to troll away.

But he had 2 years experience being a DC at NMSU.

Why do people think that good position coaches would automatically make them a good defensive coordinator? A DC has to be able to design a D and make the appropriate defensive calls during the game. To me, they are fairly different responsibilities.

• Fire 1

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

THEY HIRED AN HIGH SCHOOL ASSISTANT COACH TO BE A DIVISION 1 DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR

The only reason he was a high school assistant last year was because he was still being paid his NU contract and he wanted to stay in Lincoln with his kids. You are acting like he has never been a D-1 assistant coach.
He was widely considered the worst position coach on Pelini's staff. And now he's going to a Big Ten school as a coordinator.

All that says is that people might not know what they're talking about.

I like Bray but it's possible our LBs were better than people gave them credit for.

Only 2 of our LBs that played this year had significant coaching under Els. And one of them would have transferred if we didn't get new coaches.

So I'm not sure you can credit Els for anything that happened at LB this year. Well you can credit him for our horrible depth.

• Fire 2

So...if you are an average/poor coach at one school it means you can never be better at a new school???

Hmmmmm

YOu would have to help me out on this but has he ever been coaching on a team that had a losing record?

Hmmmmm

Why do people think that good position coaches would automatically make them a good defensive coordinator? A DC has to be able to design a D and make the appropriate defensive calls during the game. To me, they are fairly different responsibilities.

He was a DC 12 years ago. So if he was that good he would have found another DC position in that time.

Hmmmmm

YOu would have to help me out on this but has he ever been coaching on a team that had a losing record?

Google is your friend

Hmmmmm

Google is your friend

I actually use Ask Jeeves

• Fire 1

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

THEY HIRED AN HIGH SCHOOL ASSISTANT COACH TO BE A DIVISION 1 DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR

The only reason he was a high school assistant last year was because he was still being paid his NU contract and he wanted to stay in Lincoln with his kids. You are acting like he has never been a D-1 assistant coach.
He was widely considered the worst position coach on Pelini's staff. And now he's going to a Big Ten school as a coordinator.

I like Bray but it's possible our LBs were better than people gave them credit for.

Only 2 of our LBs that played this year had significant coaching under Els. And one of them would have transferred if we didn't get new coaches.

So I'm not sure you can credit Els for anything that happened at LB this year. Well you can credit him for our horrible depth.

Ross Els was the reason Jared Alfalava was a bad kid and got booted from the team? Was he also responsible for that one LB transferring away from NU to Kentucky? Did Els tear up Rose-Ivey's knee before the 2014 season?

Els was responsible for coaching the LB's in the scheme that Bo wanted him to.

I'm not saying Els is a super awesome coach, but he can only do so much in a certain situation.

• Fire 1

Real classy Husker fans. Els is a Nebraska-Omaha alum, has coached in Nebraska and with former NU players and coaches for most of his career. Now NU fans are crapping on him because he worked under Bo Pelini.

Pretty convenient, isn't it?

Coaches don't get hired to comparable positions: See how much these coaches suck!

Coaches get "promotions" when hired by other programs: They must be stupid for doing that!

Nothing like turning up whatever narrative makes you feel better.

Yeah and when Baylor was running all over UNC this week, it was all Papuchis' fault, even when Paps isn't the DC at UNC. I think most NU fans would have loved to have the record of UNC this season, and they did it with 2 former Bo assistants on their defensive staff.

No way Chizic thought Baylor would run. They game planned to stop the pass and were completely gassed chasing the RB's...... Goes to show how important depth and rotation is to be successful. If Baylor can remotely find a defense, they would be next to impossible to beat. Briles has done a great job there for sure.
Why would Chizek expect Baylor to pass? Baylor was down to their 3rd string QB.

Just looked unprepared as their starting back was out. I think their continued and varied wildcat hurt UNC as well. Wish UNC had won.

Hmmmmm

He was a DC 12 years ago. So if he was that good he would have found another DC position in that time.

Look, I get it, you love Riley and his staff, that is great. I think think they go 10-2 next year (thought the same thing this year)...but...lets take Banker for instance...most fans really did not like that he came with Riley, why not? Past performance, right?

Sooooo...if you like Banker now and think he will do better...why would that not apply to Els?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ross Els was the reason Jared Alfalava was a bad kid and got booted from the team? Was he also responsible for that one LB transferring away from NU to Kentucky? Did Els tear up Rose-Ivey's knee before the 2014 season?

Els was responsible for coaching the LB's in the scheme that Bo wanted him to.

I'm not saying Els is a super awesome coach, but he can only do so much in a certain situation.

Several coaches seem better removed from Bo. To include our O last year vs USC..... Hindsight being 20/20 some of the staff were victims of their circumstances. Not every HC is a great big picture guy. Some do much better (IMO) on a more singular scope mission.

Hmmmmm

Look, I get it, you love Riley and his staff, that is great. I think think they go 10-2 next year (thought the same thing this year)...but...lets take Banker for instance...most fans really did not like that he came with Riley, why not? Past performance, right?

Sooooo...if you like Banker now and think he will do better...why would that not apply to Els?

Nice thread drift to another Riley/staff thread.

And thanks for putting words in my mouth. I'm on the fence about this staff, but am looking on the positive side this offseason. And the D was bad this year. Was I happy Banker was brought along? Nope. And he needs to improve that side in a hurry or the whole staff will have a short tenure here.

Hmmmmm

Nice thread drift to another Riley/staff thread.

And thanks for putting words in my mouth. I'm on the fence about this staff, but am looking on the positive side this offseason. And the D was bad this year. Was I happy Banker was brought along? Nope. And he needs to improve that side in a hurry or the whole staff will have a short tenure here.

I am not on the fence about this staff...I expected 10 wins this year and I expect 10 this upcoming season. I did not drift the thread...there was talk that Els sucked here and could never be a good coach...yet, post after post can be found about how Saban sucked at MSU and in the pros and is a boss now...How Riley sucked because he was in Kosovoallis...

Els, my guess, will suck at Purdue, just like most coaches do at that place, one of the worst football programs imaginable. But It seems odd to say he will suck there because he sucked here when we used the opposite line of thinking about 12 months ago

Els was LB coach in 2011, for 2 guys named Lavonte David and Will Compton. I know those guys are ultra-talented, but I would say that Els does get some credit for improving their play at NU and getting them ready for the NFL.

No...if anything he hurt both of them. David would have been better than Butkis and Compton would have been the first player/coach in Redskins history...and he would have gotten the team name changed to something less offensive...