OWH: Can Nebraska Be Nebraska Again?

Mavric

short answer is: no. we will never replicate the success we had in the 90s. Fans need to let that go, and I think most have.

We could do it again... but not with the people we have running the program now (with the exception of Boyd Epley).

It will take a complete and total regime change... from top to bottom.

I disagree. Even if we had Nick Saban & Co. I don't think we would be able to win 3 titles in 4 years. What Saban is doing in the south cant be "copied and pasted" to Lincoln, NE this day and age.

You're wrong.

Success in college football has nothing to do with location ( as evidenced by Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne).

It has to do with coaching, recruiting and commitment.

Hasn't recruiting been shown to be highly dependent on location?

short answer is: no. we will never replicate the success we had in the 90s. Fans need to let that go, and I think most have.

We could do it again... but not with the people we have running the program now (with the exception of Boyd Epley).

I disagree. Even if we had Nick Saban & Co. I don't think we would be able to win 3 titles in 4 years. What Saban is doing in the south cant be "copied and pasted" to Lincoln, NE this day and age.

You're wrong.

Success in college football has nothing to do with location ( as evidenced by Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne).

No

Elite players follow great coaches, wherever they're at.

You're wrong.

No

disagree. coaches go to the institutions that draw the players. why texas, ohio state, etc. can hand pick their coach every year.

Urban Meyer wasnt going to win a title at Bowling Green, was he?

He probably wasn't going to win one at Notre Dumb either, so he passed on his "dream" job to go to Florida where he had a championship roster just waiting for him. He did the same thing at Ohio State. Urb's only going to go where they already have a championship roster in place. Saban is the one that rebuilds dynasties.

states where last 20 national title winners have come from:

Alabama

Ohio

Florida

Alabama

Alabama

Alabama

Alabama

Florida

Louisiana

Florida

Texas

California

California

Louisiana

Ohio

Florida

Oklahoma

Florida

Tennessee

Nebraska

You think it is a coincidence that only two of those states are in the midwest, one of which being Ohio and the other being the last year of a dynastic that is now dead?

You forgot Oklahoma.

Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma prove you wrong. Those 3 teams have won a combined total of around 21 national championships in football.

Elite players follow elite coaches. That Alabama would have such a large number of those championships is not because of their location it's because they've had an elite coaches.

Alabama

Ohio

Florida

Alabama

Alabama

Alabama

Alabama

Florida

Louisiana

Florida

Texas

California

California

Louisiana

Ohio

Florida

Oklahoma

Florida

Tennessee

Nebraska

You think it is a coincidence that only two of those states are in the midwest, one of which being Ohio and the other being the last year of a dynastic that is now dead?

You forgot Oklahoma.

Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma prove you wrong. Those 3 teams have won a combined total of around 21 national championships in football.

Elite players follow elite coaches. That Alabama would have such a large number of those championships is not because of their location it's because they've had an elite coaches.

Only Oklahoma and Nebraska are not in recruiting hotbeds. Ohio is among the top states for D1 football players produced.

Well, short of Urbs or Saban, not sure there are any coaches out there that are as good or better than Riley. Of course, we'll have to wait for a larger sample size of Riley & Co., but I remain optimistic.

That's absurd. You're living in a dream world.

Tom Herman and Houston... this year... Bob Stoops at Oklahoma... Harbaugh... and the list goes on.

What's your agenda for making absurd claims like that ?

Alabama

Ohio

Florida

Alabama

Alabama

Alabama

Alabama

Florida

Louisiana

Florida

Texas

California

California

Louisiana

Ohio

Florida

Oklahoma

Florida

Tennessee

Nebraska

You forgot Oklahoma.

Only Oklahoma and Nebraska are not in recruiting hotbeds. Ohio is among the top states for D1 football players produced.

You're just wrong and wont admit it.

Oklahoma and Nebraska have 13 national titles = FACT.

Your just making excuses. Why would you do that ?

It will take a complete regime change for Nebraska to get back to elite level football.

