Black Woman Assaults White Man For Hairstyle; Not Charged With Any Crime

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/03/29/sfsu-investigating-video-of-black-woman-confronting-white-man-for-wearing-dreads/

"22 year old SF State Senior Cory Goldstein says he was walking on campus, and wanted a flier the woman was passing out. Goldstein says the woman told him, “We don’t want people with your hair coming to our event,” because it belongs to her culture.

Goldstein of San Diego – asks, “You’re saying I can’t have a hairstyle because of your culture? Why?”

The woman, identified in published reports and on social media as student employee Bonita Tindle, respond, “Because it’s my culture.”

More words are exchanged, but tension escalates when she tries to stop him from walking away."

This is clearly a hate crime. I don't know how any liberal white boy can defend this woman's racist actions. And, it happened in San Francisco, one of the most liberal cities in the entire world!

• Fire 1

I feel like you're missing the larger argument here.

A hate crime is a hate crime is a hate crime is a hate crime, and they're all awful and should all never happen. That a Black woman committed a "hate crime" against a White man doesn't negate or lessen the importance of the hate crimes committed by Whites against other minority members.

• Fire 6

A hate crime is a hate crime is a hate crime is a hate crime, and they're all awful and should all never happen. That a Black woman committed a "hate crime" against a White man doesn't negate or lessen the importance of the hate crimes committed by Whites against other minority members.

Was this a hate crime? Yes or no? Stop avoiding the issue. We are not talking about crimes whites commit against other minorities. We're talking about this specific incident. Stop being evasive.

Was this a hate crime? Yes or no? Stop avoiding the issue. We are not talking about crimes whites commit against other minorities. We're talking about this specific incident. Stop being evasive.

I'm not talking about crimes whites commit against other minorities. But it's painfully obvious (e.g., "liberal white boy") that you're posting this story with the intention of saying, "Look guys, minorities do it toooooooooo," which--though accurate--isn't profoundly new knowledge.

I'm arguing against the necessity of separating hate crimes by perpetrator-victim races. A hate crime is bad in and of itself, it's not any more or less bad because a white man/woman committed it on a black man/woman. It's simply awful.

But to answer your question: yes, if she assaulted him solely because he is white, it's a hate crime. The campus police didn't do their job.

• Fire 2

I'm not talking about crimes whites commit against other minorities. But it's painfully obvious (e.g., "liberal white boy") that you're posting this story with the intention of saying, "Look guys, minorities do it toooooooooo," which--though accurate--isn't profoundly new knowledge.

I'm arguing against the necessity of separating hate crimes by perpetrator-victim races. A hate crime is bad in and of itself, it's not any more or less bad because a white man/woman committed it on a black man/woman. It's simply awful.

But to answer your question: yes, if she assaulted him solely because he is white, it's a hate crime. The campus police didn't do their job.

fwiw....the police said he could file charges against her for assault and hate crimes....but he declined to press charges. I am not sure if the police can proceed without the victim pressing charges.

• Fire 4

fwiw....the police said he could file charges against her for assault and hate crimes....but he declined to press charges. I am not sure if the police can proceed without the victim pressing charges.

Yeah, I actually read more of the story after posting that. Looks like the police did their job. My bad!

After reading the article, your comments actually make sense, Red Dead. :lol:

Cm, they said she could've been charged with battery and a hate crime.

Street, I don't think you'll get any "liberal white boys" trying to defend her. I don't know where you're getting that from. I'm pretty liberal, but I see it for what it is: she was being an idiot. She had a bone to pick with him for no good reason. Then she pulled him back when he was trying to leave, and accused him of putting hands on her. The video was pretty clear. She was being completely childish and moronic. I'd have been pissed if I were him too.

And yes, technically, it was a hate crime. I'm usually not a guy who tries to view the world as colorblind, but now is one of those times in which it is wise.

• Fire 1

I had a similar impression as RDR when I watched the video. Body language & tone-wise, the dreads-dude seemed a bit combative/instigating. The kid's comment about safety at the end reinforces this view a bit. I don't condone what she did/said, but I am curious what transpired that lead to the video... From the article, it sounds like the police & university are at least handling this appropriately based on what is *known*.

Not that it really matters, but I think there might be some history between those two, or perhaps with that woman and someone else, or maybe even that guy with someone else in a similar situation.

I get the impression that the guy was expecting an altercation.

FWIW....I get a different impression. It looks to me like she was trying to instigate a retaliation. i think he was lucky someone caught the scene with their cell phone. she sure didn't like that it was being recorded.

I had a similar impression as RDR when I watched the video. Body language & tone-wise, the dreads-dude seemed a bit combative/instigating. The kid's comment about safety at the end reinforces this view a bit. I don't condone what she did/said, but I am curious what transpired that lead to the video... From the article, it sounds like the police & university are at least handling this appropriately based on what is *known*.

I had a similar feeling. He certainly responded to her initially with some surprising vigor. Almost lashing back out at her. I too would like to know about what happened before that video.

Commando's got a point, too. She was pissed when she found out about the recording, which portends that the slimier people can turn around and claim someone was the aggressor if there's no video or witnesses.

It was in a public place, so that wouldn't happen. Just a heads up-- always have a witness :lol: