Grindle Leaving Huskers for Brewers

Mavric

What a job. I would love to call baseball games.

I would be a cool job, but also would be such a hard job every night. You never know if it's going to be a close game or blowout, and there is so much down time in the game. I have always had a fondness for listening to baseball games on the radio though. The best announcers are story-tellers each night.

I did a little bit of sports radio work in college and calling baseball games were the most challenging - not due to describing the action, but due to finding a way to fill the time without being repetitive or boring.

In television/radio sports broadcasting, good broadcasters always prepare something called a "Blowout List" which are topics to discuss if the game gets out of hand. Baseball, in essence, is just one big collection of blowout list topics.

But, that's where I 100% agree with you - listening to a radio baseball game is my favorite unless I can be at the ballpark, particularly when it's done by a true story teller. I always liked Pat Hughes, and guys like Uecker and Scully... they make make it all seem so effortless and easy, but that's the mark of a true great.

I would be a cool job, but also would be such a hard job every night. You never know if it's going to be a close game or blowout, and there is so much down time in the game. I have always had a fondness for listening to baseball games on the radio though. The best announcers are story-tellers each night.

I did a little bit of sports radio work in college and calling baseball games were the most challenging - not due to describing the action, but due to finding a way to fill the time without being repetitive or boring.

In television/radio sports broadcasting, good broadcasters always prepare something called a "Blowout List" which are topics to discuss if the game gets out of hand. Baseball, in essence, is just one big collection of blowout list topics.

But, that's where I 100% agree with you - listening to a radio baseball game is my favorite unless I can be at the ballpark, particularly when it's done by a true story teller. I always liked Pat Hughes, and guys like Uecker and Scully... they make make it all seem so effortless and easy, but that's the mark of a true great.

As opposed to poor football announcers who will talk about their lost luggage DURING A DRIVE. I especial HATE the third quarter interview on the sideline with some celebrity WHILE SEVERAL PLAYS ARE GOING ON. If they feel an interview is necessary, do it during a commercial time out.

I love listening to a baseball game on the radio. A really good team of broadcasters are able to basically have a conversation about the game and what is going on. Through that, they paint a very good picture for the listener and they also can teach about the game.

Pat Hughes and Ron Santo were awesome with that. Pat did a great job of play by play and Ron was so emotionally tied to the Cubs and had so much knowledge that he was great as a color guy.

Kansas city's Rex Hudler is hysterical to listen to no cant tell if he's a genius or dumb as coal but he is always entertaining.

The Hudman is great, only if he announces for your team. If he doesn't he's annoying. But, I'm a Royals fan, so I think he's great.

It's kinda like Hawk Harrelson for the White Sox. I can't stand the guy and his announcing, but Sox fans love him.