Star Wars: Rogue One

You do realize that Ewoks were originally Wookies but they changed their mind, basically cut them in half and called them Ewoks.

I wonder if feelings would be different if it was Wookies fighting basically the same battle.

They were changed because Lucas knew selling Space Teddy Bears would be more profitable.

Ans yes, Wookies would be more believable.

• 4 months later...

I love this.

The climax of Rogue One is a truly relatable struggle: Uploading A Very Large File Under Time Constraints. We’ve all been there, albeit probably with less bloodshed.

Also:

Now that the new Star Wars is upon us — which, as we all know, is the real Reason for the Season — it’s time for what is now my yearly overthinking of the entire franchise. Last year, I came to the realization that if the galaxy had adequate women’s health care, Anakin would have never turned to the dark side. This year, I want to point out that Rogue One, a tremendously underrated installment of the series, is really about internet freedom.

• Plus1 1

"Every person in the Star Wars movies who is portrayed engaging in real-time long-distance communications is a member of the government in some capacity: Senator Palpatine / Darth Sidious, Darth Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and the Jedi Council. The Republic created a system in which only politicians and high-ranking members of a military religious order could use long-distance signals, and that set up the conditions in which the whole galaxy succumbed to a thinly veiled reference to Nazism."

This may not have been intentional, but there always was this political element in Star Wars, of how a brutal but dominant force such as the Empire (Nazis in space, naturally) could arise, how freedom could survive and struggle against it. It's not surprising that they hit upon some really meaningful themes. The freedoms we hold dear require a constant vigilance against conditions that allow them to be undermined.