Valentine declares for the draft

I think the under classmen that declared early for the draft last year, was 87. Less than 40 were drafted, and a good sized number of the lower rounds may not make it.

The attitude today is different. That is why it bothers me. When we were a championship level team, kids stayed because they were part of the team, wanted the best for the team. I have no knowledge of whether VV was a real team member, liked or disliked the current staff. But he had a year to prove to the team he was a team player. I really do not care one way or another if he stays or leaves. That is his choice. But my guess is he has a very good chance of not being one not drafted.

Valentine spent 4 years in the program. I don't think anyone should be questioning his willingness to sacrifice for the team.

Also, only 24 of 84 underclassmen went undrafted last year (it was the year before that a ton went undrafted, leading to a major reduction in early leavers in 2015), which means 60 were drafted. Where did you pull the number of "less than 40"?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000490798/article/2015-nfl-draft-24-of-84-earlyentry-prospects-go-undrafted

This year, 74 have declared so far. Note that guys like Valentine aren't even considered early declarees because they have finished their senior season.

• Fire 1
  • 3 months later...

There's a thread from 2013 where Josh Mitchell calls out players for not working hard, and specifically Vincent Valentine.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/65170-josh-mitchell-is-my-new-favorite-player/

Yes, and pelini named him as a guy who needed to pick it up as a freshman.

But after that offseason, he transformed his play and attitude. And it's shown.

There's a piece out today by Brandon Cavanaugh that VV hasn't done the work he needs to do to enter the draft.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/nebraskas-vincent-valentine-makes-critical-mistake-declaring-nfl

I'm not saying that's right, I'm not saying VV is lazy or that Mitchell's 2013 tweets are true then or today. But the narrative is out there, from sources more informed than message board fans.

Chalk up another big miss by BC.

• Fire 1

https:// twitter.com/TheRealVRVJ/status/686559010288463872

"...I'd like to sincerely thank the best fans in the land, Husker Nation, for all the love and unwavering encouragement over the years..."

Um...Is VV sure he's talking to the right fans?

Can't say this bothers me too much. Although it could be argued that Valentine, more the Collins anyway, is making a decision based on his lack of faith in the defensive scheme.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was more not meshing with the new coaching staff

VV goes in the 6-7 round at best.

he was our fourth best DT last year after Collins and the Kevins. He just never really lived up to the hype

a guy who occasionally makes a play when he's not taking plays off

I'm not sure he could do much worse than where he'll be drafted now (assuming he's even drafted).

Nothing says "NFL potential" like a guy who realizes he will have to step up for this team to succeed and decides to cut and run instead. Not saying that's his rationale, but if you're right that it was, that would concern me as an NFL GM. I would definitely put a check next to the "Looks for the easy way out" box.

the reality is that VV will not go any higher than the 6th round. He hasn't exactly been a workout warrior

With Collins gone, VV knows that he is going to draw the double teams and be the focus of the opposing offensive line and therefore that his stats next year will likely be worse than this year, so he's got to sell while his stock is the highest its going to get.

I think he is leaving only for the money. No reason to stay as some say. The reason you stay is because you are a team member, and want the best for your team. Some kids think that way others don't. I see no real loss by him going. He has not totally embraced the team or the staff it appears from his comments.

Next man up.

What?! I thought some people were saying he wouldn't get drafted

Some said it was definitely a possibility. Glad it was not the case. Good for VV!

There were a lot of posters on here bashing VV for his decision to leave NU, even after he earned his degree. These posters can have a big glass of STFU this morning. They were being selfish and only wanted to see VV risk his well-being and future earning power by spending one more year at NU.

QFT.

The most convincing thing will be where he's drafted, if at all. Hopefully that's higher up and he has a great career. If he isn't drafted, his decision to leave will be open for second-guessing.

I was apprehensive about VV going pro. I'm glad to see it's worked out for him, and now let's see him get some stats for a couple of years, and then that fat second contract. From there he can do whatever he wants in life.

The most convincing thing will be where he's drafted, if at all. Hopefully that's higher up and he has a great career. If he isn't drafted, his decision to leave will be open for second-guessing.

I was apprehensive about VV going pro. I'm glad to see it's worked out for him, and now let's see him get some stats for a couple of years, and then that fat second contract. From there he can do whatever he wants in life.

No kidding...I think if he can basically just stay injury free he will get that second contract. With his size he is what most of those 3-4 teams want. He important stats will be games played, snaps played and % of time getting double teamed. Anything after those will be gravy

"...I'd like to sincerely thank the best fans in the land, Husker Nation, for all the love and unwavering encouragement over the years..."

Can't say this bothers me too much. Although it could be argued that Valentine, more the Collins anyway, is making a decision based on his lack of faith in the defensive scheme.

he was our fourth best DT last year after Collins and the Kevins. He just never really lived up to the hype

I'm not sure he could do much worse than where he'll be drafted now (assuming he's even drafted).

Nothing says "NFL potential" like a guy who realizes he will have to step up for this team to succeed and decides to cut and run instead. Not saying that's his rationale, but if you're right that it was, that would concern me as an NFL GM. I would definitely put a check next to the "Looks for the easy way out" box.

the reality is that VV will not go any higher than the 6th round. He hasn't exactly been a workout warrior

With Collins gone, VV knows that he is going to draw the double teams and be the focus of the opposing offensive line and therefore that his stats next year will likely be worse than this year, so he's got to sell while his stock is the highest its going to get.

I think he is leaving only for the money. No reason to stay as some say. The reason you stay is because you are a team member, and want the best for your team. Some kids think that way others don't. I see no real loss by him going. He has not totally embraced the team or the staff it appears from his comments.

Next man up.

Why does his tweet say its from 2012?

https://twitter.com/TheRealVRVJ/status/167368520307449857

Next man up.

Because it was from 2012. :D

I included it to point out he's been dogged on here almost from day one.

https://twitter.com/TheRealVRVJ/status/167368520307449857

Next man up.

Because it was from 2012. :D

I included it to point out he's been dogged on here almost from day one.

Understood. Thank you