Athletic Department under review

Redux

Leadership is important. You want someone with the right vision, moving things forward. Right now what is the vision? The flagship program is mired in mediocracy, the basketball team took a step sideways, wrestling and baseball are barely holding on, not what they once were, and perhaps most shocking of all, the rifle team lost to Murray St. You would think just by the law of averages NU would just occasionally make it to the NCAA 2nd round.....crickets chirping....still nothing?

More well spent money.....

I mean why do the job you're getting paid to do yourself when you can hire consultants to do it for you.

It has been my experience that these things are a joke and/or a witch hunt. They always seem to find "problems" even if none really exist. People won't keep hiring them to consult if the reports state everything is hunky dory. I've got an extremely jaded (and deservedly so) view of these things.

Pretty much....

My experience with consultants is that they believe they are hired to find a problem.

If they say...."hey...everything's great". The customer won't be happy because they just wasted a lot of money.

They will find a problem even if none exists.

• Fire 1

I mean why do the job you're getting paid to do yourself when you can hire consultants to do it for you.

It has been my experience that these things are a joke and/or a witch hunt. They always seem to find "problems" even if none really exist. People won't keep hiring them to consult if the reports state everything is hunky dory. I've got an extremely jaded (and deservedly so) view of these things.

Pretty much....

My experience with consultants is that they believe they are hired to find a problem.

If they say...."hey...everything's great". The customer won't be happy because they just wasted a lot of money.

I wouldn't say that--I'm a consultant essentially. But I'm willing to bet a problem exists somewhere. I may not have the confidence in SilverStone to actually find the exact problem.

You do realize i never said eich should micromanage right?

You do realize that you say "you do realize... Right?" or "you are aware of... Right?" all the time and it seems as though you're implying anyone you're saying it to is an idiot, right?

What I'm saying is if Eichorst had been anymore hands on with Pelini than he was, Pelini would have considered it micromanaging and would have hated it. There is nothing Eichorst would have/could have done that Pelini would ever have accepted. He would never have respected Eichorst simply because he was never a football coach.

This doesn't mean Eichorst is perfect, or even good at his job. But nothing Pelini says/said about him should be taken at all seriously or used as evidence against him.

Why?

Because almost everything that Pelini said during tapegate 2 has been independently verified by others.

Why the irrational hatred toward a guy who salvaged the Husker program that was almost destroyed by Pederson and Callahan.

Someone who could do that is most certainly qualified to talk about football, including AD leadership.

• Fire 1

Pretty much....

Hah. There are tons of consultants hired to validate current practices.

And let's not lose sight of the methodology. Open ended survey questions were issued. Hard to invent something out of nothing when interpreting those.

• Fire 1

Other than the Bo fire/ Mike Riley hire, can someone enlighten me on what exactly Mr. Eichorst is under scrutiny for?

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

He's a lawyer.

He has red hair.

That's why people don't like him.

Now there may be things he's doing wrong but nobody on here actually knows what they are. They just have this "gut feeling" about him which stems from the fact that he's a lawyer who has red hair.

Wrong

• Fire 2

You do realize that you say "you do realize... Right?" or "you are aware of... Right?" all the time and it seems as though you're implying anyone you're saying it to is an idiot, right?

What I'm saying is if Eichorst had been anymore hands on with Pelini than he was, Pelini would have considered it micromanaging and would have hated it. There is nothing Eichorst would have/could have done that Pelini would ever have accepted. He would never have respected Eichorst simply because he was never a football coach.

This doesn't mean Eichorst is perfect, or even good at his job. But nothing Pelini says/said about him should be taken at all seriously or used as evidence against him.

Why?

Because almost everything that Pelini said during tapegate 2 has been independently verified by others.

Why the irrational hatred toward a guy who salvaged the Husker program that was almost destroyed by Pederson and Callahan.

Someone who could do that is most certainly qualified to talk about football, including AD leadership.

The only one with irrational hatred that has anything to do with this conversation as far as I'm aware of is Pelini. There does seem to be some irrational fanboying going on, though.

• Fire 5

Why?

The only one with irrational hatred that has anything to do with this conversation as far as I'm aware of is Pelini. There does seem to be some irrational fanboying going on, though.

Moiraine has been killing it in this thread trying to bring some common sense to it. Unless it is a hobby of yours, you may want to give up trying to get CM to change his mind on any given subject. He's set in his ways and anyone who disagrees with his revisionist theory gets the "you do realize" or "you are aware of" treatment as if his theory is common knowledge. His stance is that nobody should be in control of the football team or ad unless either being a former husker or picked by Tom to fill the role. Even though there is strong evidence that Tom isn't very good at picking HC's for the football team.

• Fire 5

How many other ADs have picked two coaches in a row that posted .700+ records?

And how many conference championships did those two win?
1 cc. 3 dv. And a NC appearance.

Thought this was common knowledge among husker fans.

That was kind of the point...

How can you say it's a "hands off business approach" when there are now reports he attends practice almost daily. Not to mention him breaking "policy" by twice issuing votes of confidence about Riley during the season.

The football program is only one piece of the athletic department. Showing up at some football practices doesn't do much for the volleyball, or wrestling (etc.) programs....