OWH: Can Nebraska Be Nebraska Again?

Mavric

Turn on the TV and you see a sold out stadium. Sellout streak gets mentioned. Gameday atmosphere remains the same.

I know we sell out but when I turn on the TV i see plenty of seats up top that are empty. Maybe they just havent made it to their seat yet or hey maybe some one just bought out the tickets to make sure its sold out.

No reason why we can't get to winning the division 3 out of 5 years, the conference 3 out of 10 years and the Natty once every 10-15 years. That would be my definition of success @ NU. Maybe we get lucky someday and reel in a big time difference maker, like @ QB(think, Tommie Frazier), to put us over the top.

These are pretty close to in line with my expectations.

I'd go 4 in 7 div titles

3 in 10 conference

1 in 20 NC, but not winning an NC wouldn't be cause for firing.

Maybe add 1 in 6 or 7, a playoff berth.

Note that to actually gauge this, we should realize that the results will come in rushes,not in regular intervals.

• Fire 1

Turn on the TV and you see a sold out stadium. Sellout streak gets mentioned. Gameday atmosphere remains the same.

I know we sell out but when I turn on the TV i see plenty of seats up top that are empty. Maybe they just havent made it to their seat yet or hey maybe some one just bought out the tickets to make sure its sold out.

First of all, the student section may be completely sold out and that many kids at the game, but they might all squish down lower into those rows leaving some empty at the top.

Also, depending on when in the game you are viewing. Some people may leave early which causes some seats to be vacant especially if the weather is bad.

Truth is, most of the advantages Big Red had 20-40 years ago no longer exist — and they haven’t been replaced by anything.

Winning? Nope. The last time NU won a conference title, these recruits were in diapers.

Exposure? Nope. Everybody’s on TV now.

Facilities? Nope. Everybody has an indoor practice facility now.

Schedule? Nope. The Big Ten West doesn’t impress anybody.

Weather? OK, that was never an advantage, but it certainly hasn’t gotten easier.

Strength and conditioning? Nope. Everybody’s serious about it now.

Coaching continuity? Nope. It’s a new staff.

Scheme? Nope. It’s basically just like everybody else’s. The I-back and O-line aren’t showcase positions anymore.

Brand? Nope. The “N” has lost its allure.

So why? How the heck is this ever gonna work again?

OWH

Does anyone else find it a bit ironic about not having any of the advantages we had 20-40 years ago, yet it still took TO over two decades to win a NC? I only point this out because maybe just maybe the OWH isn't digging deep enough. We all know head injuries and such have been brought front and center. Doesn't NU have one of the absolute best sports and science departments in the country?

In 2013, a 50,000 square-foot East Memorial Stadium expansion brought together researchers from the Nebraska Athletic Performance Laboratory (NAPL) and UNL’s Center for Brain, Biology and Behavior (CB3). Each research center is more than 20,000 square feet. Both are connected by a bridge located inside Nebraska’s football stadium. The NAPL is believed to be the first in-stadium, on-campus research center directed by a collegiate department of athletics. Both research centers work collaboratively to expand understanding of performance, safety, brain function, health and long-term well-being that benefits student-athletes, the military and society.

Maybe, just maybe we're finding new advantages. I've got to think this is a huge advantage especially when dealing with the parents and families of recruits.

Every single national champion in the last 10 years has recruited an ESPN Top 10 class the year prior to winning a national championship. So, recent history says that unless you recruit at an elite level then you aren't going to win a title. That does not mean it will always be that way or has to be that way, but it is a very interesting trend.

To break that trend at Nebraska, a place that I don't personally believe can continually haul in Top 10 classes, it will require transcendent coaching. I think Nebraska will also need to haul in a Top 10 class again at some point, or one at least very close to Top 10. Similar to what cm said, I think it will take either elite coaching and great recruiting or elite recruiting with great coaching. I believe the former is more likely at Nebraska.

