NU Need for Solid Backup QB

The discussion about the possible transfer from Tulane coming to NU, and why Riley is even looking at him. I don't know if that Tulane kid is going to come to NU, let alone beat out Pat O'Brien in 2017. But, I think he could be a solid, veteran backup QB, even if he ends up with 1 year of eligibility. It got me thinking of how often NU has needed the backup QB over the past 10 years.

2006 - Zac Taylor started the whole season and didn't miss any games. Joe Ganz was pretty much a mop-up guy.

2007 - Sam Keller beats out Ganz for #1 job, but breaks his collarbone in 9th game against Texas. Ganz gets the start for last 3 games.

2008 - Ganz is the starter the entire season. I don't remember the backups playing much, other than Patrick Witt coming in for a series after Ganz is concussed against Clemson in the Gator Bowl.

2009 - Zac Lee is the starter at the beginning of the season. He is ineffective in a few games and was benched in favor of Cody Green. Green was not much better, and Lee comes back against OU and holds the job the rest of the way. NU was probably a good QB from winning the conference championship in 2009.

2010 - Taylor Martinez wins the job in fall camp and is amazing the first half of the season. However, a foot injury against Mizzou causes him to miss time and cuts into his speed and elusiveness. NU uses a lot of Rex Burkhead as a Wildcat QB.

2011 - Taylor Martinez is the clear starter and I don't remember him being injured for any part of the season. Backup QB's don't play much at all.

2012 - Repeat of 2011.

2013 - Martinez is injured early in the season, and misses a few games. He tries a comeback against Minnesota, but is put on the shelf for good after that loss. Armstrong and Kellogg split time as the main QB's the rest of the season.

2014 - Armstrong is the starter for the entire season and his backup isn't needed/used much at all.

2015 - Armstrong is the starter, but is forced to miss a game against Purdue. NU is unable to beat a crappy Purdue team with Ryker Fyfe. The defense was mostly to blame, but Riley had Fyfe throw the ball 50 times.

So, looking at the past 10 years there were 4 years ('07. '09, '10, '13) where the backup QB was forced to play a decent amount of time, and one more (2015) where the backup had to start and play a full game. I think getting a backup QB that is at least serviceable and not a huge drop off from the starter could be important for NU's success.

• Fire 1

I'm not trying to say we don't need a capable starter, but the backup shouldn't be ignored either. Simply put, we need more quality depth at QB.

Agreed. I'm not saying you don't have a point but the place to start with quality depth is in the number one position. POB may be the guy.....but what we have now and have had for quite a few years has been lacking in the starter category and really super sad in the backup positions. That would apply to most of the positions on the team as well. We just plain have to get better at getting talent in the door and then training them up or 8t will be the status quo for another 15.

I'm not trying to say we don't need a capable starter, but the backup shouldn't be ignored either. Simply put, we need more quality depth at QB.

Agreed. I'm not saying you don't have a point but the place to start with quality depth is in the number one position. POB may be the guy.....but what we have now and have had for quite a few years has been lacking in the starter category and really super sad in the backup positions. That would apply to most of the positions on the team as well. We just plain have to get better at getting talent in the door and then training them up or 8t will be the status quo for another 15.

Receiver is about the only position we don't immediately drop off. As you said in the bolded, depth has been a problem for years. Gotta get the kids in, coach em and get them game experience.

Not sure why they are even looking at the at the Tulane kid; he's not very good at all.

So he can be a backup to POB in 2017,

or even start if POB isn't as good as advertised. Yeah, NU would probably be screwed at that point, but someone has to take the snaps at QB, and we can't always count on the next incoming freshman to be "the man".