Will NU return to National Dominance again - next 10-15 years

TGHusker

Will NU return to "Albama"s standard during the next 10 - 15 years?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fan support, academics and even facilities are window dressing. They basically count in binary terms: do you have those things above a top 30 level (i.e., the upper half of each of the 5 power conferences + schools like ND) or not?

If yes, then it really comes down to "how close to Mama are you?" and "does your system fit what I'm trying to do?"

Of course there is the "Do you show me enough love?" factor, which is actually pretty important as recruiting is all about sincere relationships, but unfortunately the NCAA is trying to (or maybe just effectively) kill that for "remote" schools like Nebraska, Va Tech and any others that are near the population centers.

The way some posters make it sound, there is no reason in the world a recruit would want to come to Nebraska.

They challenge others to list the advantages that NU has over other schools, only to put down those advantages later.

To those posters, why do recruits choose Nebraska over other top schools?

I didn't vote because my answer is yes, they CAN do it, but I can't say with any degree of certainty that it will happen.

Several variables played into TO's success, as we all know. Some of those variables are impossible to replicate again because of factors like the new scholarship limits. It would take the right coach with the right scheme and recruiting, just like it did for Nebraska in the mid-90's and just like it's doing now for Nick Saban.

In terms of recruiting, even during all of Nebraska's success in the 90's, they still couldn't pull in top 10 recruiting classes year to year or even Top 15. The following are average recruiting rankings from the different services in the 90's.

1990 - 28.3

1991 - 28.0

1992 - 9.7

1993 - 17.5

1994 - 21.8

1995 - 7.7

1996 - 7.3

1997 - 15.5

1998 - 15.0

1999 - 19.0

Without getting caught up in all the multitude of differences from 20 years ago, these numbers show (at least to me) that Nebraska can recruit well but likely never to the level of schools like Alabama or LSU on a consistent basis.

The way some posters make it sound, there is no reason in the world a recruit would want to come to Nebraska.

They challenge others to list the advantages that NU has over other schools, only to put down those advantages later.

To those posters, why do recruits choose Nebraska over other top schools?

Advantages: Great Facilities, Stong Tradition, Great Fans

Disadvantages: So does everybody else now. Also, it's cold here and we haven't won anything of substance for over a decade.

This poll is a loaded question furthering an agenda. The goal listed is unrealistic at best, and you can't select a middle ground.

Even considering this, 38.5% of fans on the board think it's possible.

I would say it's beyond insane to think Nebraska will compete as well as Alabama in the next 10-15 years, the 38.5% of fans who think otherwise are delusional. Realistically, Nebraska should try to win the conference twice in that span and try to have a good showing in the Rose/NY6 Bowl game they qualify for as a result.

From the player's perspective, how is our fan base different than the fan base you see at Texas, Alabama, Florida, LSU, Ol Miss, Georgia, OSU, Michigan....etc?

Just curious. If you have absolutely no affiliation with any of these schools, why would our fan base draw you here compared to the other fan bases drawing you to them?

I guess nobody has an answer to this?

:dunno

From the player's perspective, how is our fan base different than the fan base you see at Texas, Alabama, Florida, LSU, Ol Miss, Georgia, OSU, Michigan....etc?

Just curious. If you have absolutely no affiliation with any of these schools, why would our fan base draw you here compared to the other fan bases drawing you to them?

There's really no easy way to answer that question because it's entirely up to what matters most to each recruit, in my opinion.

Some recruits may value knowing that they're likely going to play in front of a sold out crowd every week. Some recruits may also enjoy showing up for a spring game, or a preseason game, and having fans who know them by name already and introduce themselves. We have had recruits in the past say they were blown away by our fan support. Hypothetically speaking, if a recruit went to a Texas and Nebraska game separately this past season, they would've seen a significant difference in attendance and atmosphere. That can be a selling point.

Then again, other recruits may not give a damn and just want to go the place that will help them reach the NFL the quickest or they may value other variables more highly.

There's really no easy way to answer that question because it's entirely up to what matters most to each recruit, in my opinion.

Some recruits may value knowing that they're likely going to play in front of a sold out crowd every week. Some recruits may also enjoy showing up for a spring game, or a preseason game, and having fans who know them by name already and introduce themselves. We have had recruits in the past say they were blown away by our fan support. Hypothetically speaking, if a recruit went to a Texas and Nebraska game separately this past season, they would've seen a significant difference in attendance and atmosphere. That can be a selling point.

Then again, other recruits may not give a damn and just want to go the place that will help them reach the NFL the quickest or they may value other variables more highly.

OK...I'll give you Texas this year because they suck....(and it makes me giggle).

However, if these kids go to a game at LSU, Ol Miss, Alabama, Auburn...etc. Their stadiums are packed with loud fans that follow their program as much as we do.

Heck, even Tennessee (which has had some bad years) averages more per game than we do even though they aren't sold out. Their fans are crazy for their program too.

OK...I'll give you Texas this year because they suck....(and it makes me giggle).

However, if these kids go to a game at LSU, Ol Miss, Alabama, Auburn...etc. Their stadiums are packed with loud fans that follow their program as much as we do.

True. From that perspective, there may not be a significant difference for the recruit. And, a day game recruit visit against a non-con bottom feeder definitely won't create the same atmosphere as a Top 25 matchup at night in primetime.

If I had been a division one football recruit, personally, I wouldn't have put a lot of weight one way or another into the fans. I care more about the coach and that relationship, how I may fit in with the players, my role on the team, the location, the ability for my parents to travel/see games, etc. Environment matters but not as much as other factors.

True. From that perspective, there may not be a significant difference for the recruit. And, a day game recruit visit against a non-con bottom feeder definitely won't create the same atmosphere as a Top 25 matchup at night in primetime.

If I had been a division one football recruit, personally, I wouldn't have put a lot of weight one way or another into the fans. I care more about the coach and that relationship, how I may fit in with the players, my role on the team, the location, the ability for my parents to travel/see games, etc. Environment matters but not as much as other factors.

That's kind of my point.

To me, our fan base is not the main reason why a recruit is going to come here. But, many fans use it as one of the top 2-3 reasons why we should be able to go out and get the best recruits we want.

I believe the fan base is going to simply be the cherry on top that might make the recruit say.."hey...that's cool". But, that's after he finds other things like you mentioned that has drawn him here.