Blackshirts Looking to Reduce Big Plays

Not running nearly as much Quarters coverage would be a good start...

Would agree with the quarters coverage. Seems we dropped it some as the season progressed. Gerry, IIRC, also said that midway through the season, guys were reverting back to the old schemes/techniques and it hurt the team. Duh.

I think we are still a class or 2 away from having the bigger DB's needed to press cover in a more traditional quarters coverage.

Comments are positive (as spring always is) about Banker taking over safeties. Hopefully that will show on the field. Getting the DL to get up field, set the edge and pressure will be a huge start as well.

Why can some teams be successful with quarter's coverage but we can't and don't want it here?

We dont have the personnel yet to be effective with it as our base. We have not recruited the type of athletes in the back end to play exclusively quarters. When Mich St was an elite defense the past few years they had 2 top round CB's and 2 safeties that covered like corners and hit like LB's. Last year they didnt have any lock down CB's and their safeties were suspect at best and teams made a living making them cover 1 on 1. We took advantage of Mich st safeties covering our best WR's. To be a quarters team you must be extremely talented on the back end and have 2 DE's that make the ball come out of the QB's hands quickly. We dont have the talent on the back end or the pass rush yet.

• Fire 6

Why can some teams be successful with quarter's coverage but we can't and don't want it here?

We dont have the personnel yet to be effective with it as our base. We have not recruited the type of athletes in the back end to play exclusively quarters. When Mich St was an elite defense the past few years they had 2 top round CB's and 2 safeties that covered like corners and hit like LB's. Last year they didnt have any lock down CB's and their safeties were suspect at best and teams made a living making them cover 1 on 1. We took advantage of Mich st safeties covering our best WR's. To be a quarters team you must be extremely talented on the back end and have 2 DE's that make the ball come out of the QB's hands quickly. We dont have the talent on the back end or the pass rush yet.

I agree with your entire statement, however teams have to have a system and coach whatever talent they have to play that system to the best of their ability. a team can't change systems every two years to fit the current best players on the team. It is also hard to recruit a kid and say we will start doing it this way when YOU get here, however we don't do it that way now - but we will.

So...it isn't that people don't like quarters coverage. They would be fine with it if and when we get the personnel to run it.

I'm fine with that attitude if that truly is what people are feeling.

I was getting the feeling that people simply think that it's a horrible scheme and we shouldn't run it.

PS....I think we are improving in the personnel area. Lee, Anderson, Dismuke and Jackson could very well be those types of players.

• Fire 1

I agree with your entire statement, however teams have to have a system and coach whatever talent they have to play that system to the best of their ability. a team can't change systems every two years to fit the current best players on the team. It is also hard to recruit a kid and say we will start doing it this way when YOU get here, however we don't do it that way now - but we will.

True. But you have to modify and tweak your system to fit your personnel. You can still teach and use quarters but you will have to mix up coverages a little more, and disguise some things on your pre-snap look. Early in the season it didnt seem like we were mixing up our coverages very much and teams took advantage of that. With a lack of a pass rush we had to burn a backer and blitz a little more than they probably wanted to last year. Just have to adjust to what you have and what gives you the best chance to win.

True. But you have to modify and tweak your system to fit your personnel. You can still teach and use quarters but you will have to mix up coverages a little more, and disguise some things on your pre-snap look. Early in the season it didnt seem like we were mixing up our coverages very much and teams took advantage of that. With a lack of a pass rush we had to burn a backer and blitz a little more than they probably wanted to last year. Just have to adjust to what you have and what gives you the best chance to win.

All is true. Coaches that know their system and know their personnel should be able to handle those small tweaks. As long as the tweaks aren't major systematic changes the recruits should be able to see the plan going forward. I think these guys will make big steps in all these areas this year (selling recruits / knowing how current players can be used / making their system work in the big ten with our fall weather).

• Fire 1

MSU also played press coverage like 95% of the time. As you mentioned, personnel is key. You need bigger strong corners who can play man. A DL who can get after the QB.

Nate made a statement this week that last year guys went back to the "old scheme" a times and it means stuff up.

All 11 guys pulling the same way also helps....

I love the concept of quarters coverage. With the right personnel it's great. I really like Seattles coverage schemes.

Gotta get the guys and the wins will come.

MSU also played press coverage like 95% of the time. As you mentioned, personnel is key. You need bigger strong corners who can play man. A DL who can get after the QB.

Nate made a statement this week that last year guys went back to the "old scheme" a times and it means stuff up.

I love the concept of quarters coverage. With the right personnel it's great. I really like Seattles coverage schemes.

Agree with this sentiment.

Our corners were solid towards the end of the year, but I'm not sold that they can be successful in this scheme. They are essentially left on an island every play, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find many teams in the nation with a talented enough secondary to pull off having their corners play what is essentially man every play and not get beat a few times a game. I think our safetys last year were horrible fits for this system as well, they seemed like linebackers. Cockrell didn't seem to have the athleticism to consistently cover WR's one on one, and Gerry is a robot. The guy looks like a linebacker when having to move laterally, I think he was so successful in the previous scheme because he basically roamed and never had to cover in space. I personally think Gerry would be better suited as an OLB who covers TE's and RB's, I just don't think he can cover WR's.

I think recent recruiting in the secondary is promising, but I'm still skeptical that our defense will be any better on the back end any time soon. I'm hopeful, but skeptical.

MSU also played press coverage like 95% of the time.

This is what is puzzling. We had guys used to playing press coverage (though with different coverage behind them). It's like we took one key to what makes Quarters coverage work and completely ignored it. That's why saying "other teams make it work" isn't much of an argument. "Quarters" - like most anything - is pretty generic. There are a lot of different ways to play any coverage. Other teams that make it work may do things differently - like the press coverage that MSU used. The way we ran it last year made it way to easy for opponents to figure everything out and find a weakness.

I know you know this, but it helps to have guys like Richard Sherman to run it.

I think your second paragraph is very important not to ignor.

It's pretty difficult to judge someone's physical ability to play a certain type of position in a transition year like last year.

MSU also played press coverage like 95% of the time.

This is what is puzzling. We had guys used to playing press coverage (though with different coverage behind them). It's like we took one key to what makes Quarters coverage work and completely ignored it. That's why saying "other teams make it work" isn't much of an argument. "Quarters" - like most anything - is pretty generic. There are a lot of different ways to play any coverage. Other teams that make it work may do things differently - like the press coverage that MSU used. The way we ran it last year made it way to easy for opponents to figure everything out and find a weakness.

I know you know this, but it helps to have guys like Richard Sherman to run it.

No doubt. Elite DB's help. I just like the concept, but as you noted it takes some serious talent.