Athletic Department under review

Redux

Eichorst approaches the AD (department and director job) from a very business-like perspective, where a lot of administrators from the state and longer tenured coaches want it to be more like friends and family dynamic, imo. Eichorst wants to be hands off, wants to do his job well and let others do their jobs well, and I can see how that can frustrate people with a different philosophy or perspective but there's hardly anything worth getting actually upset about or thinking he should be fired.

this may be nothing, but these types of inquires seldom happen when the ship is steaming full speed ahead.......i doubt this guy climbed out of bed one morning after scratching his nuts, and decided to investigate the culture and working of our athletic program.......he seems a little deeper than that.

• Fire 2

this may be nothing, but these types of inquires seldom happen when the ship is steaming full speed ahead.......i doubt this guy climbed out of bed one morning after scratching his nuts, and decided to investigate the culture and working of our athletic program.......he seems a little deeper than that.

Or maybe he just started his job last year? It couldn't have anything to do with that, right? As far as I know he doesn't have experience with athletic departments before now and suddenly he's working with Nebraska's.

I've seen literally dozens of these kinds of reviews at companies with varying degrees of health. It doesn't inherently mean anything.

• Fire 1

Eichorst approaches the AD (department and director job) from a very business-like perspective, where a lot of administrators from the state and longer tenured coaches want it to be more like friends and family dynamic, imo. Eichorst wants to be hands off, wants to do his job well and let others do their jobs well, and I can see how that can frustrate people with a different philosophy or perspective but there's hardly anything worth getting actually upset about or thinking he should be fired.

Yah, so did pederson...

• Fire 1

"You can't lead from under a rock."

Hopefully they are making sure Eichorst learned that important lesson.

By most accounts, he's quite chummy now that he has "his guy" so hopefully he has.

Do you think Pelini is someone who would have accepted more contact from the new A.D.? I don't. He would have hated it. He would've considered it micromanaging.

The idea of Eichorst learning a lesson from Pelini makes me laugh.

• Fire 3

More well spent money.....

I mean why do the job you're getting paid to do yourself when you can hire consultants to do it for you.

It has been my experience that these things are a joke and/or a witch hunt. They always seem to find "problems" even if none really exist. People won't keep hiring them to consult if the reports state everything is hunky dory. I've got an extremely jaded (and deservedly so) view of these things.

• Fire 1

By most accounts, he's quite chummy now that he has "his guy" so hopefully he has.

Do you think Pelini is someone who would have accepted more contact from the new A.D.? I don't. He would have hated it. He would've considered it micromanaging.

You're aware that he had a close relationship with Osborne right?

Probably drove pencil neck Perlman crazy.

• Fire 1

You're aware that Osborne was a football coach right? There's a reason I said new A.D. Pelini was never going to get along with Eichorst no matter what he did.

Also, comparing Eichorst to Osborne needs to stop. Osborne the A.D. was going to have a familiar relationship with the fb coach and the football players for obvious reasons. That doesn't mean it's a normal or even good way for your average A.D. to conduct business. It was the right way for Osborne to do it. Again, for obvious reasons.

• Fire 2

You're aware that Osborne was a football coach right? Pelini was never going to get along with Eichorst no matter what he did.

If eich understood leadership through service and loyalty, he likely would have. But a guy who hides in his office? Who's going to respect that?

Contrary to media perception, Pelini is quite personable on an individual basis.

• Fire 1

You're aware that Osborne was a football coach right? Pelini was never going to get along with Eichorst no matter what he did.
If eich understood leadership through service and loyalty, he likely would have. But a guy who hides in his office? Who's going to respect that?

Contrary to media perception, Pelini is quite personable on an individual basis.

I met Pelini twice. Being decent in person to a stranger isn't the same as accepting micromanaging from a non former football coach.

I'm not sure what you mean by media perception. We can all watch video. We don't need to hear anything from the media to see how Pelini is capable of acting.

This supporting Pelini over Eichorst stuff is absolutely baffling to me. The dude gave him an extra year after he was a complete ass during and after the Iowa game. He gave him more of a chance than he should have.

• Fire 7

You do realize i never said eich should micromanage right?

You do realize that you say "you do realize... Right?" or "you are aware of... Right?" all the time and it seems as though you're implying anyone you're saying it to is an idiot, right?

What I'm saying is if Eichorst had been anymore hands on with Pelini than he was, Pelini would have considered it micromanaging and would have hated it. There is nothing Eichorst would have/could have done that Pelini would ever have accepted. He would never have respected Eichorst simply because he was never a football coach.

This doesn't mean Eichorst is perfect, or even good at his job. But nothing Pelini says/said about him should be taken at all seriously or used as evidence against him.

• Fire 3