Discussion About Recruiting, Measurables and Other Misc. Topics That Don't Belong in Miller's Thread

Who here ever said they would prefer a 3* that is undersized and slow over a 4* that is big and fast? NOBODY. 6'3 245 is fine for a senior in hs and he won't be needed to play this year so he focus on adding weight. Our biggest need from last year was a good pass rushing d end. That's what he is.

It's the whole "star" debate thing. Many argue that "stars don't matter", since, you know, most of our recruits are 3*. Well, often times, the difference between the 4 and 3* guys is that the former is bigger and faster. I've had fans argue me all day that a 4.7 40 in an RB or WR or CB is "just fine". I just have to push back, I guess.

Rex Burkhead says hello

Did Rex ever out run anybody? Not so much.
No but he certainly ran through them

Thought we were talking speed, no? Yeah, no one would deny that Rex his shake and bake. Still not starting for Cinci, though.

We are talking college football not the NFL...Didn't know in order to be a great player for NU you have to be a starter in the NFL

Who here ever said they would prefer a 3* that is undersized and slow over a 4* that is big and fast? NOBODY. 6'3 245 is fine for a senior in hs and he won't be needed to play this year so he focus on adding weight. Our biggest need from last year was a good pass rushing d end. That's what he is.

It's the whole "star" debate thing. Many argue that "stars don't matter", since, you know, most of our recruits are 3*. Well, often times, the difference between the 4 and 3* guys is that the former is bigger and faster. I've had fans argue me all day that a 4.7 40 in an RB or WR or CB is "just fine". I just have to push back, I guess.

Rex Burkhead says hello

Thought we were talking speed, no? Yeah, no one would deny that Rex his shake and bake. Still not starting for Cinci, though.

I don't see what he's doing at Cincy has any bearing at what he did at NU. I don't care about what they do in the NFL.

Rex Burkhead says hello

So you saying Rex wasn't a great back?

Probably not. I'd said he is very good. The knee injury seemed to have dampened his potential. Still 2nd or 3rd stringer @ Cinci. So no, not "great".

I've had fans argue me all day that a 4.7 40 in an RB or WR or CB is "just fine".

It has nothing to do with whether a 4.7 or 4.4 is a good score or not. It has to do with how useless the 40 is as a predictive metric in football. Here's a trick I use for estimating the reliability of 40-yard dash times into football production: replace "runs a x.xx 40-yard dash" with "scores a x.xx at hop scotch".

I still don't have any issue with his size. He's 6'3 245. If he can get to 260-270, that's enough size. I don't like it when the DE's are 280+, because I would rather have fast DE's, chasing down the QB. Yes, O-linemen are getting bigger, but against the run, most DE's are asked to hold their ground and occupy blocker(s) and free up the LB's and safeties to make the tackles.

That's the main reason why one would want the bigger size, right? Seriously, the "new normal" linemen these days is ~300lb, ripped, athletic, and can run, like that Nkemdiche guy. That's the way it's going as far as I can tell--if you want to be a contender, that is. Leonard Williams, 6'5", 291, remember him?

Which DE's have given Nebraska OT's more trouble?? Speed Rushers my friend

That's what I would love to see us get back to.....guys that can just run and get after the QB

Leonard Williams is a big speed rusher. Same with Bosa. I think that's the way it's going these days, they have to be big--and fast. I'm sure if we got a guy like that, nobody would be complaining.

Corn, I get what you are saying. I think we all wouldn't be complaining about a guy who is 6'6 270 lbs and can fly all over the field. Those can be hard to come by, but it would be great if our coaches are able to recruit a guy like that.

But, for you to say that Miller isn't a good recruit because he's too small at 6'3 and 240 lbs as a high school senior is simply misguided IMO. Maybe Miller isn't a highly regarded recruit because he is considered "short" for a DE. But, let the guy get on campus and have him play some snaps before we start saying this kid isn't a good enough recruit for a DE.

My first impression was based on the listing of 6'3", 230, which is LB size. Ok, upon review, 6'3" isn't necessarily out of the ordinary, though I would prefer taller. Now, I am told, he is 245. If he can get up to 260 minimum, I can live with it, if he can play, that is.

As to the bigger, taller guys, they are out there, just being snagged by other schools. We need to get some of those guys.

How did Wiscy get this KS kid away from us?

DE
Howard, KS West Elk
3 stars
6'7"

Anyway, list of top 20 DEs:

https://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-3525

As sad as it may seem not every Kid that lives in Nebraska or surrounding states want to go to Neb. Kinda like here in Houston. We have the talent in Houston and the schools inside of a 150 mile radius to make UofH a power house. But they leave and go else where. Wish they would stay and build but they all have dreams and favorite teams of their own.

6'7 285 would be a nice addition no doubt.

I've had fans argue me all day that a 4.7 40 in an RB or WR or CB is "just fine".

It has nothing to do with whether a 4.7 or 4.4 is a good score or not. It has to do with how useless the 40 is as a predictive metric in football. Here's a trick I use for estimating the reliability of 40-yard dash times into football production: replace "runs a x.xx 40-yard dash" with "scores a x.xx at hop scotch".

Curtis Cotton was probably the greatest athlete ever to play football at NU. He had the highest performance index scoring that was ever measured. He barely saw the field, because he couldn't translate that crazy speed and athleticism into being a football player. Some can, some can't.