I also personally believe Nebraska will not return to national prominence until their style of offense reflects their location more accurately. The 500 mile radius rule in Nebraska is not what it's like in the southeast. That means Nebraska should be a run-based team that relies on strong offensive linemen (which we can find plenty of in the Midwest) who then extends its branches into other states to bring in the great skill position players. I don't believe Nebraska can consistently compete at a top level using an offense that favors passing.

Why not? NU won a pair of national titles with a pro style offense and pocket passers like Dave Humm and Vince Ferragamo.

*Edit* ok, Those two QBs didn't win the title, but they did play in Osborne's pro style offense and both went on to NFL careers.

Every single national champion in the last 10 years has recruited an ESPN Top 10 class the year prior to winning a national championship. So, recent history says that unless you recruit at an elite level then you aren't going to win a title. That does not mean it will always be that way or has to be that way, but it is a very interesting trend.

To break that trend at Nebraska, a place that I don't personally believe can continually haul in Top 10 classes, it will require transcendent coaching. I think Nebraska will also need to haul in a Top 10 class again at some point, or one at least very close to Top 10. Similar to what cm said, I think it will take either elite coaching and great recruiting or elite recruiting with great coaching. I believe the former is more likely at Nebraska.

I also personally believe Nebraska will not return to national prominence until their style of offense reflects their location more accurately. The 500 mile radius rule in Nebraska is not what it's like in the southeast. That means Nebraska should be a run-based team that relies on strong offensive linemen (which we can find plenty of in the Midwest) who then extends its branches into other states to bring in the great skill position players. I don't believe Nebraska can consistently compete at a top level using an offense that favors passing.

Why not? NU won a pair of national titles with a pro style offense and pocket passers like Dave Humm and Vince Ferragamo.

Not. Neither Ferragamo nor Humm won us an NC. Humm was a b/u QB on the '71 NC team behind Tagge. Ferragamo got there in '74, I think. NU was primarily a running team under Devaney.

Not. Neither Ferragamo nor Humm won us an NC. Humm was a b/u QB on the '71 NC team behind Tagge. Ferragamo got there in '74, I think. NU was primarily a running team under Devaney.

Worded poorly, check the edit.

Tagge is another qb that got drafted out of Osborne's pro style offense. Humm was a back up in the NFL for quite a number of years as well.

Worded poorly, check the edit.

Tagge is another qb that got drafted out of Osborne's pro style offense. Humm was a back up in the NFL for quite a number of years as well.

Not sure Devaneys I formation O was "pro style" persay, but yeah, Humm and Vince were when Oz started experimenting with "Air Huskers".

short answer is: no. we will never replicate the success we had in the 90s. Fans need to let that go, and I think most have.

We could do it again... but not with the people we have running the program now (with the exception of Boyd Epley).

It will take a complete and total regime change... from top to bottom.

I disagree. Even if we had Nick Saban & Co. I don't think we would be able to win 3 titles in 4 years. What Saban is doing in the south cant be "copied and pasted" to Lincoln, NE this day and age.

You're wrong.

Success in college football has nothing to do with location ( as evidenced by Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne).

It has to do with coaching, recruiting and commitment.

short answer is: no. we will never replicate the success we had in the 90s. Fans need to let that go, and I think most have.

We could do it again... but not with the people we have running the program now (with the exception of Boyd Epley).

It will take a complete and total regime change... from top to bottom.

I disagree. Even if we had Nick Saban & Co. I don't think we would be able to win 3 titles in 4 years. What Saban is doing in the south cant be "copied and pasted" to Lincoln, NE this day and age.

You're wrong.

Success in college football has nothing to do with location. It has to do with coaching, recruiting and commitment.

you're wrong. It matters quite a bit.

It didn't matter to Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne.

And in case you hadn't noticed... Nebraska is in the exact same location now as it was when they were coaching.

It's all about coaching, recruiting and commitment.