You're wrong.

No

disagree. coaches go to the institutions that draw the players. why texas, ohio state, etc. can hand pick their coach every year.

He probably wasn't going to win one at Notre Dumb either, so he passed on his "dream" job to go to Florida where he had a championship roster just waiting for him. He did the same thing at Ohio State. Urb's only going to go where they already have a championship roster in place. Saban is the one that rebuilds dynasties.

Disagree. ND has been to a title game within the last 5 years. Urban runs circles around BK, like we just saw. Even if i agree, which i dont, Saban could still only accomplish that goal in recruiting haven's Lousiana and Alabama. Not in NFL nor MSU, or anywhere else.

Notre Dumb offered Urb the exact same year Florida offered. He even said Notre Dumb was his dream job. He rejected them for a roster that was absolutely stacked. Urb retires due to "health" reasons once the wheels fell off at Florida only to accept the Ohio State job a while later where the roster was absolutely stacked.

How do you figure Saban could only do it at Bama or LSU? He could easily do it at Texas, Georgia, three of the Florida programs, a couple of the California programs, etc. There are a lot of recruiting havens out there and a lot of college football programs in those. From what I understand, Saban didn't have player authority while in the NFL. It's kind of hard to get the talent you need or want when it's out of your control.

Well, short of Urbs or Saban, not sure there are any coaches out there that are as good or better than Riley. Of course, we'll have to wait for a larger sample size of Riley & Co., but I remain optimistic.

Tom Herman and Houston... this year.

Really, is that your only example? Need more of a sample size on Hermen. Houston is a hotbed for recruiting as well.

Tom Herman and Houston... this year.

Really, is that your only example? Need more of a sample size on Hermen. Houston is a hotbed for recruiting as well.

Bob Stoops at Oklahoma... Harbaugh... Dabo Swinney Clemson... David Shaw Stanford...and the list could go on forever.

What is your agenda for making absurd claims like that ?

Alabama

Ohio

Florida

Alabama

Alabama

Alabama

Alabama

Florida

Louisiana

Florida

Texas

California

California

Louisiana

Ohio

Florida

Oklahoma

Florida

Tennessee

Nebraska

You forgot Oklahoma.

You're wrong.

No

Disagree. ND has been to a title game within the last 5 years. Urban runs circles around BK, like we just saw. Even if i agree, which i dont, Saban could still only accomplish that goal in recruiting haven's Lousiana and Alabama. Not in NFL nor MSU, or anywhere else.

Notre Dumb offered Urb the exact same year Florida offered. He even said Notre Dumb was his dream job. He rejected them for a roster that was absolutely stacked. Urb retires due to "health" reasons once the wheels fell off at Florida only to accept the Ohio State job a while later where the roster was absolutely stacked.

How do you figure Saban could only do it at Bama or LSU? He could easily do it at Texas, Georgia, three of the Florida programs, a couple of the California programs, etc. There are a lot of recruiting havens out there and a lot of college football programs in those. From what I understand, Saban didn't have player authority while in the NFL. It's kind of hard to get the talent you need or want when it's out of your control.

Thats my exact point. Tougher to do it in Michigan, not so much in Alabama, Louisiana, California, Texas, etc.

I don't disagree with your point, but there are literally 20-30 programs or maybe more that fit into where Saban could duplicate what he's doing at Bama. It's because of this that I highly doubt Frost if he's wildly successful at UCF ever finds his way to the sideline in Lincoln, NE again. With the big money being thrown around in college football, the best coaches get to call their shot. Big bad Texas all but got on their hands and knees for Saban, but he got to call his shot. It's got to the point where now throwing millions a coach's way just isn't enough.

Alabama

Ohio

Florida

Alabama

Alabama

Alabama

Alabama

Florida

Louisiana

Florida

Texas

California

California

Louisiana

Ohio

Florida

Oklahoma

Florida

Tennessee

Nebraska

You forgot Oklahoma.

Oklahoma isn't close to a recruiting hotbed?

190 miles to Dallas.