Rex Burkhead says hello

I don't see what he's doing at Cincy has any bearing at what he did at NU. I don't care about what they do in the NFL.

Oh, ok. Most of the folk here were generalizing to the NFL also. Rex was a very good back @ NU with alot of shifty moves, decent speed, and sustained an injury which hurt his potential. He is now a b/u RB @ Cinci. That's what I can say about Rex.

I say b.s. to that. I've heard that argument before. T Newby is listed as a solid 4.4 40, though has clocked @ 4.3. Ozigbo ~4.7. It is clear, on the field, that the former is faster, hits the hole faster than the latter. Not saying that Newby is a better back, he isn't, I prefer Ozigbo on the ground and pound, but given a seam, Newby can take it to the house whereas Ozigbo most of the time won't.

I still don't have any issue with his size. He's 6'3 245. If he can get to 260-270, that's enough size. I don't like it when the DE's are 280+, because I would rather have fast DE's, chasing down the QB. Yes, O-linemen are getting bigger, but against the run, most DE's are asked to hold their ground and occupy blocker(s) and free up the LB's and safeties to make the tackles.

That's the main reason why one would want the bigger size, right? Seriously, the "new normal" linemen these days is ~300lb, ripped, athletic, and can run, like that Nkemdiche guy. That's the way it's going as far as I can tell--if you want to be a contender, that is. Leonard Williams, 6'5", 291, remember him?

Which DE's have given Nebraska OT's more trouble?? Speed Rushers my friend

That's what I would love to see us get back to.....guys that can just run and get after the QB

Leonard Williams is a big speed rusher. Same with Bosa. I think that's the way it's going these days, they have to be big--and fast. I'm sure if we got a guy like that, nobody would be complaining.

Corn, I get what you are saying. I think we all wouldn't be complaining about a guy who is 6'6 270 lbs and can fly all over the field. Those can be hard to come by, but it would be great if our coaches are able to recruit a guy like that.

But, for you to say that Miller isn't a good recruit because he's too small at 6'3 and 240 lbs as a high school senior is simply misguided IMO. Maybe Miller isn't a highly regarded recruit because he is considered "short" for a DE. But, let the guy get on campus and have him play some snaps before we start saying this kid isn't a good enough recruit for a DE.

My first impression was based on the listing of 6'3", 230, which is LB size. Ok, upon review, 6'3" isn't necessarily out of the ordinary, though I would prefer taller. Now, I am told, he is 245. If he can get up to 260 minimum, I can live with it, if he can play, that is.

As to the bigger, taller guys, they are out there, just being snagged by other schools. We need to get some of those guys.

How did Wiscy get this KS kid away from us?

DE
Howard, KS West Elk
3 stars
6'7"

Anyway, list of top 20 DEs:

https://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-3525

As sad as it may seem not every Kid that lives in Nebraska or surrounding states want to go to Neb. Kinda like here in Houston. We have the talent in Houston and the schools inside of a 150 mile radius to make UofH a power house. But they leave and go else where. Wish they would stay and build but they all have dreams and favorite teams of their own.

6'7 285 would be a nice addition no doubt.

Houston is in the top 5 for CFB recruiting talent in the country, I've heard, and I think Herman will be getting more of it to stay @ UH.

I say b.s. to that. I've heard that argument before. T Newby is listed as a solid 4.4 40, though has clocked @ 4.3. Ozigbo ~4.7. It is clear, on the field, that the former is faster, hits the hole faster than the latter. Not saying that Newby is a better back, he isn't, I prefer Ozigbo on the ground and pound, but given a seam, Newby can take it to the house whereas Ozigbo most of the time won't.

It seems like that would be the case, the problem lies in how running in a straight line with no pads translates to hitting a seam and taking it to the house. And learning how to start ("get out of the blocks" in track parlance) can affect the 40 time by 0.3 seconds, so there's another way the 40 fails as a metric especially for RB's.

How many long runs does Newby even have? One? Imani Cross has more long runs than Newby, which shouldn't be the case if 40 time actually translated to the field well.

But whatever, believe what you want.

It seems like that would be the case, the problem lies in how running in a straight line with no pads translates to hitting a seam and taking it to the house. And learning how to start ("get out of the blocks" in track parlance) can affect the 40 time by 0.3 seconds, so there's another way the 40 fails as a metric especially for RB's.

How many long runs does Newby even have? One? Imani Cross has more long runs than Newby, which shouldn't be the case if 40 time actually translated to the field well.

But whatever, believe what you want.

Newby had that long one vs Minny this year since he had a hole on the edge wide as a dump truck--went untouched. Cross had 2-3 long TD runs in his career, basically broke thru the 1st level and luckily no one was there on the 2nd level. Newby gets there faster. If Newby could break tackles and had moves like Ameer, he'd be something, but he doesn't so he's not.

Rex Burkhead says hello

So you saying Rex wasn't a great back?

Probably not. I'd said he is very good. The knee injury seemed to have dampened his potential. Still 2nd or 3rd stringer @ Cinci. So no, not "great".

So Tommy Frazier must not have been a good QB since he didn't do anything in the NFL

I know it's not the cool thing to say around here. But, our O line was good enough to make our RBs look good. Yes, they were good to great RBs. But, when we have an RB that leads the nation in yards before contact, he's not doing it in spite of a bad O line.

The combination of a good O line run blocking and good RBs is what made our these guys shine.

• Fire 2