B1G bowl blowouts

HP, I don't get how you can say the committee "got it wrong" by not including Ohio State. To me, they are supposed to choose the 4 teams with the best resume from the season. Ohio State wasn't one of those 4. Yes, they probably are one of the best 2 or 3 teams, but they didn't do well enough in the season to get one of the 4 playoff spots.

""Our charge is simple," said Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long, who will chair the committee. "Determine the best teams in college football and seed them to play each other."

That did not happen this year = Total Failure.

The system we have now is no better than the one it replaced. Major changes need to be made.

HP, I don't get how you can say the committee "got it wrong" by not including Ohio State. To me, they are supposed to choose the 4 teams with the best resume from the season. Ohio State wasn't one of those 4. Yes, they probably are one of the best 2 or 3 teams, but they didn't do well enough in the season to get one of the 4 playoff spots.

""Our charge is simple," said Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long, who will chair the committee. "Determine the best teams in college football and seed them to play each other."

But at the time the playoffs were chosen they hadn't done enough to prove they were in the top 4. Who do you take out?

The committee didn't fail, Ohio State failed.

But at the time the playoffs were chosen they hadn't done enough to prove they were in the top 4. Who do you take out?

The committee is not capable of determining the 4 best teams... it never will be.

The committee and the CFP as it stands now... is as big or a bigger mess than what it replaced.

Here we are now... in the second year of the new scheme... and it's already failed.

The committee is not capable of determining the 4 best teams... it never will be.

The committee and the CFP as it stands now... is as big or a bigger mess than what it replaced.

Here we are now... in the second year of the new scheme... and it's already failed.

So do you take Ohio State because you "think" they are one of the best 4 teams even though they didn't prove they were one of the best 4 teams when the games were actually played?

Any college football system is going to have flaws. When you are dealing with such a high number of teams who don't play each other during the season, it won't be perfect.

If you add more teams, it lessens the importance of the regular season. I like it at 4 because it still makes the regular season very important and you really can't take games off.

So do you take Ohio State because you "think" they are one of the best 4 teams even though they didn't prove they were one of the best 4 teams when the games were actually played?

Any college football system is going to have flaws. When you are dealing with such a high number of teams who don't play each other during the season, it won't be perfect.

If you add more teams, it lessens the importance of the regular season. I like it at 4 because it still makes the regular season very important and you really can't take games off.

The CFP is a bust.

Anyone who watched Ohio State play Michigan saw the best team in college football this year. That happened before the playoff teams were decided.

In fact... Ohio State is the ONLY team in the country that could have defeated Alabama in the playoff.

So it could easily be argued that Alabama has been FAVORED because the one team that could have beaten them (just like they did last year) wasn't even in the tournament.

One thing is for certain. MS did not belong in the tournament. They scored 0- as in zero points against Alabama in the playoff. It's harder to say about Oklahoma because they got the easier opponent.

It's just not possible to have a legitimate playoff or national champion, as things stand now.

So why even have Conference Championships if the PC picks a team that didn't even make the championship?

If Oklahoma got an easier opponent and lost, it would be easier to say that they didn't belong there, but personally I believe they did and just crapped the bed at game time.

IMO the playoffs has yet to fail and last year is proof. If we didn't have it, it would have been Alabama vs Oregon and again this year it would have been Alabama and Clemson (as it is) and still your Ohio State wouldn't have been even a forethought.

Should Ohio State been in it? Sure, but as CH stated, they screwed up and lost the bid to go to the Conference Championship. Could you imagine if Iowa would have won the championship game? I am sure even more people would have been up in arms about it.

So why even have Conference Championships if the PC picks a team that didn't even make the championship?

If Oklahoma got an easier opponent and lost, it would be easier to say that they didn't belong there, but personally I believe they did and just crapped the bed at game time.

IMO the playoffs has yet to fail and last year is proof. If we didn't have it, it would have been Alabama vs Oregon and again this year it would have been Alabama and Clemson (as it is) and still your Ohio State wouldn't have been even a forethought.

Should Ohio State been in it? Sure, but as CH stated, they screwed up and lost the bid to go to the Conference Championship. Could you imagine if Iowa would have won the championship game? I am sure even more people would have been up in arms about it.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. If you have to win a conference championship in order to be in the playoff... then why do we need the CFP committee ?

Just let the power 5 conference champions +1 or + 3 play (6-8 teams)... then we don't need the CFP committee.

As everyone knows... the best team may not be conference champions or even in a conference OR we will end up with a situation where 2 of the best teams in the country are both from the same conference.

As things stand now... we could and will end up with playoffs where 3 conference champions plus Notre Dame play in the playoff and 2 conference champions are left out.

None of this is workable. College football deserves a real tournament. We don't have that.

If you have automatic bids for conference champions, then you could have a 3 or 4 loss team win a weak division and then pull off a big upset in the conference title game. Would that team with 3 or 4 losses really be in the top 8 of college football?

It would make those 3 or 4 losses earlier in the season completely meaningless. What makes college football great is how much the regular season means and how every game is important.

Having the benefit of an extra game (bowls) for each team gives extra credence to the argument for Ohio State being in the playoff and MSU. OSU played great and MSU was exposed. But this is going back to the future as this information of course was not available when they chose the teams. I agree Ohio State would have made for a more interesting New Year's Eve, but imagine the uproar if MSU was left out after beating OSU so late in the season. Maybe Bama beats OSU and people are crying about how ridiculous it was that a head to head matchup late in the season was not the deciding factor for two one loss teams.

When you watch these games with the Top 5 teams in the country it is very easy to see that Nebraska does have a way to go, before we are back in the discussion of being one of the best teams.

With that said, I do believe we are on our way.

Stanford is the model for Nebraska folks.

• Power Football - Multiple ways of running the ball.
  • Big, nasty offensive line
  • Tight ends.
  • Fullbacks - They still work. They can create an extra gap anywhere on the line of scrimmage. (See: Janovich, Mackovicka, Schlesinger, Davies)
  • Passing game built on play-action downfield.

Nebraska needs to take the Stanford model, run with it and build off it, BUT ALSO INCLUDE the read-option, speed option, inverted veer game.This would make Nebraska one tough offense in the Big Ten.

Just thought I would drop this here...

Tom Osborne credited David Shaw on Stanford's offense at the Outland Banquet last night.

• Fire 1

That's exactly what I'm talking about. If you have to win a conference championship in order to be in the playoff... then why do we need the CFP committee ?

Just let the power 5 conference champions +1 or + 3 play (6-8 teams)... then we don't need the CFP committee.

As everyone knows... the best team may not be conference champions or even in a conference OR we will end up with a situation where 2 of the best teams in the country are both from the same conference.

As things stand now... we could and will end up with playoffs where 3 conference champions plus Notre Dame play in the playoff and 2 conference champions are left out.

None of this is workable. College football deserves a real tournament. We don't have that.

This is the biggest problem with having a four team playoff. I have long desired a playoff. However, I always wanted eight teams to be in the playoff. I don't know that the committee necessarily messed up this year or last year, but the best teams at the end of the season weren't included. Last year with the way things went and the handicap of a four team playoff, Ohio State probably shouldn't even have been in the playoff. This would have all been sorted out with an eight team playoff. The four best teams at the end of this season were Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Stanford.

I don't agree at all that the committee got the wrong teams into the playoff. However, I do agree changes need to be made because the best teams at season end are not necessarily getting into the playoff. I am in favor of expanding the playoff to eight teams and getting rid of the conference championship games.