Way-too-early 2016 Top 25

GOAT

Is this supposed to be proof? A preseason poll that comes out only hours after the national championship? This proves we are falling into the abyss?????
Not proof, just further evidence that nationally relevant football experts don't think too highly of us.

So what? It's friggin January 12th and the season is 235 days away. So much will change between the release of this stupid poll and kickoff that the first real poll won't even remotely resemble this one.

Couldn't care less what a January pre season poll thinks of Nebraska or anyone else for that matter.

What about an August preseason poll? Do you hold those polls in any regard, or are you the type that says, "Bahhh, they don't know what they're talking about"

August the picture is much clearer. But still we gotta wait until about a month in to really know who belongs in any meaningful discussion.

Nothing to see here. We have been in the abyss for a while.

Final AP rankings

2015 - Not ranked

2014 - Not ranked

2013 - Not ranked

2012 - #25

2011 - #24

Precisely. And we ain't getting any better. :-(

Finishing a season better than expected would be a start.

So Nebraska is set up perfectly for 2016.

Feel the power of lowered expectations!

Is this supposed to be proof? A preseason poll that comes out only hours after the national championship? This proves we are falling into the abyss?????

Not proof, just further evidence that nationally relevant football experts don't think too highly of us.

I just want to point out, two people +1'd this post and it literally says "not proof, just further evidence".

What????

Can a number cruncher please tell me the last time a team a power 5 school was preseason unranked with a 4 year starting qb. We are doing something wrong folks. Most 4 year starters would have their team in the top 10.

Christian Hackenberg?

He was "only" a three-year starter - leaving early for the NFL.

Though they probably wouldn't have been rated if he came back next year.

Final AP rankings

2015 - Not ranked

2014 - Not ranked

2013 - Not ranked

2012 - #25

2011 - #24

There is no power in lowered expectations... only more failure.

In fact the exact opposite is true...high expectations lead to success.

Final AP rankings

2015 - Not ranked

2014 - Not ranked

2013 - Not ranked

2012 - #25

2011 - #24

There is no power in lowered expectations... only more failure.

In fact the exact opposite is true...high expectations lead to success.

Well I was poking a little fun with that exclamation point, but now that you're making the case, I'm not so sure it's true.

The national media reserved higher expectations for Nebraska starting in 2008 (nowhere to go but up) and after meeting those modest expectations for a couple years, Nebraska began to underperform — i.e.: not meet the expectations — finishing each year below the preseason ranking and generally out of relevance altogether.

So high expectations lead to disappointment rather that success.

On the micro level, every game Nebraska entered with high expectations, I'm thinking Texas 2010 and Wisconsin 2012 in particular, the high expectations led directly to failure. Those were teams with talent that could not perform under pressure, when it mattered most.

Having bottomed out against Purdue, this year's Nebraska team was able to score it's first upset of a Top 5 team in ages. No one expected that.

Lowered expectations don't necessarily mean giving up on success. Sometimes it simply means patience and realism. Nebraska's current rut is no different and actually much better than most of our college football powerhouse peers.

I don't think there's a poster on this board, a Husker fan, player, coach or administrator suggesting we get comfortable with failure.

It's great to be enthusiastic, IF that enthusiasm is warranted. But please tell me what at this point warrants any enthusiasm? What points towards this program getting any better? We have the 40-ish ranked recruiting class and everything we were fed -- all the "if he is given the resources to succeed it will make a huge difference" -- looks like hogwash at this point.

• Fire 1

It's great to be enthusiastic, IF that enthusiasm is warranted. But please tell me what at this point warrants any enthusiasm? What points towards this program getting any better? We have the 40-ish ranked recruiting class and everything we were fed -- all the "if he is given the resources to succeed it will make a huge difference" -- looks like hogwash at this point.

You would do well to study the two sig lines you attach to every one of your posts.

Final AP rankings

2015 - Not ranked

2014 - Not ranked

2013 - Not ranked

2012 - #25

2011 - #24

This precisely