Valentine declares for the draft

I think he is leaving only for the money. No reason to stay as some say. The reason you stay is because you are a team member, and want the best for your team. Some kids think that way others don't. I see no real loss by him going. He has not totally embraced the team or the staff it appears from his comments.

Next man up.

So, you've never left a job for a better opportunity elsewhere? I don't see how VV is being selfish, and what is wrong with leaving to the NFL to make money? People go to college in order to get a degree and make more money in the real world. VV has his degree and he is hoping to earn a lot of money in the NFL. I see nothing wrong with his decision.

I'm sure you felt the same way about Petteway and Pitchford leaving early as well :facepalm:

I actually didn't care about Petteway and Pitchford leaving. If a guy has his college degree and doesn't see what he can gain from spending another year in college, I don't see any reason for him to come back.

Petteway wasn't going to turn himself into an NBA star overnight. Now, he is in the NBADL, playing 3-4 nights a week, and practicing every day with NBA-style coaches.

I'm not sure what Pitchford is doing, but he was never going to make it in the NBA. I'm sure he's playing in Europe or Asia and make decent money.

I just don't get the idea of staying with your college team, just because you have eligibility left.

As it stands right now the ceiling for VV is 3-4th round. With more likely of a possibility of a 5th-6th.

There was a call into Sharp and Benning about VV and his work ethic and the attitude.

There's a difference between coming out early to be a 1st-2nd round draft pick and a 5th-6th pick

I think he is leaving only for the money. No reason to stay as some say. The reason you stay is because you are a team member, and want the best for your team. Some kids think that way others don't. I see no real loss by him going. He has not totally embraced the team or the staff it appears from his comments.

Next man up.

So, you've never left a job for a better opportunity elsewhere? I don't see how VV is being selfish, and what is wrong with leaving to the NFL to make money? People go to college in order to get a degree and make more money in the real world. VV has his degree and he is hoping to earn a lot of money in the NFL. I see nothing wrong with his decision.

I'm sure you felt the same way about Petteway and Pitchford leaving early as well :facepalm:

I actually didn't care about Petteway and Pitchford leaving. If a guy has his college degree and doesn't see what he can gain from spending another year in college, I don't see any reason for him to come back.

Petteway wasn't going to turn himself into an NBA star overnight. Now, he is in the NBADL, playing 3-4 nights a week, and practicing every day with NBA-style coaches.

I'm not sure what Pitchford is doing, but he was never going to make it in the NBA. I'm sure he's playing in Europe or Asia and make decent money.

I just don't get the idea of staying with your college team, just because you have eligibility left.

As it stands right now the ceiling for VV is 3-4th round. With more likely of a possibility of a 5th-6th.

There was a call into Sharp and Benning about VV and his work ethic and the attitude.

There's a difference between coming out early to be a 1st-2nd round draft pick and a 5th-6th pick

But, if VV already has his degree and probably won't ever be able to turn himself into a 1st-2nd round pick, then why stick around? You just said his ceiling was 3rd-4th round. VV should do everything he can to get drafted this year and then try for the best.

Next man up.

Or VV could come back next year, tear his ACL in some meaningless game, and then never get a shot in the NFL.

• Fire 1

Oh, there was a call into a radio show about his work ethic. Sounds super reliable.

Honestly that has been in question his entire career. Not saying he doesn't have the work ethic, but I remember it being called in to question at times.

I am sure his work ethic and motor will be called into question. However, the guy has great size and skill set, and has shown moments of dominance. Yes, it wasn't as regular for NU as we all would have liked.

However, the NFL doesn't care about college production, especially in the later rounds of the draft. In the later rounds of the draft, guys are more willing to draft on size, skills, and potential.

Michael Sam led the SEC in sacks in his senior year. The guy had a very productive college career. He hasn't been able to stick in the NFL because dominating in college doesn't always translate to being useful in the NFL.

There's a thread from 2013 where Josh Mitchell calls out players for not working hard, and specifically Vincent Valentine.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/65170-josh-mitchell-is-my-new-favorite-player/

Yes, and pelini named him as a guy who needed to pick it up as a freshman.

But after that offseason, he transformed his play and attitude. And it's shown.

There's a piece out today by Brandon Cavanaugh that VV hasn't done the work he needs to do to enter the draft.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/nebraskas-vincent-valentine-makes-critical-mistake-declaring-nfl

I'm not saying that's right, I'm not saying VV is lazy or that Mitchell's 2013 tweets are true then or today. But the narrative is out there, from sources more informed than message board fans.

OK, it isn't 2013 anymore. Where's the proof that anything changed? I'm a VV fan, so I'm not out witch-hunting hoping for dirt on the guy. I'd like nothing more than to read reports of his amazing work ethic and glowing future. I'm just not seeing that anywhere.

Here's a non-football example: VV has his degree already, which means he isn't a lazy student - far from it, it sounds like he's dedicated and he's got a solid head on his shoulders. So we know that about him.

So where's the narrative - aside from a bunch of "message board posters" - that he's got the work ethic & skills to make it in the NFL? Because that's what I want to see for him now, a solid NFL career, make a few bucks, then retire into business or leisure life (or broadcasting, if that's his thing) with that degree.