Spring Position Battles - Cornerbacks

Mavric

Uhhhhh.......... :confucius

Lee said one change the corners have made this spring is that they're playing less press coverage this year. Instead, they're alternating between press and soft coverages to keep receivers guessing.

Last year they were a primarily press coverage team.

LJS

Lee said one change the corners have made this spring is that they're playing less press coverage this year. Instead, they're alternating between press and soft coverages to keep receivers guessing.

LJS

Maybe it is selective bias, but it seems like we hardly ever pressed last year. I vividly remember the Wisconsin game playing 10 yards off their crappy receivers.

So with Jones out the rest of the Spring, I saw we only have 4 corners now? Kalu, Lee, Joesph, and ???

Charles Jackson? Aaron Williams has been playing the nickel so I don't know if that's counting him as a corner. I wonder how they're going to do the spring game with such a low number.

I'm sure there are some walk-ons that can easily play in the spring game and would greatly appreciate the time on the field.

LJS

Maybe it is selective bias, but it seems like we hardly ever pressed last year. I vividly remember the Wisconsin game playing 10 yards off their crappy receivers.

That was my issue last year. In true quarters, one must press the receivers. We appeared to leave that part out. I would ASSume it means that we will run quarters coverage and other variants. Not quarters with soft coverage. Kind of like this defense is so much easier. All most like HS.....

• 2 weeks later...

OWH Spring Standouts

Cornerback Charles Jackson: Healthy at last, Jackson never gave up on being a contributor in Nebraska's secondary. He's got a real chance of playing major snaps next season as a fifth-year senior.

Cornerback Joshua Kalu: He's put on weight and he's talking to the media again. Kalu, with renewed focus, looks like the All-Big Ten corner that his 6-foot-1 frame should allow him to be.

Cornerback Eric Lee: Nebraska seems settled in its top two cornerbacks, Joshua Kalu and Chris Jones, but Lee is making his move, and could be the team's No. 3 corner in the fall. Lee showed good closing speed and coverage skills.