Quality Control Assistant

Is it this Chase Haslett?

LINK

If Chase Haslett’s family name is any indication of what he brings to the football field, Indiana University of Pennsylvania could be in for a treat.

The son of IUP All-American and NFL Coach of the Year honoree Jim Haslett, Chase Haslett is set to transfer from the University of Illinois and jump right into the competition for the Crimson Hawks’ open quarterback position in 2014.

To his credit, he served as a backup for the Fighting Illini from 2012-13 after redshirting his freshman season, and the young signal-caller doesn’t want to be a star by association, but said he looks to build his own presence.

“Anybody who has a dad in the NFL or any other major sport will be recognized by their last name,” Haslett said. “People will be critical of things, but I just have to go out there and make a name for myself.”

Do people not know what graduate assistants are?

GA's don't get paid, instead they get a scholarship to take graduate classes at that school in order to work towards an advanced degree.

For that scholarship they put in 60 hours (or more) a week working for the coaching staff.

GA's are effectively grad students who are getting an internship for college level coaching.So of course most GA's are coaches kids or former players.. those are the people most likely trying to get into coaching.

• Fire 1

GA's don't get paid, instead they get a scholarship to take graduate classes at that school in order to work towards an advanced degree.

For that scholarship they put in 60 hours (or more) a week working for the coaching staff.

GA's are effectively grad students who are getting an internship for college level coaching.So of course most GA's are coaches kids or former players.. those are the people most likely trying to get into coaching.

It looks like he was hired as a Quality Control Asst, not as a Grad Asst so he will get a paycheck. If this is true it is a pretty crappy hire.

Is there any bigger nepotism racket than coaching a sport?

Please show how riley hiring this guy as a GA is nepotism.

Are they related or something?

He is using the term in a broad sense...Riley and Haseltts are buddies so there is the link. True nepotism, no, but clearly it is a sweet hook up and one that goes on in coaching all the time. I don't think he (or me) mean it in a bad way, it is just how it is in coaching as it is in many many areas of work.

It is not what you know...it is who you know!

He is using the term in a broad sense...Riley and Haseltts are buddies so there is the link. True nepotism, no, but clearly it is a sweet hook up and one that goes on in coaching all the time. I don't think he (or me) mean it in a bad way, it is just how it is in coaching as it is in many many areas of work.

Everyone hires people they know. Even the great savior Scott Frost hired people he knows from his days at Nebraska.

• Fire 1

It looks like he was hired as a Quality Control Asst, not as a Grad Asst so he will get a paycheck. If this is true it is a pretty crappy hire.

He's even lower on the totem pole than a GA then. GA's are able to coach during practices and you are limited to 4 of them. Quality Control guys aren't allowed to coach at all and you can hire as many as you want.

Basically they are the guys that prepare film cutups for scouting, print/edit playbooks, callsheets, practice cards and other computer work for the staff and stand around practice with a tablet tracking statistics.

Basically an office support staff position.

• Fire 1

Everyone hires people they know. Even the great savior Scott Frost hired people he knows from his days at Nebraska.

My comment wasn't taking a shot at Riley. It was just a broad sense of the sports world in that people will say "Well, this Haslett kid could be a good coach, his dad was a defensive coordinator and head coach in the NFL for a long time." I have never been asked in a job interview "How did your father's success prepare you for this job." My comment was just general commentary. I know there are people that have generations of lawyers or doctors or other professionals, but sports coaching takes it to another step IMO.

• Fire 1

Everyone is saying it is normal...it is just "super normal" in coaching.

You are freaking out over nothing. To quote me back in the 80's "Take a chill pill"

The guy was a college QB and his father has been a long time NFL coach. I am sure he has a pretty good base of knowledge of the game.

In addition, he is just a GA so lets just let him be that and worry about how good of a coach he might be someday when/if he actually becomes one

Again, I'm not trying to knock the guy or the hire. I was just making a general comment about the sports coaching profession.